Sign in to follow this  
Keter

Interactive GOH map (discussion)

Hi all! At start I want to apologize for my english knowlege. But I hope you understand me :classic:

There are some services which provide to creat your own image-map with markers on it. Each marker could be a text or image and show more info by hovering or clicking on it. Also with using of Google maps API it is possible to creat a map from image which would have zoom function as real map on Google Maps.

So finaly Idea is to creat interactive GoH map, with zoom function and markers of MoC locations.

You have country on the map and could ask map-moderator to put your new MoC as marker at the any place of your country. When other people look through the map they could hover mouse to the marker and show main photo of work, short description and url to the MoC topic.

What we need to creat such map?

1) Time. It takes much time to creat this map.

2) Some known in google maps API: need to creat an interface which provide to creat your own map from high-rez image, cut it to the sections and use Zome function. Also it should be easy way to add new markers.

I saw such service here http://fotokarta.info/custom-map/ (it is a russian service, but you dont need to understand russian language to find LotR map on this page and see it's abilities)

There they dont use photos on markers, but it is also posible.

3) High-size map of each Guild. We could make one map for all Guilds or different maps for each one. We could also make service which could provide each member to make interactive map of his own GoH country.

As I think it could bring GoH to a new level. We wouldnt need to find MoCs in large lists. Open map, found country (or member) you are interested in and see previews of his MoCs as markers. Some historical events, wars, guild events (as Frozen Beyond) could be shown as markers (do you know were appeared all frozen invaders? Find speshial Snow Markers to see it!)

Also we could create Capitals and trade ports by power of members - add all MoCs which show us capital of Avalonia to one marker, hover it and see all info about Albion.

I know that it is a hard-realising idea, but I want to know if somebody interested in it.

Want to hear your opinion about this project. How do you think is it possible to realize it? What do you want to add or change in it?

Wait for your answers!

Such a map would be excellent to have! Though you are right, it would be really hard to actually create. At this point the best thing to do is to see if anyone in GoH has any knowhow with the google maps API, which would be a big first step so they could guide whats possible and not possible in attempting to create something like this.

I think using an English based site is the only realistic way as GoH members are predominately English speakers.

Such a map would be excellent to have! Though you are right, it would be really hard to actually create. At this point the best thing to do is to see if anyone in GoH has any knowhow with the google maps API, which would be a big first step so they could guide whats possible and not possible in attempting to create something like this.

I think using an English based site is the only realistic way as GoH members are predominately English speakers.

Russian web-site was only to show you what I meaning =) Actualy, yes, it should have english interface.

It is possible to find outsorce programmers to make an interface, I think it will not cost too much.

Russian web-site was only to show you what I meaning =) Actualy, yes, it should have english interface.

It is possible to find outsorce programmers to make an interface, I think it will not cost too much.

Unless someone volunteers to pay for it, it would be best if there were a free option I think.

Unless someone volunteers to pay for it, it would be best if there were a free option I think.

Yes, thats clear.

Wait for other member's opinion!)

Nice idea, this was done also for BoBS, with great results. I think IT was Elostirion over there, maybe we should talk with him?

Nice idea, this was done also for BoBS, with great results. I think IT was Elostirion over there, maybe we should talk with him?

Have you got a link to a BoB's map?

Good map! But not the same as I thought =)

I will try to make more concrect vision of my idea soon with pictures and schemes.

So finaly we should have site with three functions:

1) Map with zoom function and showing info after you hover marker function.

5Vt4Funz-uM.jpg

IuyUOPkYWhQ.jpg

Fbl9pnSZJx0.jpg

2) List of all markers from map. Database with sorting by MoC Name/Author/Guild/Country/Year and all other info. So everyone could find all MoCs at the list too.

3) Special interface for moderators to add new MoCs as markers and to database.

Edited by Keter

Thank you for proposing this idea, Keter, and for providing a foothold for how to set this up. :thumbup:

Personally, I would love to discover Historica and its various creations through an interactive map, rather than a list of links. I think with a function like clicking on a city (or other geographical name) to show the MOCs in that area, it is manageable. It also makes it easier for the builder to tell the moderator where to put it, especially if you stick to working with general locations, under which you put the creations. With 'general', I'm thinking like mountain ranges, deserts, forests and plains, which could be split in a north/south/east/west part depending on their size, and cities, which includes surrounding lands and smaller towns.

This way, there won't be a need to constantly add new locations (though it is possible if a certain area name gets too crowded with MOCs) and it also still allows for exploring new areas beyond the resolution of the map, a freedom that builders should always have.

These are my thoughts for now. :classic:

If we can get it to work it would be splendid. I would love to be able to explore Historica that way, and I just love maps, too. Unfortunately I lack the skills needed to set such a thing up, but hopefully someone out there has them!

Such an amazing idea... Interactive map like google maps would be awesome....

I would be more than happy to help with anything I can like indexing or creating icons or whatever.

Great idea !

I like this map concept !

The interactivity added to the simplicity of runing on a map is seductive.

I would like to help, but I think I lack some skills in map making. Anyway, if you need help on this project I will try to give a hand !

Thanks all for your answers! I am realy happy to see that this project is interesting for GoH members!

Last day I thought about project and have some additions to my previous ideas.

I think that would be better to make political map, which would be split by four guilds. Each guild will have it's own main color.

Each guild have 'countries' inside it controlled by members of GoH. Each country would have it's own shade of main color.

Finaly it would be something like this (fast sketch, without anny real information about GoH world, only to show what I mean)

jsUEQ6I9kOI.jpg

The main question is how would we create this map? For me is best way is to creat it with using Flash technology. Look here to see what I mean. With using of this method each country inside map could be done as separate object.

If each country is a separate object we could give members ability to control their own country by themselfs:

How it would be look like?

At first we have a map which separate for 50(?) countries for each guild. Each member could register on site. After registration member chose one of free countries from his guild (we dont need to repaint borders each time, it would be done at start)

At the territory of his own country each member could add new markers. Also could be done function for two members who want to control one territory together. And also all members could add their MoCs to the capitals or trade ports. Only owner of the marker could change or delete it.

With using of Flash technology we also could have info about territory after hover it on the map.

B_fJfhLp9nk.jpg

You hover territory and see owner, number of MoCs and short info. After it you could click on territory and open new window with it.

NB3abytICwk.jpg

On this page you will find all info about this member, his country and mocks. You could hover each marker on the map and it would be URL to this MOC on Eurobricks.

If you are owner of this country you see 3 buttons for control your markers.

You could click on "add new marker", chose place on your land and write info to complete the adding of new marker.

*What is it? (City, Event, Special GoH event Moc, your GoH story)

*Name of marker

*url to Eurobricks topic

*description of marker

*photos.

Write it, submit and you will have new marker on your land.

Also One marker could have one, two or more MoCs inside it. (need time to understan how should it look like)

I am very interested in your comments about it!

I thinks that would work, but keep in mind that Avalonia is the only one using counties.

I thinks that would work, but keep in mind that Avalonia is the only one using counties.

Ou, forgot about it...

May be other guids would also use countries after this project would be ended? =D

Anyway I think it is not a problem. We could split territories not by countries but by geographical regions - mountains, plains and other and give members of guilds ability to add markers there. I think it is also could work =)

This way map would be more geographical but also would be split for many Flash parts. We would not have any limits for members this way, each member of guild could add info to his guild. But we should have a moderator to check new additions.

Edited by Keter

Ou, forgot about it...

May be other guids would also use countries after this project would be ended? =D

Anyway I think it is not a problem. We could split territories not by countries but by geographical regions - mountains, plains and other and give members of guilds ability to add markers there. I think it is also could work =)

This way map would be more geographical but also would be split for many Flash parts. We would not have any limits for members this way, each member of guild could add info to his guild. But we should have a moderator to check new additions.

I think that would work better.

The other guilds do have cities, so these should certainly be added

I think that would work better.

The other guilds do have cities, so these should certainly be added

And what should we do with Avalonia this way? Probably we could split avalonia by countries and other guilds by objects. Need to discuss it with higher members of Avalonia later.

So for this project we need:

1) Final version of technical specifications (I will try to make it, but will need help of all members of GoH. Probably will start some questionaries to understand what would be better for all)

2) Map creator, who could make a great map for all GoH guilds.

3) Flash master

4) Magister of web technology

5) Icon artist for all icons, markers and other simple parts of the site.

Edited by Keter

Question to the GoH members!

1) What info about MoC could we have?

Author, Name of MoC, Guild, Description, what else?

I checked Avalonia again, there we have a map for geography separating.

8280291558_b004c69dd9_z.jpg

About countries - in Avalonia they play to less role for each separate member. We havent got any trades or wars between countries so I think that would be ok if we dont use them in the final version of map. How do you think?

So we have 4 maps.

8280291558_b004c69dd9_z.jpg16506967982_c52eb1265e_b.jpg25154188325_a3d6a3aaf2_b.jpg6472650009_8724f3d20a_z.jpg

I think that one of the main deal we have is to make one large map for all GoH lands. It should be suitable for separating to the geographical parts as mountains, plains, cities with nearest lands and other.

Some words about user interface:

1) Map view: When user go to the site he see a large map of GoH with four guilds on it. This map is more schematic. User could hover each guild and will see info about it: Name, short description, user qty. He could click each guild.

After he click one of the guild he would see a map of it. It is more concrect but a bit schematic too. It has all objects as mountains, plains, isles, cities and others, but here user dont see markers. User hover mountains and see popup with it's name, description and qty of mocs on it. User could click on this territory and he will go to the detailed map of it. Here he could see markers. He hover on marker and see popup with all MoCs at this place. If user click on marker there would be open new window with list of MoCs, their info, description and url to the topics on EB.

2) On the main page each member could reguister to the guild. He should write his EuroBrick login (is it possible to make registration with using EB info?), name of sigfig and other info.

On the detailed map of territory each registered member could make a marker with his MoC (or add his moc to another marker). If he is not from the Avalonia but want to add freebuild Avalonian MoC he could add it with special marker.

3) We could make a counters of MoCs and Members. For example if you are Avalonian member and build Avalonian MoC it will add a point to Avalonian counter. But if you made freebuild to another Guilds it will not add any countries, so Guilds could compare with their member's activity (as Hogwarts =))

Edited by Keter

A detailed map will probably be the major challenge.

Than, for the other question: a date should certainly be added, and the guild the creator is member of.

A detailed map will probably be the major challenge.

Detaied map shouldnt be very realistic.

But if it is a mountains place it could have some roads, small willages, caves, ork camps and other.

I think that we could make some teamplates for each object on the map. And we would need only to combinate them in right positions.

Of course it will take a time, but I said at start that if we want to have a good result it would take a time.

Than, for the other question: a date should certainly be added, and the guild the creator is member of.

Yes, thanks! Thats right!

Have we got GoH members who had expearence in Map creating?