Erik Leppen

CoasterDynamix Lego-compatible roller coaster parts

Every roller coaster fan should check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/coasterdynamix

99940410151426327731431.jpg

It looks like CoasterDynamix are filling a huge hole in the market by creating Lego compatible roller coaster elements with which one can build realistic roller coasters using a Lego structure and CoasterDynamix track parts and cars.

This is going to be very interesting :D

Thanks to Leqa on Lowlug :)

Edited by Erik Leppen

Thanks for the link. It looks like an interesting kit with exciting possibilities.

Edited by Teessider

I was at brickworld this year and saw the kit in action, it is amazing. I was also lucky enough to be able to get a kit. I just got back last night so haven't had a chance to open it yet or upload my pics and video from brickworld yet but plan to soon, I will post when I do.

Saw this at Brickworld as well and I couldn't get one of these kits fast enough! This is exactly what I have been looking for. I have been fascinated with model rollercoasters for a long time- I got a Spacewarp set back in 1988 which I loved, and even got the first K-nex coaster in the 90's. Both were a lot of fun, and I learned a lot about physics messing around with them. I am really excited to see what I can come up with using this new system. I might have to build an amusement park!

I ordered one today - looks FAR to interesting to ignore, and for $100 (+ $60 shipping), not such a high risk if it's not so good.

I was at brickworld this year and saw the kit in action, it is amazing. I was also lucky enough to be able to get a kit. I just got back last night so haven't had a chance to open it yet or upload my pics and video from brickworld yet but plan to soon, I will post when I do.

Interesting! Wish to see the video.

I ordered one today - looks FAR to interesting to ignore, and for $100 (+ $60 shipping), not such a high risk if it's not so good.

$60 shipping? Where the hell are you? Mars? :wacko:

I bought this set at Brickworld last weekend. Since I am a pretty good LEGO builder, I figured I could throw together a model like the one shown below in a few hours for a teacher professional development workshop I am helping with (we did a section on potential and kinetic energy). I would highly recommend that people heed the "18+" age designation on the front of the box - although I have seen some pictures of box covers which say 16+ which is fine as well. The parts are terrific and work seamlessly with LEGO bricks. The difficulty is that the parts allow for very realistic curves, which makes them a bit tricky to build without much thought. With ball and socket joints, the track can be made to adjust to any angle so that any type of curve is possible. also the cars have metal wheels which roll very nicely along the track.

I did not get my demonstration model ready in time for my workshop; however, I will finish it this weekend. I can still show the teachers what I would have brought if I could have gotten it done. I think it will be a great model for the explanations I need to make - plus, I can then keep on going and make a more complete rollercoaster next week :classic:

Overall, the set allows for very realistic rollercoaster design of all types and is well worth the $100.

(There are videos here as well: http://www.thebrickfan.com/roller-coaster-factory-now-available-for-pre-order/)

Brickworld03_1024x1024.jpg?107

$60 shipping? Where the hell are you? Mars? :wacko:

Slough actually, although shipping it to my office in London. Shipping is what it is, but $160 in total is probably not a million miles from what something like this would cost in the UK anyway.

Has anyone received their order for these yet? I ordered in Jul 9, and still have not heard any word about it.

Has anyone received their order for these yet? I ordered in Jul 9, and still have not heard any word about it.

Ordered a few in July as well. Had an email in August stating there was a problem with the box printing.

I do want to assure you that we only delay things like this because we care about the quality. I do want to assure you that we only delay things like this because we care about the quality
First sets are shipping out today (5th October) ! We will ship in order that the order was placed!

Guess we just have to wait and see.

Edited by pe668

Yes, I received mine today. I am very glad I ordered 2 sets since the part count isn't real large, and 2 appears to be enough to recreate most wooden coasters I've encountered. Can't wait to build something.

Ok, there is an issue with the part count here. I started building something, and quickly realized that I am going to run out of the rail ties (with ball). There are 300 clips in the set, but only 100 rail ties. They should have come in complementary amounts since they are used exclusively to each-other. I should have noticed this before. Now I wish I had ordered 3.

Finally received my set earlier this week, after a very long wait. Interested to get into the set and see what's possible, but I'm also hoping others more creative than I will post some design ideas. As those who bought the set are well aware, it comes with no suggested builds, ideas, etc.

This looks very interesting But I would of rather the bricks come in a dark grey of black for the tracks.

Ok, there is an issue with the part count here. I started building something, and quickly realized that I am going to run out of the rail ties (with ball). There are 300 clips in the set, but only 100 rail ties. They should have come in complementary amounts since they are used exclusively to each-other. I should have noticed this before. Now I wish I had ordered 3.

I noticed that too, fortunately I did buy 3 sets as it was the max to still get $60 shipping. It's not great as in reality 3 sets gives you all the ball rail ties you need to use the first set and a lot of spare parts you can't use.

I'm still delighted, I think you could make some pretty impressive coasters even with 1 kit.

Finally received my set earlier this week, after a very long wait. Interested to get into the set and see what's possible, but I'm also hoping others more creative than I will post some design ideas. As those who bought the set are well aware, it comes with no suggested builds, ideas, etc.

I've been mulling this over for a while. I want to understand the physics first, so I'm going to build some simple drops and climbs, loops, bends, etc. to see what is possible. I'll just use the bare minimum bricks, beams and technics to find out the basics. Also need to work out how to build a chain lift with motor.

Once I've got that I'm thinking about using existing lego models as a basis for coasters. I have got my eyes on my daughter's King's Castle (70404) - thinking about doing the first frop through the portcullis gates. Probably dragon themed. I think you will need to pull the castle apart to some degree, and rebuild it with the features you want for your coaster and just use whatever bricks and accessories you can lay your hands on to complete the effect.

The possibilities are endless, depending on the existing Lego sets you can lay your hands on. Other thoughts i have had;

-TNMT based on the lair

-Batman based on Batcave

-LOTR based on Helps Deep (and what might be possible with the Tower of Orthanc)

-and if you could get your hands on a UCS Deathstar!!

I've been playing with this set over the weekend and have some comments and tips to maybe help others out. I will consider taking pictures if there seems to be interest in it.

My first attempt at building with this set was a failure. I began by building a tall structure, attaching the slips and ball ties, then trying to attach the rails. I broke several of the rare and critical tie rods with ball. This is due to the length and rigidness of the rails that pull and twist your parts apart.This is not the way to build this.

I found success by attaching the slips to the rail, placing a ball-clip every few inches, closer together on corners and bends. TO make corners, I put the tie-clips very close together (on the inside rail of the corner) then attach the outside rail spacing the tie's further apart on that end. Then adjust the ball clips to align to the Lego system elements to attach without strain. This is still very tricky but I am starting to get the hang of it.

I had the set since June and made a little Friend coaster for a July Brickfete event. It was madness getting things to work and the chains to motorize it didn't arrive. The fun part was there was no instructions and you do learn a lot from experimentation. I noticed the clutch power of my wheel set was not that strong. A hard change of direction can send Mia to her death. The wheel set continues to follow the track while the passenger car goes crashing to the ground. A bit of white glue helps. :classic:

Picture20567_zps67493735.jpg

Very cool, do you have any more photos of it? I thumbed through your brichshelf and flickr pages, but didnt see them. Thanks.

Oh that looks good. I'm clearly struggling too hard. Thanks for posting that picture, it really helps embolden and inspire me. I was getting pretty frustrated a couple days ago.

Guys I totally forgot about this thread when I made my last coaster. I was going through my videos on my phone and realized I never uploaded it to youtube, so here is my coaster, I made this a couple of months ago,

and here is an in progress shot of my new one, I ran out of pieces lol. 10447602604_022f329b1c.jpg

Untitled by fluffybunny88, on Flickr

10447648235_6f03891ace.jpg

Untitled by fluffybunny88, on Flickr