Has anything like this ever happened to you?

According to the Swedish news agency TT, a Lego collector in Halmstad, Sweden is to be compensated by the customs office in Sweden. He had bought an anniversary edition of some Star Wars set from Hungary, but when he recieved the supposed to be MISB item, it had been opened by the customs (in search of ripoffs maybe :classic: ). The market price was about € 200, but with the seal broken it's value is only about half as much. He will now be compensated with the difference in value...

If I had been a collector and not a builder I suppose I would rather have had that MISB than the compensation.

/Thomas

I would rather have a replacement MISB set. Most collectors know that the monetary value doesn't always add-up to what something is really worth. Some collectible items take time to track down, so it's not as much a monetary iusse as it is a time, effort, and availability issue.

It's a shame. I hope this collector is able to find another MISB copy.

I have had things opened by customs both that I have sent and received. They do it quite a bit in the UK. It has never happened with an actual LEGO set, but I did have a package of BBB wheels from the USA opened before they got to me

I'd definitely be upset, but this has yet to happen to me. There's no way the money they give him will make up for the profit he would have made, depending on the set, of course.

I bought two unopened Elrond polybags from Netherlands. When they arrived at my house in Australia the package and one of the ploys had been opened by customs. I was a bit annoyed but it wasnt the end of the world as I had planned to open one anyway and put the second one away in my collection.

The customs guys are just doing their jobs...watching the border patrol shows on TV people are always finding new and ingenious ways to smuggle illegal stuff now days.....

these also happens in my country. i never buy a LEGO set from outside my country, but my friend experienced similiar thing. one of the reeason i never buy anything from international online shop, i think. but well, just like Slobey said, opening the seal are necessary sometimes. there is one time i read at newspaper that the customs found an illegal drugs inside a sealed book. if they can hide an illegal drugs inside a book, who knows what can they hide using a big LEGO set box.

The worst thing you can ever ship is a sand sculpture (those thingy's with the layers of sand in different colors).... I actually know someone who was clueless enough to send one in the mail... they thought "THIS SIDE UP"... was enough warning for the postal officials... Needless to say, the recipient got a box with loose colorful sand in it.... :sick: I still get a chuckle every time I think about it....

Whenever I buy a MISB set, it's in order to open it myself. So I wouldn't mind if customs decided to open it for me and pay half of my expenses as a result. :tongue:

The customs guys are just doing their jobs...

When asked, do they say that "they are just following orders"?

The main beneficiaries by far of customs agencies are customs officials (and their pensions). When custom checks were relaxed between EU countries (EEC countries as they were then), there were no deleterious consequences. And if customs checks were similarly relaxed between all advanced industrialised countries, the net effect would be more global trade and prosperity.

The main beneficiaries by far of customs agencies are customs officials (and their pensions). When custom checks were relaxed between EU countries (EEC countries as they were then), there were no deleterious consequences. And if customs checks were similarly relaxed between all advanced industrialised countries, the net effect would be more global trade and prosperity.

Mate it's not some big capitalist conspiracy... The job of customs is to stop illegal or otherwise undesirable products from entering the country. In my case I had a small package containing 2 bags originating from the Netherlands, I don't blame them for being a bit suspect. I don't see how customs has a negative effect on global trade and prosperity.

You make it sound like a war or something. This isn't the holocaust happening and a soldier sending people to die. It's a lego set. :tongue:

I think the compensation is fair. But move along. There are about 1000000 worse things in the world that need fixing.

Edited by BrickG

O'Hare airport security opened my purchases as I made my way back to Canada. I didn't care since all the pieces were there. But if it was a MISB collectible item, I'd be livid.

O'Hare airport security opened my purchases as I made my way back to Canada. I didn't care since all the pieces were there. But if it was a MISB collectible item, I'd be livid.

I agree. If it were 10179 UCS Falcon, I'd be very upset. That can only be replaced by another MISB copy.

thomol, do you know which set it was?

I agree. If it were 10179 UCS Falcon, I'd be very upset. That can only be replaced by another MISB copy.

thomol, do you know which set it was?

I have no idea. The original text only mentions a Star Wars "anniversary" edition, what ever that may be.

/Thomas

I have no idea. The original text only mentions a Star Wars "anniversary" edition, what ever that may be.

/Thomas

That's probably one of the 2009 10th Anniversary sets, probably 8038 Battle of Endor:

8038-1.jpg

It sells for around $200 new and $100 box opened, so, because it fits the criteria, I believe it's the set!

Best to buy within your own country. Customs is hit or miss. Some times it seems like they randomly check my stuff.