Sign in to follow this  
badboytje88

The lost city of Atlantis

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The lost city of Atlantis

There had been a powerful empire located to the west of the Pillars of Hercules (what we now call the Straight of Gibraltar) on an island in the Atlantic Ocean. The nation there had been established by Poseidon, the God of the Sea. Poseidon fathered five sets of twins on the island. The firstborn, Atlas, had the continent and the surrounding ocean named for him. Poseidon divided the land into ten sections, each to be ruled by a son, or his heirs.

The capital city of Atlantis was a marvel of architecture and engineering. The city was composed of a series of concentric walls and canals. At the very center was a hill, and on top of the hill a temple to Poseidon. Inside was a gold statue of the God of the Sea showing him driving six winged horses.

About 9000 years before the time of Plato, after the people of Atlantis became corrupt and greedy, the gods decided to destroy them. A violent earthquake shook the land, giant waves rolled over the shores, and the island sank into the sea, never to be seen again.

Untill today!

4212547521_0d21543b1e_b.jpg

For more detailed pics please check out my flickr account here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/badboytje88/4212547521/

Thanks for watching, please leave a comment if you enjoyed my Atlantis MOC.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

This is altogether wonderful! I particularly like the use of Kranxx's head as part of an Atlantean's 'pet', and the poor fellow tied to the mast. Trying to resist the sirens, perhaps? The tattered sail looks great, and all of your seawead is phenomenal. :thumbup:

Nice scene. I really like all the sea creatures you've created: very creative. The temple is really well done as well. I just don't like the mix of yellow and flesh minifigs.

I really love the detail put nto this.

If you stare at it long enough you'll find more and more to love. The SP krang? head is a nice touch.

I like the use of Leia's torso as a swimmer(Go SW).

Very creative, when I clicked on this thread I was expecting actual Atlantis sets put together, but this is way better!

Wow, you've really used your imagination on this! I just love how you've put together minifig parts and other pieces from a variety of themes to create a versatile merfolk. It's funny that you didn't even use any official mermaid tails or Atlantis figs to create this, and yet the result looks authentic! I didn't even pay any attention to the mixture of skin tones, somehow it just fits this crazy bunch. My favorite is definitely the red octopus lady riding a sea serpent, btw.

This is definitely a MOC that impresses you more the longer you keep staring at it - there's just an incredible amount of details and thought put to it. So very well done, indeed! :thumbup:

Like I've said on Flickr, this is awesome. I like it that you've extended the new LEGO Atlantis theme in something this cool. All the creatures are so creative and I think the differences in colour of minifigures works really well, it brings much diversity in this underwater world. Your Medusa is really awesome. The colours are very vibrant and although the architecture is simple, it works really well. Maybe it can look a bit more like real ruins, but perhaps you were going for a completed look of the temple. The greenery, the seaweed looks actually natural. I hope to see some more of these Atlantis MOCs! :thumbup:

I'm going to say it again; I really love your design of a Grindylow. It can't be done better with official LEGO pieces, normal bricks wouldn't work out so well and it wouldn't be recognisable (to the Harry Potter fans). That Space Police alien head is just perfect, it even fits within the scale. I was breaking my head how to do them a couple of days ago, you've given me the solution and I'll give you credit for sure. Now I just have to get my hands on a couple of those heads. :hmpf:

I particularly like the use of Kranxx's head as part of an Atlantean's 'pet', and the poor fellow tied to the mast. Trying to resist the sirens, perhaps?

That was exactly what I was going for! I love those classic tales and myths!

Nice scene. I really like all the sea creatures you've created: very creative. The temple is really well done as well. I just don't like the mix of yellow and flesh minifigs.

Well normally I really dislike mixing the skintones but I really wanted to use the red top torso and the green poison Ivey torso, so I ended up mixing flesh and yellow (and grey, green, white, tan, sand blue and green). You could always say the yellow figs are salt water mermaids and the flesh figs are fresh water mermaids. :grin:

Very creative, when I clicked on this thread I was expecting actual Atlantis sets put together, but this is way better!

Maybe I should have given this topic a different title...

It's funny that you didn't even use any official mermaid tails or Atlantis figs to create this, and yet the result looks authentic!

I personally really dislike the mermaid tale... I've made mermaids like this since I got my first pair of flippers and love the amount of color the flippers are available in these days. If you add a hinge you can even make the tales posable. As far as the Atlantis figs go, I just own the shark, and didn't want to mix him with my two other sharks, I like mine better! :blush:

Maybe it can look a bit more like real ruins, but perhaps you were going for a completed look of the temple.:thumbup:

I'm going to say it again; I really love your design of a Grindylow. It can't be done better with official LEGO pieces, normal bricks wouldn't work out so well and it wouldn't be recognisable (to the Harry Potter fans). That Space Police alien head is just perfect, it even fits within the scale. I was breaking my head how to do them a couple of days ago, you've given me the solution and I'll give you credit for sure. Now I just have to get my hands on a couple of those heads. :hmpf:

I was going for the ruined look at first, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted, so I changed it back. As far as the Grindylow goes, sure you can use it! I'm really fond of it myself. I wanted to add one in lime green too, but couldn't find the new space police sets in any toy shop... As for the head:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID...4&colorID=4

Thanks for your comments guys, I appreciate it a lot! :cry_happy:

Edited by badboytje88

Outstanding work. The sunken ship's sails are very neatly done, and the seaweed really seems to be living. :classic:

All of the seacreatures are great aswell, very good combos of parts on those. The Powerminers monsters' heads as rocks is a brilliant idea!

You really captured the "typical" life on the bottom on the sea! :classic:

TT

Hello!

That's a fantastic underwater scene! :classic: Normally I find it difficult to get an underwater feeling when looking at the typical official deep sea sets. But here you can feel the water flow around the scene. I am especially impressed by all the lovely underwater creatures you invented. They're very original and contribute much to the scene. The technique for the scraps of sails from the shipwreck is also remarkable. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

The Powerminers monsters' heads as rocks is a brilliant idea!

I've been hearing a lot of positive things about use of the powerminer monster heads... And that was one of the least complex things in the MOC. :tongue:

If i may ask, what is a Grindylow? :sceptic:

Lord Voldemort

:classic:

Someone with your name should know that. :tongue:

It's a Grindylow:

A grindylow is a folkloric creature that originated from folktales in the English county of Yorkshire.

Grindylows are a sort of "bogeyman" used as a ploy to frighten children away from pools, marshes or ponds; they are said to grab little children with their long arms and fingers and devour them if they come too close to the water's edge. They appear as some kind of light mud colored octopuses with large heads and big yellow eyes. Peg Powler and Jenny Greenteeth are similar water spirits.

review_merperson_3.jpg

(the one on the right in the picture)

Hello!

The technique for the scraps of sails from the shipwreck is also remarkable.

Thanks, but I don't think I was the first one to use this technique. I believe I've seen it before, but I don't know who used it first. But who cares!

Thanks for all the kind words guys and girls, I really appreciate it! Oh and SlyOwl (or should we call you HappyOwl from now on?) thanks for the blog on the front page of eurobricks. It's an honor! :cry_happy:

Bart

Amazing job with good use of pieces, minifigures and other parts all together. I also see Jar Jar, which is worth a 10/10 on it's own.