• Pieces: 64
  • Minifigures:
  • * Diver
  • * Shark
  • Price: US $9.99 / EUR 9,95
  • Ages: 6 - 12
  • Released: January 2010
  • Theme: Atlantis

After the news that the Dutch shopping-chain V&D was selling the Atlantis sets, I tried my luck and headed out to one of their stores. Upon arriving I didn't find any Atlantis sets. Apparently they decided to wait 1 more week so that they can launch with a big sale. But fortunately for me, there was a small table with some toys on display including to boxes of this 8057 Wreck Raider. Priced at EUR 9,95.

4140707636_a7519f880e.jpg

The box itself is a basic box with a perforated opening on the side. On the back it features some of the playability functions like flick-fire missiles (or some sort of hook contraption) and the rotating engines.

4140707758_7ca52feee3.jpg

But it's the inside of the box that counts. 2 bags, with a small bag inside one of them which includes the collectors item of the new Atlantis series. I'm still not sure what it is, but it's a nice addition anyway. The instructions come folded and features a new Nielsen ad. And last but not least, a small sticker sheet to complement your model.

4140707812_f265fc19ce.jpg

4139947795_1768c0e17c.jpg

The manual doesn't use a pieces call-out, but it's a small and quick build, so that shouldn't be much of a problem for most of us. Colours are good, and a small error was present on which the wing stickers are wrong. But that's no big deal.

4140708136_bcd7e41c66.jpg

Between all the parts I spotted some new pieces (at least to me). Of course it features the new diving suit with a trans-green visor, and the new 1x3 tile. Also included is the gold trident, the collectors ring and some lime-green studs and cylinders. Also present in the picture above is the shark head.

4140708806_912db62009.jpg

The best part of this set by far is the new diver minifig. I really love it! He's printed all over (excluding arms and back of legs) with an intricate print of diving related tubes and logos. He features lime green flippers and the new divers-backpack with a non-moving visor and technic-pin-sized-hole. But I guess you don't want your visor to open while you're working a couple of honderd feet under water :)

4140708396_14b8449e49.jpg

The shar figurine is also a piece of art. It features a beautiful head print and a sea-ish print on the front. No back print however, but he has a leg print! His head is made out of a soft rubbery material used for several other heads.

4140709208_6abb08bf47.jpg

Then the raider it self; It's a nice design. The shape featured on the front is very nice and fits nicely to the other Atlantis sets. The colour combination of red and dark grey looks stunning and it also features some lime green details. I feel the stickers add to this model with some nice white stripes on the front and top and a nice pattern on the wings. I like the engines, but they should have been a bit more to the back. It's to close to the wings.

Concluding I can really recommend this set to anyone who is interested in this new series. It's features to beautiful minifigs and some new 2010 parts.

4140709330_912d3ff070.jpg

More pictures on my Flickr

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and Poll added

Great review! This has been the set I'm most excited about getting (mainly for that eyepatch head), but the body of the sub doesn't disappoint! I have a question, though, how many pieces does it have? It says on the box in NA, but obviously not where you live. It's sort of a nice thing to include in reviews.

A great review of a great set. For me this is a must have Atlantis set, the Shark Figure and Diver MiniFig without an over large red vehicle. To be fair I actually quite like the vehicle in this set, it has a nice design and looks reasonably realistic. But the Shark Person is the best part I think.

Great review! This has been the set I'm most excited about getting (mainly for that eyepatch head), but the body of the sub doesn't disappoint! I have a question, though, how many pieces does it have? It says on the box in NA, but obviously not where you live. It's sort of a nice thing to include in reviews.

I'm not sure, I couldn't find it on Brickset and Peeron is not responding. It's indeed not included on the box in Western Europe.

According to Brickpedia however it's 64 pieces. I'll update my post.

Nice little set. I got two Atlantis ones of my own. I think I may get that one.

By the way, the grappling-hook is ancient. :tongue:

By the way, the grappling-hook is ancient. :tongue:

:grin: I had no idea, i'm mainly a Technic collector. I only started to buy non-Technic sets about a year ago. And it's not that ancient that I could have had it from my childhood I guess, or I would have recognized it. :wink:

Edited by MayTheBricksBeWithYou

:grin: I had no idea, i'm mainly a Technic collector. I only started to buy non-Technic sets about a year ago. And it's not that ancient that I could have had it from my childhood I guess, or I would have recognized it. :wink:

It's at least 12 years old, I'm pretty sure one was in an Outback set.

So it depends on what "ancient" means to you, and how "ancient" you are. :tongue:

It's at least 12 years old, I'm pretty sure one was in an Outback set.

So it depends on what "ancient" means to you, and how "ancient" you are. :tongue:

Uhm, I'm more from the mid-80's Fabuland and later the classic space lines 'era' :) I skipped over a lot of the later sets when I grew older and started collecting in favour of Technic. But thanks for the info! I had no idea :)

Thanks for the review! This looks a like a good set to start with for Atlantis- it's cheap, it outlines the basic design of the "good guy" vehicles, and includes the new diver minifig and a monster fig. There's not much else to this set, but I'm really liking all of these new parts this year- for all themes.

Also, may I suggest you try the Reviewers Academy to hone your reviews? I can see already that you have knack for it. :wink:

Great review of a great set! This is my most wanted Atlantis set. The vehicle is great as well as the minifigs. $10 isn't bad, but it seems like it should be a $5-6 set.

This might be the only Atlantis set I'll buy, because of it's price and my son would love to have the machine and the shark guy!

Thanks for a great and detailed review. :classic::thumbup:

The fancy underwater vehicle I love it :wub: , it's cool looking.

I can see at least this set flying off store shelves when it's released next year.

Priced at 10 bucks US, then I would say it could go for 12 dollars in Australia.

Thanks for the review!

This is one of my fave sets for atlantis! :thumbup: Even though it seems a bit pricey :sceptic:

But the figs make it worth it! Can you please take a picture of the sharkman without the shark head. thanks.

Thanks for the review!

This is one of my fave sets for atlantis! :thumbup: Even though it seems a bit pricey :sceptic:

But the figs make it worth it! Can you please take a picture of the sharkman without the shark head. thanks.

Sure :)

4140708734_f7fa8ef411.jpg

It was already present in my Flickr set, but not in my review. But here it is anyway :)

Sure :)

4140708734_f7fa8ef411.jpg

It was already present in my Flickr set, but not in my review. But here it is anyway :)

Oh my bad, thanks :thumbup:

I thought hehad a regular head underneath it though thats all

This is a cute set with useful parts, and this review has only solidified my want for it.

Hmmm... I bet that minifigure is the bad guy who turns out to be in league with the shark people and betrays the rest of the team only to be disintegrated by the spectacular light from the temple, or eaten by a Kraken, or crushed when the temple collapses, or some such ballyhoo.

I was waiting to see what the set around this size would look like and I'm quite impressed :sweet:

The speeder looks great, very SNOTy and a good size. :classic:

I'll definatly be getting this. :thumbup:

I love the grappling hook pieces, I want to say I've seen them before, but I'll have to visit bricklink to be sure.

Nice review!

I own this set and like it.

The shark guy is the only Atlantis minifigure which does not include a standard minifigure head.