hawkyboy4

New Theme Topic?

Over the time that I have been a member of Eurobricks, I have been amazed at how many military (this includes war scenes) and apocalypse MOC's have been submitted, and they seem to swamp the "Other Themes" topic. I'm probably the only one thinking this, however, is it time for a new topic, devoted to all that is LEGO war?

Hopefully something like this has no already been mentioned (I have searched for this, nothing came up).

So what's your opinion?

I'm probably the only one thinking this, however, is it time for a new topic, devoted to all that is LEGO war?

You mean a new (sub)forum?

If you ask me, I'm totally against it, because I usually prefer the more 'peaceful' LEGO themes. But I think this discussion has been brought up many times before, so let's not go there. All of the theme forums so far have actual current or LEGO lines from the recent past backing them up. So that at least seems to be one criterion for setting up a separate theme forum that a (contemporary) 'war' theme doesn't meet.

Something along these lines was tried long time ago, under the name of Eurobricks Nations. It did involve not only posting and discussing military MOCs, but also a sort of loose RPG... As you can easily see, the project did not last long.

Personally, I can appreciate a good MOC of a military vehicle, as much as I appreciate one of any other theme, but I do not see a need for a sub category (or even a sub-forum) for them.

After all, one could argue that a lot of MOCs posted in the SciFi, History and Action forums would fall into this theme. We do not want a revolution of 4 forums when the current system works just fine.

I'd be happy for the military builders to have their own sub forum - so that way it will be easier for me to avoid them!

That's not to say I don't respect the talent that the tank builders have, it's just that I too don't think it appropriate for lego. It also reminds me of Mego Bloks!

A war sub-forum would be like an adult zone of sorts - a clearly sign posted area that users can opt into or out of.

I'm sure they'd appreciated it too if it means they don't have to hear people like me whining.

I'd be happy for the military builders to have their own sub forum - so that way it will be easier for me to avoid them!

A war sub-forum would be like an adult zone of sorts - a clearly sign posted area that users can opt into or out of.

I'm sure they'd appreciated it too if it means they don't have to hear people like me whining.

That's what I'm talking about, this would not only prevent people from wrongly placing their MOC's, it would also mean searches would be much easier for those looking for certain things.

That's what I'm talking about, this would not only prevent people from wrongly placing their MOC's, it would also mean searches would be much easier for those looking for certain things.

Forgive me, but I don't see the probelm. Let me make an example: when you search for Indian MOCs in the History forum, do you ask to put all the Roman or Greek MOCs in a sub-forum to clean the way?

I agree we have had a quite high number of militry MOCs lately, but looking at today's first page in this forum, I see just 5 of them out of 25+ topics, and they do not hinder the search for other 'themes' to me. It is not like when Technic and Action Figures were together, with like 3 or more Action Fifures topics per every Technic one.

You mean a new (sub)forum?

If you ask me, I'm totally against it, because I usually prefer the more 'peaceful' LEGO themes. But I think this discussion has been brought up many times before, so let's not go there. All of the theme forums so far have actual current or LEGO lines from the recent past backing them up. So that at least seems to be one criterion for setting up a separate theme forum that a (contemporary) 'war' theme doesn't meet.

I agree... war and legos don't go together.... I never played war with my legos as a child and if people want to make war theme layouts, then let them post in this area....

The complexity of (sub)forum adding makes people confused in the end what forum they should post in..

Keep it real and it is even better to keep it real simple :wink:

That's not to say I don't respect the talent that the tank builders have, it's just that I too don't think it appropriate for lego. It also reminds me of Mego Bloks!

I agree with that as well! Perfect way to say it too... megablocks and war theme go hand and hand.. look at the theme they mostly sell now Halo...? wtf and the mini figs look about as ugly as they come... mini Gi Joes seems like... they are supposed to be held back in complexity a bit for the imagination to take in effect, Right? Nope not megablocks... They should have a bottle of joint filler and modeling glue in them boxes... Megablocks never fit good in my book and the unique pieces that even a lego person at first glance would like to use, turns out they dont even work and hold right? wtf again!

if you do want a war theme area... why dont you make a MOC hand gun area as well (joke)

You know the type of kid that had legos on your street as a kid and every time you wanted to play legos with he would just make hand guns and run around the yard making shot gun noises with his mouth... meanwhile you were making a cool car or spaceship with details....

War games + legos in my book = (I would say it but it may offend a lot of people)

I think the Other Themes name should just stay, it's a perfect subforum for all those things (MOCs, reviews, discussions) without any particular theme. "LEGO War" just doesn't sound right at all. But I do recognize a lot of brilliant military-themed MOCs around, maybe a better solution is having a pinned thread or Military MOC Index inside the Other Themes subforum which will enable easy searching and browsing. I know it will be additional workload for the Mods but that's just my suggestion. default_classic.gif

EDIT: Sorry I overlooked that one, we already have a Military MOC Index.

Edited by KielDaMan

Then every new semi-theme would want one.

Currently all the sub-forums are for actual LEGO products, or licenses rather.

There has to be a line somewhere.

As for a sub-forum, I think we need separate forums for official lines, and then another one for MOCs and other things that don't fit into an official line (i.e. military, etc...)

As for a sub-forum, I think we need separate forums for official lines, and then another one for MOCs and other things that don't fit into an official line (i.e. military, etc...)

I could see a forum just for miscellaneous MOC's but that would kind of fall into the General forum I think.

<br>I think the Other Themes name should just stay, it's a perfect subforum for all those things (MOCs, reviews, discussions) without any particular theme. "LEGO War" just doesn't sound right at all. <br>EDIT: Sorry I overlooked that one, we already have a Military MOC Index.<br>
<br><br>I see what you are saying, however I'm not suggesting we change other themes to war, it is just an idea.<br>Thanks for the imput though.<br>

I agree... war and legos don't go together.... I never played war with my legos as a child and if people want to make war theme layouts, then let them post in this area....

So you've never played with imperial soldiers, knights or samurai before? War isn't limited to our modern area.

(Getting a sword in you is just as bad or worse than a bullet :laugh: )

I'm mostly a military MOCer, spread over different periods in history, but I find it a bit difficult to know where to post them. I have to post my Napoleonic MOCs in the pirates forum, while I feel they are a bit misplaced. (the focus there is Pirates, and historical MOCs get lost in the vast majoirty of true Pirate MOCs...) Roman legionaries would have to be posted in the historic themes forum while WWI or WWII MOCs have to be posted in the 'other themes'. Since I mostly build figures, I'd have to start a new thread for every figure in every subforum. (while they should all be in the historic themes forum...)

I'd like a military subforum aswell, it'd be great to have an overview of the military MOCs.

So you've never played with imperial soldiers, knights or samurai before? War isn't limited to our modern area.

(Getting a sword in you is just as bad or worse than a bullet :laugh: )

I'm mostly a military MOCer, spread over different periods in history, but I find it a bit difficult to know where to post them. I have to post my Napoleonic MOCs in the pirates forum, while I feel they are a bit misplaced.

I agree with this, not all MOC's of a certain era really belong in the theme that is suggested.

Oh, and could we please have a Knight or someone else add a poll, so we could see who is for the idea and who isn't?