Morgan19

Couple more "virtual decal" figs - Altair & Asuka

They look great! Though I don't think Altair has a mustache. :look: And what do you mean by "Virtual decal" figs?

This image shows him with a bit of stubble and a soulpatch, which I liked better than just a clean-shaven look. So I went with it. :wink:

"Virtual decal" means I make the custom decals myself in Illustrator, but don't actually print them out: they're Photoshopped onto a scanned minifig and adjusted to look like they're printed. It gives me a nice-looking final image without having to use up decal paper or brasso any figs.

m19

"Virtual decal" means I make the custom decals myself in Illustrator, but don't actually print them out: they're Photoshopped onto a scanned minifig and adjusted to look like they're printed. It gives me a nice-looking final image without having to use up decal paper or brasso any figs.

You mean you have scanned the minifig?

I like this idea since I want to improve my minifig-generator which does exactly this step of pasting on a web page.

Did you use a peace of paper as background?

Andreas

Yep! The short answer is that I scan each minifig on a flatbed scanner with the "lid" left open, and two sheets of white paper behind the fig. It's a fairly simple setup that I've found gives the perfect amount of lighting and detail; the double-sheet of paper gives the nice, consistently neutral grey background each time.

On a regular old flatbed scanner, pop open the top so the glass is bare. I put the fig face-down on the glass, then put two "supports" a few inches from the left and right of it– in my case, I use any flat-bottomed object that's about an inch tall. Then put two sheets of paper over the fig and the supports (the supports are there to keep the paper flat and not "bent" around the fig). I scan the fig in at 200 dpi, which gives me exactly the size I need for my images– which means every fig image I make is the same size right off the bat, without me having to guess how much to shrink them down.

m19

Edited by Morgan19

Tried that several times with two different printers and the results were far away from yours.

You mentioned using an old flat bed scanner?

Maybe that's the miracle (using another kind of sensor) ...

Andreas

Sorry, "regular old" is just a saying– as in there's nothing particularly fancy about it. :wink: The specific model is an HP Scanjet 8200, if that helps at all.

And you mentioned printers... These decals aren't actually printed, in case that's not clear. I'm scanning the minifigs themselves in and then copying the illustration directly onto the digital images. So there's no actual printing involved.

m19

Edited by Morgan19