Sign in to follow this  
MikeyB

Hamlet of Circardia Gatehouse

gatehouse9-M.jpg

gatehouse14-M.jpg

Watchmen's Log: Daily entry by Ra'an, Phoenix Guardsmen

Despite the reports of the attacks by Victor Revolword's minions throughout Historica, we have seen peace here in Circardia.

We have seen the first of the reinforcement sent by Artorious Rex cross the River Isca to help protect the lands.

gatehouse12-M.jpg

I'm sure Darno at the Stag's Head Inn will be happy with the additional business

The local farmers have been busy bring in their goods to stock the warehouses in case war comes to Circardia.

Young Cian brings hogs into town to the butcher

gatehouse15-M.jpg

And Sanil and his oldest son, Crayvon bring a load of apples.

gatehouse6-M.jpg

Inside the walls, Elina washes clothes while watching her baby as Karassis stops to speak with her.

gatehouse13-M.jpg

The men of the Phoenix Guard are prepared for what may come and take advantage of glass of mead from old man Durham.

gatehouse3-M.jpg

Roltic and Greffen, a friend of Orthus, prepare to head out to on a hunt hopefully to add some fine Circardia deer to the stores.

gatehouse2-M.jpg

No other events of note took place.

More photos:

gatehouse10-M.jpg

gatehouse11-M.jpg

gatehouse5-M.jpg

gatehouse6-M.jpg

couple notes:

I am not entirely happy with the base to the gatehouse but sadly I didn't have enough bricks of the same color to get the height I wanted.

Also this thing was tough to photograph with the back drop. I had designed it to break down into three section so I did some of the photos that way so you could see the details.

For more photos, click here

As always comments and critics welcomed

Edited by MikeyB

Surely a construction to take notice of it, worthy defence building against any minions, is good to see Avalonia is prepared for whatever may come.

I like the details on the bridge, is very large but very well done, the tower with the form of a triangle is a nice touch, but what I love most is the atmosphere of motion and common life in this Moc.

Great job. :classic::thumbup:

I like the tower design, and the tile work on the bridge. Lots going on here, and the story is great! I LOVE the swaddling clothes for the babe though, that is brilliant! :wub:

It´s just great Mikey! I really like the long bridge, giving it a very impressive look! The colourscheme on it with the tan is very eye pleasing.

And all the everyday life going on is so well done! Washing clothes and watching baby, love it!

You know that I´m planning a bridge?! :tongue::wink: Although not to a gate but still a bridge! :classic:

Very nice! lots of great details!

~Legoanrdo~

Very nice! It has that late 80's early 90's kinda feel to it. :thumbup: You nailed that washboard. Look's like Avalonia is going to stay on top! A few Avalonian's in a rowboat would've been cool but not necessary.

The angled section of the tower is great :thumbup: as does the drawbridge.

The landscaping is excellent too :classic:

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I don't know if other peoples minds work this way but I think of small scenes all the time (the washer woman, hearding the pigs and Phoenix Guardmen on a break) and then think of builds that I can incorporate them into.

I nearly didn't have enough tiles for the bridge and was thinking "I should have picked up more 2x2 dark tan tiles on my last trip to the PaB wall" I am making a trip back to Florida at the end of July so hopefully they will have some left a month from now!

@Capt, BB

I like the way the wash board came out too. so simple but effective when put into the scene. As to the row boat, the might River Isca is pretty vicious. I was hoping to convey a river with a strong current. Guess I need to work on that!

@natesroom

I actually modeled it on Z walls of his gatehouse (or the best I could figure out from his photos) i also recreated his cross windows (which I was pretty proud of how they came out)I had the tower build for a couple weeks. I was going to build a scene with the Phoenix Guard marching to the border of Nocturnus against the Drow but when Rex recalled the armies, I had to think of something else. Then I got some LotR stuff for Fathers Day, Including Helm's Deep and your right, the build methods are similar.

THis looks great and really defensible. It is cool to see the fortifications mixed with daily life. It makes me want to build something of the sort.

@natesroom

I actually modeled it on Z walls of his gatehouse (or the best I could figure out from his photos) i also recreated his cross windows (which I was pretty proud of how they came out)I had the tower build for a couple weeks. I was going to build a scene with the Phoenix Guard marching to the border of Nocturnus against the Drow but when Rex recalled the armies, I had to think of something else. Then I got some LotR stuff for Fathers Day, Including Helm's Deep and your right, the build methods are similar.

I was about to say-- I recognized some of that stuff! Though I think we used a lot of the same techniques, this still has a different feel from the Great Gatehouse.

On those crossbow/arrow slit/cross windows, on later versions I went with 1 x 2 and 1 x 1 cheese slopes. Not only does it remove the little line between the tile and the plate, but it also gives a little more textural intrigue.

I love the length of the bridge. This is more like what I would have liked to do with the Albion bridge had it not been for the BrickWorld size restriction.

I also like that it is not perfectly symmetrical.

Dude- I have SOOOOOOO many dark tan 2 x 2 tiles. PaB has been packed with them. If you want some faster, PM me and we might be able to work something out!

Great build Mikey! Like someone else said, the daily activities of medieval life adds a lot to the build as well.

@ZC: You may have started a new trend with all of the gatehouses popping up!

@ZC: You may have started a new trend with all of the gatehouses popping up!

gatehouses are cool man!

@MikeyB Minifigs are made for comedy. You can put them in a rushing river with scared expressions on their face's.

Edited by Captain BeerBeard

A really nice build MikeyB. I like the sense of movement in the water, the nicely styled towers (would look nicer if they were just a bit taller) and the rock work. The posing of the figures helps bring the action to life as well. :thumbup:

@Z thanks for the kind comments. i basically took you six wide standard on your hex towers and added my own little detail. Ill have to post some photos of how I did my firing slits cause I think I did them totally differently! And I might hit you up for some Dark Tan tiles. I have a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now and I do like them!

@ Capt BB

That would have been great! I can just see a couple kids in a boat that got out of control.

ISC. thanks for the feed back. I would love to have build a bit higher but was thinking the wide, swift moving river would add a natural defense to the gatehouse and the Hamlet. of course most were thinking about human attackers and not being attacked by elementals!

Wo00oW! *huh*

Fantastic, except now I immediately want to see what the rest of your hamlet looks like!

Great job, Mikey, as usual!

Great build Mikey! Love it :sweet: The overall design is well done en filled with details! The old gray works really well in the picture :thumbup: When I mix old and new, I can't make myself to like it because it just doesn't look right but it works here! Also your washboard turned out great indeed! I'm going to borrow that idea some day :wink:

And do I see Disan's snow owl spying in Circardia :tongue:

Edited by Ecclesiastes

you know its funny because, I know I have a huge mix of old and new grey but where I build its hard to tell the difference with the light I have in that room. when I was photographing and editing the photos I noticed and convinced myself it didn't look bad.

As to the owl, they have their uses! They can see a lot further than a human eye and can alert the guards to approaching travelers!

@jason, I have a few other builds I have planned (wish I could present them all at one time) I just started a build for a small fishing village that is in the Southern part of Circardia, along the coast of the Bay of Orthus (I need to work on a map of Circardia!)

This is an excellent addition to Avalonia Mikey, another impressive gatehouse. It suits our guild well and I enjoyed looking through all the pictures and noticing so many great details. The baby in the turban piece is genius!

Excellent work

(I need to work on a map of Circardia!)

And I need to work on a map for Benoic for sure! But it´s so tricky! :angry: But that is a good way to fill the time while I´m waiting on one BL order and three copies of Uruk Hai army! :sweet:

Another great build for Historica! Its great to have all the characters bustling around making the MOC come alive!default_thumbup.gif

This is an excellent addition to Avalonia Mikey, another impressive gatehouse. It suits our guild well and I enjoyed looking through all the pictures and noticing so many great details. The baby in the turban piece is genius!

Excellent work

Thanks! But I cant take credit for the baby idea, I know i have seen it somewhere before I just cant remember where or by who!

Mikey