PaddyBricksplitter

My UCS B Wing is bending :(

Hey guys.

My UCS B-Wing is starting to bend under it's own weight :(

The main area is where the cockpit attaches to the main body that houses the engines.

Anyone else got this too?

Is there any know solutions to sort out the problem?

Thx

Same goes with the wings of 10212, 75095, and the tail of 75060...

So I guess now it is common in the UCS line.

I do try to rotate my B-wing from one side to the other every now and again exactly because I feared warping. I'm not pleased to hear I wasn't just being paranoid. Not a fan of the idea that I'm going to own some expensive warped bricks.

Edited by Brickscape

I have found out that the UCS that tend to bend needs to be displayed in their alternate position about half the time. So every week/month you should change sides of the B-wing, the shuttle in landing position and and any other model you find is prone to bending warping.

The worst offender is still the old ISD 10030 - that model requires an additional leg to stand on. If you didn't do that mod the model would look like a melted popsicle within a week :)

Are the bricks actually warping, or just separating? Can you rebuild it? I would be interested to see pictures as well.

That's why mine is displayed vertically!

Hello bob, so you have rebuilt the display stand? Pictures of how you are displaying this please! Thanks

Well if I would of known this sooner I would have rotated my 75095 between putting it on the stand and setting it on its wings every month or so.

I do try to rotate my B-wing from one side to the other every now and again exactly because I feared warping. I'm not pleased to hear I wasn't just being paranoid. Not a fan of the idea that I'm going to own some expensive warped bricks.

Yes, I flipped it over and re-secured the bricks. That's the best I can do. I don't think this model is the best structurally.

That's why mine is displayed vertically!

Show off!

Well now I dont feel so concerned. At least it's normal.

Hey guys.

My UCS B-Wing is starting to bend under it's own weight :(

Sorry to hear that. Mine is still sealed in a box, due to lack of space. I guess the "B" in B-wing now has a new meaning, "Bent"-Wing.

I would imagine not much long term structural stability studies happen at Lego for their models. I think these sort of things should be reported to Lego, so that they can take this issue up the chain all the way to the designers.

Miro

I had the same problem. I solved it by changing some technic pins with the old black pins to get more grip inside the holes. If you divide the model in 3 parts, the cockpit, the central part and the third with the wings, you will see which pins you mus change.

Unluckily I cannot take photos because all my Lego is still packed after my house moving...29173716202_3e4040f06b_z.jpg

Edited by kevin8

Sorry to hear that. Mine is still sealed in a box, due to lack of space. I guess the "B" in B-wing now has a new meaning, "Bent"-Wing.

I would imagine not much long term structural stability studies happen at Lego for their models. I think these sort of things should be reported to Lego, so that they can take this issue up the chain all the way to the designers.

Miro

LOL! Bent-wing.

I had the same problem. I solved it by changing some technic pins with the old black pins to get more grip inside the holes. If you divide the model in 3 parts, the cockpit, the central part and the third with the wings, you will see which pins you mus change.

Unluckily I cannot take photos because all my Lego is still packed after my house moving...29173716202_3e4040f06b_z.jpg

Yes, that is the exact point where there is too much weight. There needs to be something like a few axels added there to strengthen it.

For some models is it just wise to leave them flat on their belly instead of using the stands???????????

Yes. I would recommend that if you choose not to build a custom stand.

Sorry to hear about your B-Wing, Paddy. Personally I would put a box or something under the part that's bending as a short-term solution and design an extra support for it during that time.

I haven't built mine yet, but it looks like when I do I'll be reinforcing it somehow, and/or designing a custom stand. Much like slave 1, it seems to need a bit of extra adaption to be as strong as TLG think it is.

The other solution I can see to this issue is simply to not leave the sets built for months at a time. They are building toys, after all, not permanent kits. :p

Edited by ZeldaTheSwordsman

The other solution I can see to this issue is simply to not leave the sets built for months at a time. They are building toys, after all, not permanent kits. :p

It's a UCS set, it IS built for display...

Do you have any detail on how 75060 bends? I'm just going to build it, now I'm worried...

It's a UCS set, it IS built for display...

It's also built for play, or it would not have play features. But my point is that whatever else it is, it is still a Lego set. It is a building toy made up of several multipurpose elements designed not for permanent assembly but to offer decent construction yet be easily separated. It is not a model kit made of injection-molded parts that you paint up and permanently glue together. Periodic disassembly is good for Legos, especially when they're put under this kind of strain by a build.