Dr Rod

Nocturnus refugees seek shelter in an ancient Drow chamber. Challenge

Dr Rod knew of an ancient Drow chamber, deep underneath his tower in the Rakath mountains; some Nocturnus refugees seek shelter there after the elementals were let loose across Historica.

The chamber holds an ancient Drow altar and was once the site of ritual Drow sacrifices.

8177111432_f36a66e002_c.jpg

The refugees have set up home in the upper level of the cavern, and brought along some tasty animals and barrels of foodstuff. Lord Mocka the cat is very curious about the goings on below.

8177111168_7b61083b9a_c.jpg

Members of Dr Rod's castle guard and some orc fighters keep an eye out for troops of the corrupt hand.

8177080241_bc5dfae5f6_c.jpg

Zynthane the Orc witch has been studying some ancient tomes that deal with elemental destruction and protection spells. She has been busy reinforcing the ancient arcane magic that surrounds the Drow altar and chamber, ensuring that no elementals are able to enter the cavern.

8177079995_3df2a1c590_c.jpg

The ancient Drow altar has once again tasted blood, this time it is the blood of some corrupt hand troops. Captured troops meet their fate at the hands of two drow executioners, eager to take the blood and other body parts back into their tunnels below.

8177079473_a0787f4641_c.jpg

This guy is about to join his comrades in the tubs.

8177110084_ce7d1abd89_c.jpg

One final darker overview of the scene.

8177109906_ee913fe398_c.jpg

I enjoyed this challenge!!

Dr Rod

The lighting creates a very sinister atmosphere :thumbup: Excellent rockwork as well.

Great to see there is still some life in Nocturnus, metaphorically speaking of course :laugh:

Probably one of the better uses of light elements I've seen recently, but that big stalactite/stalagmite is honestly the best part for me. It seems we often forget about those when building lego caves. That touch of real-life nature in plastic form made it for me.

Great build. the lighting really adds to the mood. Makes one want to know what is down the tunnel where the red glow is coming from!

I really love the lighting here, it has that dark and damp feel that I would think I would get from a Nocturnian Cavern. A very good job!

:o this looks so cool and scary !The light matches perfect and it really feels lively.No one can sneak into the cave w/o being noticed ,so the elementals dont have a chance if they come,and your people are secured! :)

Nice work on the lighting especially, though I'm normally not a fan of the older kind of dark grey, in a Nocturnian setting it works very well! :thumbup: Like your excecution chamber and the details you've put into the plateau above it! :thumbup:

Wow this moc is so creepy! I mean that in a positive way though, in a sense that your photograpyh is so well carried out that your pictures really depict quite an atmosphere!

Really nice caves :thumbup: :thumbup:

I relly like how you put the lights :wink:

Great entry! The lighting makes the MOC so much more interesting.... and nice to see someone continueing the drow with Angeli's absence...

Makes one want to know what is down the tunnel where the red glow is coming from!

from here: :laugh:

DrowCity.jpg

Nice rockwork and yes, those lights work fantasic. That red tunnel keeps me fascinated. People should use those lighteffects more often

Thanks for all the comments/feedback.

The red glow comes from a scary place, not sure I want to go down that tunnel with my camera. :wink:

I used loooong exposures, low ambient light levels and painted in highlight areas with small torch/flashlight.

It is deliberately dark as the location is underground, I have other photos that are much brighter but I didn't want to ruin the dark, gloomy atmosphere.

Dr Rod

The lighting really adds to the atmosphere of this entry, as it enhances both the location and the feelings of the peasants, who probably are quite frightened in regards to what will become of them. That being said, I love how much is going on there and that the members of the corrupted hand aren't treated as VIPs but as what they are - usurpers and traitors :devil:

Best of luck in the voting :classic:

The lightning really sets the scene, well done! I also like how you've put the arms of the poor guy who's joining the tubs!

The lightning really sets the scene, well done! I also like how you've put the arms of the poor guy who's joining the tubs!

Actually I need to take a better photo of that guy and the altar, there are trans red tiles under his arms and two barrels full of trans red blood at each side of the altar where it runs off from the altar :devil:

Dr Rod

Great Entry Dr Rod! I really like the whole cavern, and the way it wraps around and down to the bottom and rock work is well done. What really stands out though are the lights (of course) and the fate of the corrupt hand troops - chilling, but what would you expect in Nocturnus? I also like all of the refugees and supplies spread throughout the build. I'm very glad to see at least one Nocturnus entry, and you've done a great job representing the guild!

Wow! Just wow! The light effects takes this MOC to another level for sure! This is just great! Fits perfect into the Nocturnian guild! So much to look at!! :wub: