Sign in to follow this  
David85

Bye-Bye Colors...

I'm shocked no one saw this over at Lugnet.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whoward6...ocolournews.jpg

So Lego wants to cut colors fine, they want to get rid of some shapes of pink, thats fine too, but they are wanting to get rid of some shades of green! That's a no. They also said the shapes of pink are too much, then why did they make new ones up? Get rid of three, add two new ones, these people are idiots!

Then my favorite part.... Lego is looking into ways of making Legos cheaper... not in how much we spend on them, they want to make themselves cheaper made! Like the cloths from Wal-Mart.

I swore the Lego main people have to be Megablock fans or something trying to destroy the Lego world.

I can't belive what these people are thinking.

For me it doesn't sound that bad...

First of all, I don't think that they'll take away tones like DarkBlue, LightGreen and so on...

But if you compare all your orange pieces, you'll see differences between some parts that only are viewable when you put the parts next to each other....

So I think those tones will be the first that has to go...

(Same for some LightYellows, Pinks and so on)

Second is that we will have a better availability of the parts then (was mentioned in the article, too)...

What I'm not sure about is the "there will be three new metallic colors" part of article... Does this mean, they'll change standard chrome??? Won't it be chrome anymore but instead of this some grey'ish color?? Let's hope we'll see a normal silver chrome color, a gold chrome color (like the old gold coins) and one bronce'ish chrome tone...

Like Apo, I don't think this sounds too bad. It will be good to get rid of all those oranges and such which I never use. There must be like 7 shades of it anyway.

As for the chrome colours, here are some pics of the new silver colour that is used in the new Lego racers sets.

newsilver1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/chalcyon.../newsilver1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/chalcyon.../newsilver2.jpg

This looks alot duller than the old chrome, but I like it better as it looks good on the bricks, unlike the current one which you can scratch off.. :|

Jon.

Well I like the fact they are getting rid of colors, but it you look online color lists they came up with new colors for this years, its megablock.

Plus I like my greens, lime green is my favorite Lego color, but they will most likely get rid of it now. The oranges are a joke, they have like 10 kinds and they are all only slightly different. But I need more greens, and I love all the blues and they will most likely get rid of most of those.

I think they wont get rid of the light (limegreen, lightyellow, ...) and the dark tones like darkblue and so on.... And I think they won't change the sand tones...

I think dark green and blue will stay, but I think lime green is gone, there is no need for it, it's only in a few Racer sets, and light yellow (the most pointless color) is gone for sure.

We should come up with a list of 56 colors that we think they will keep.

The new chrome bites. the chrome firefighter helmet I got in the fire truck set was rubbed/scratched off in some areas when I opened the set.

I liked it for the helmet, it looks rustic, but otherwise it sucks.

It does make sense through to have only tree colors instead of 10 pointless colors.

I have some of the Life on Mars sets and they don't make any sense. The helmets are made from blue chrome. It looks great, but who really needs that?

The new chrome is bad but my biggest concern comes from the last part of the article...

We are investigating to see whether some of the parts we make at the moment could be produced in other, cheaper materials; whether we could use standardized raw materials instead of having them tailor-made for us; and whether the quality of some of our parts is simply too high for their purpose.

What in the hell is up with this? Are they going Megablock? Will they start to use Megablock style cheap plastic?

Lego is going about their money situation in the wrong way. Cutting back on the colors you use is a good thing but don't change the product. The product is the best thing you have going. Lego must change the relationship between the retail divisions and shop at home and get the supply chain worked out. Right now there is an internal fight that is destroying the company. It is just very sad to see, esp. when I work for them.

That's my point.

Lego getting rip of colors, fine, I will try to move on. But if Lego is going to make the product cheaper, and keep the sets costing the same ammount I might as well by Megablocks. I understand Lego trying to make the bricks out of more cheaper stuff if they were still as strong, but what was said pretty much says "We need to save money and in order to do that we will make the bricks crappier".

That's my point.

Lego getting rip of colors, fine, I will try to move on. But if Lego is going to make the product cheaper, and keep the sets costing the same ammount I might as well by Megablocks. I understand Lego trying to make the bricks out of more cheaper stuff if they were still as strong, but what was said pretty much says "We need to save money and in order to do that we will make the bricks crappier".

Simply put, if Lego cuts the quality of the products, they are dead. They are going to cost cut themselves out of business. Megablock has been kicking Lego's butt because they give you more product at a cheaper price, but what would customers rather have? We have had a bunch of customers lately that bought Megablocks because they were cheaper, but now are replacing them with Lego because Lego stays together and do not break.

I told my cousin 5-6 years ago that Lego would not be around in 10-15 years, and if it was it would be hardly holding on, or sold. They thought I was crazy because it was being named the toy of the centuary. 2003 with the World City Police and Designer sets seemed to prove me wrong, but with the color change, the color problems, getting rid of colors, nd making things cheaper, sadly it looks like I may be right.

I don't care if Legos make sets that are great as the ones from 1982-1996, if they make them cheap I will not buy them.

*Goes off and looks at the Megablock sets*

Maybee the Lego-management will wake up some day and find the old wooden signs from the first factory!!

It said: "Det bedste er ikke for godt"

Translate directly it would be "The best is not good enough"

Remember that Lego! And listen to your roots ;)

Maybee the Lego-management will wake up some day and find the old wooden signs from the first factory!!

It said: "Det bedste er ikke for godt"

Translate directly it would be "The best is not good enough"

Remember that Lego! And listen to your roots ;)

Thank you very much John! Lego needs to needs to be aware of this and maybe, just maybe they will see the error of their ways.

just maybe they will see the error of their ways.

They certainly did with the change from DUPLO to Explorer *sick*

A 100.000.000$ lose on that line alone should (and have) waken somebody up :^D

This situation reeks of desperation to me, their all running around looking at ways to cut losses and what they will end up doing is making the situation even worse.

Lego have only themselves to blame for this they knew other companies were going to release building sets but instead of raising their game and giving us good sets they give us bad ones and increase the prices.

I love lego but i see dark times ahead for them financially. :(

Same here Vader. And we have the Duplo Castle & Tower to thank for the Grey & Brown changes. Before these sets Lego did not have these colors for Duplo. Lego wanted colors that were not as dark for young kids and they did not want to increase cost by making special shades for the Duplo Line. This is also why Lego would not change them back after many complaints. Also Lego looks at Adult fans as only 10% of total sales. All I can say is wow. If I did not love Lego I would wish for their demise. A company this stupid deserves to be financially punished.

Ill be surprised if theres not another change in leadership at lego, i would like to know how other building toy companies have faired Financially over the same time period as lego i bet theyve done better than lego have.

Ill be surprised if theres not another change in leadership at lego, i would like to know how other building toy companies have faired Financially over the same time period as lego i bet theyve done better than lego have.

Megablock has been doing very very well. And just think, the more money they have the stronger they become. :(

Good.

I for once is very glad that Megablocks is doing very well. They have the better plan and are doing more and better things.

Lego is doing badly. They have no plan, no future outcome besides making things cheaper and have less colors. What a great plan.