Jump to content


MOC: DB 182


18 replies to this topic

#1 EuroTrains

EuroTrains

    Posts: 23
    Joined: 15-May 12
    Member: 28615

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

Here are some pictures of another one of my creations, a DB 182 Eurosprinter with the DHL paintjob.

Posted Image

Posted Image

With image from the excellent Railcolor site for comparison:

Posted Image

(I got this from http://www.railcolor...action=portrait )

More pictures at the smugmug site:

http://bencon77.smug...33440&k=dNNDF9M

This one is powered with a single MXL motor.

Building the front of this locomotive was a real challenge - the curves were hard to capture the character. But in the end I was very happy with it. The logo is a bit wrong sized but I had to do it bigger to do it with bricks. No stickers!  :tongue:

I am considering building another Eurosprinter with a different paint job. The OBB 1016 looks pretty sweet, even if it is a plain red paint job.

Edited by EuroTrains, 18 May 2012 - 06:46 AM.


#2 michaelozzie

michaelozzie

  • Fabuland Captain


    Posts: 349
    Joined: 19-February 09
    Member: 5349
    Country: Belgium

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Great Eurosprinter and yes those front curves are hard to capture in lego but you have done it beautifully :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image



I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

#3 Duq

Duq

    Posts: 600
    Joined: 04-September 09
    Member: 7300
    Country: Ireland

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

Brilliant! The shape of the front is really well done. The DHL logo could be better I think. If you have the room inside (and at this side you should) maybe you can do the yellow line through the letters with micro-striping?
For a challenge, how about the Porsche livery? Doing the Porsche outline in mosaic of course....
By the way, why don't you put some pictures on Flickr? There's a good Lego trains group there as well.
If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

Posted Image

Posted Image Brick.ie - The Irish Association for Adult Fans of Lego

#4 Asper

Asper

    Posts: 149
    Joined: 08-January 10
    Member: 8965
    Country: Germany

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Great shape! And nice work on the "DHL"logo.

#5 L@go

L@go

  • Awesome Sport!


    Posts: 1648
    Joined: 18-March 10
    Member: 9962
    Country: Norway

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

That is one gorgeous locomotive! And the paintjob is perfect. Very well done.

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image


flickr


#6 EuroTrains

EuroTrains

    Posts: 23
    Joined: 15-May 12
    Member: 28615

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostDuq, on 18 May 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

Brilliant! The shape of the front is really well done. The DHL logo could be better I think. If you have the room inside (and at this side you should) maybe you can do the yellow line through the letters with micro-striping?
For a challenge, how about the Porsche livery? Doing the Porsche outline in mosaic of course....
By the way, why don't you put some pictures on Flickr? There's a good Lego trains group there as well.

I had to look up the term micro-striping. It turns out I have done something similar in the past on another train (half plate gap using a bracket brick).

I suppose I could try a thing like that at some point here. I would need to do two of these stripes because of the height involved (or make the half plate up with some other snot). There is probably room for it, given that the XL motor is only 5 studs wide and mounted vertically.

I have never put anything on Flickr before. I have looked at some train pics there before - is that a different community than you get here on EB or is there decent overlap? EB seemed like the most active forums to me.

#7 fluffybunny

fluffybunny

    Posts: 67
    Joined: 20-July 10
    Member: 12108

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

eurotrains, I think this locomotive is great, and as others said yes that curve would be hard to capture but I think you got it perfect.  With the logo I see it is built with bricks, not that I have ever brick built letters before, but I am doing some research on it for a project, would you be able to do those in plates instead of bricks?  I think you could get a little more definition with your letters by using plates.  Other than that it is excellent.

By the way do you have any other pictures of the trucks on the locomotive?  Those look to be built very well and would like to see how you did that if you have pictures.

#8 LEGO Train 12 Volts

LEGO Train 12 Volts

    Posts: 3709
    Joined: 31-October 09
    Member: 8037
    Country: Italy

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

Another great work EuroTrains!  :thumbup:
The color scheme is awesome and the shape perfect ...I like the red nose of this locomotive!  :wub:
Posted Image   Posted Image

#9 iDave

iDave

    Posts: 55
    Joined: 05-June 11
    Member: 18286
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

One of the nicest locomotives my company produces  :tongue:

I love how you got the curves for the cab done, they look awesome!  :wub:

I'm curious how u would do the Vectron loc's from Siemens.

#10 JopieK

JopieK

  • Kneecap Buster


    Posts: 2411
    Joined: 04-January 07
    Member: 1180
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Really, really nice!!!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help?Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


Posted Image

-== Classic LEGO trains are the best ==-

Do you need replacement stickers for LEGO (reproductions and customs): ministickers.nl

What then about the LEGuanO?!


#11 mrlegoman

mrlegoman

    Posts: 154
    Joined: 08-January 12
    Member: 23925
    Country: Australia

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Again, another brilliant MOC! I wish I had your talents!

#12 EuroTrains

EuroTrains

    Posts: 23
    Joined: 15-May 12
    Member: 28615

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:40 AM

View Postfluffybunny, on 18 May 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

eurotrains, I think this locomotive is great, and as others said yes that curve would be hard to capture but I think you got it perfect.  With the logo I see it is built with bricks, not that I have ever brick built letters before, but I am doing some research on it for a project, would you be able to do those in plates instead of bricks?  I think you could get a little more definition with your letters by using plates.  Other than that it is excellent.

By the way do you have any other pictures of the trucks on the locomotive?  Those look to be built very well and would like to see how you did that if you have pictures.

These letters were done with plates - I use the term "brick built" because it is 100% Lego.

You always have two options when making details like this - you can have plates run horizontal or vertical. I chose vertical for this because I think that it came out the best given the resolution available.

I have done other mosiac style logos on trains where I change from horizontal to vertical because some letters are better suited. Then you have to be lucky / good about the 5 plates : 2 bricks ratio.

The way I design these logos sometimes is to take a picture of it, figure out how big I want it, and then do a non-proportional scale in photoshop to the target size, and then another non-prop scale with nearest neighbour. Let me know if this needs more pictures to make sense and I will start a new post on it. I could probably write a program to do it in 1 hour too but I am lazy :)

View PostiDave, on 19 May 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

One of the nicest locomotives my company produces  :tongue:

I love how you got the curves for the cab done, they look awesome!  :wub:

I'm curious how u would do the Vectron loc's from Siemens.

Dude, you work for Siemens? You lucky dog! You work in transport or somewhere else?

Thanks for the kind comments. I have looked quite a bit at the Vectrons but I have not seen a paint job on one that "grabbed" me yet.

The Eurorunner is one that I do want to build - I think that it has a great shape to it:

Posted Image

I must be getting old because the newest locos don't appeal to me as much as the 5 - 10 year old ones.

View Postmrlegoman, on 19 May 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

Again, another brilliant MOC! I wish I had your talents!

Oh wow that is quite the compliment.  :blush:

#13 Hrw-Amen

Hrw-Amen

    Posts: 1658
    Joined: 05-April 11
    Member: 17080

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

Really nice looking model, I may have to redesign my platforms if this keeps up as I may be tempted to switch to ten wide.

#14 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

  • Master of "da hood"


    Posts: 2333
    Joined: 04-May 11
    Member: 17645
    Country: Holland

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

Thats truly a beauty! Also a nice job on the painting!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ


Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr


#15 peterab

peterab

  • Whacking witch hunter


    Posts: 1247
    Joined: 03-August 09
    Member: 6893
    Country: Australia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostEuroTrains, on 18 May 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

I have never put anything on Flickr before. I have looked at some train pics there before - is that a different community than you get here on EB or is there decent overlap? EB seemed like the most active forums to me.

There is some overlap, but there seems to be more Mocs posted on Flickr, and the Flickr interface allows notes to be added to the picture so there tends to be a lot of helpful advice given there. The community there is a lot more focused on train building.

Here there seems to be wider discussion and a broader range of topics. I like to be a member of both.

#16 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

  • Doing the Chicken Dance


    Posts: 19308
    Joined: 28-October 09
    Member: 7997
    Country: Australia

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

AWESOME engine 'EuroTrains' :excited: , fantastic DHL logo on the side of it. :grin:

#17 iDave

iDave

    Posts: 55
    Joined: 05-June 11
    Member: 18286
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostEuroTrains, on 20 May 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:


Dude, you work for Siemens? You lucky dog! You work in transport or somewhere else?

Thanks for the kind comments. I have looked quite a bit at the Vectrons but I have not seen a paint job on one that "grabbed" me yet.

The Eurorunner is one that I do want to build - I think that it has a great shape to it:

Posted Image

I must be getting old because the newest locos don't appeal to me as much as the 5 - 10 year old ones.



Yeah, I work in the transport division as a service specialist in the Netherlands :classic: mostly urban transportation in Amsterdam, the Hague and Rotterdam. Trains and trackside structures.

The Vectron liverys are still mostly Siemens ones unfortunately.
The Hercules locs are nice too.

But what do you think of a complete Railjet from the ÖBB  :laugh:

#18 EuroTrains

EuroTrains

    Posts: 23
    Joined: 15-May 12
    Member: 28615

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostiDave, on 22 May 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Yeah, I work in the transport division as a service specialist in the Netherlands :classic: mostly urban transportation in Amsterdam, the Hague and Rotterdam. Trains and trackside structures.

The Vectron liverys are still mostly Siemens ones unfortunately.
The Hercules locs are nice too.

But what do you think of a complete Railjet from the ÖBB  :laugh:

I would love to build a Railjet but I don't know where I would put the finished product :) I will have to wait until somebody commissions one of them  :devil:

It is actually a question I have been mulling over (how much of a trainset to build). I built 4 cars of a Sydney M set in 10 wide, and now I don't know whether to keep the whole thing built. Part of me just wants a lead car and a passenger car left built.

#19 peterab

peterab

  • Whacking witch hunter


    Posts: 1247
    Joined: 03-August 09
    Member: 6893
    Country: Australia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostEuroTrains, on 22 May 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

I would love to build a Railjet but I don't know where I would put the finished product :) I will have to wait until somebody commissions one of them  :devil:

It is actually a question I have been mulling over (how much of a trainset to build). I built 4 cars of a Sydney M set in 10 wide, and now I don't know whether to keep the whole thing built. Part of me just wants a lead car and a passenger car left built.

I've considered installing pelmet boxes above my windows to reduce heat loss, but one of the motivating factors is also to be able to store Lego trains on them  :tongue:



Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users