RocketSeason

The City of Roses (WIP ship)

BRAND NEW UPDATES AT POST 28! (PAGE 2)

Hello all,

Her name is The City of Roses. She is an 8 gun Brigantine ship being built to the specifications of Captain Matthew Foster, the famous English Privateer.

I started working on a ship a while back when the new pirates line was announced, but the small hulls she originally had just weren't doing it for me. After getting a hold of the new Brickbeards Bounty, I finally had all the pieces needed to make my own Brig.

My plan is to create a ship with lots of interior details and playability, as well as being fairly accurate to how a Brig actually looked. A challenge for sure.

3144945702_2b4b8a4706.jpg

The tumblehome has proven to be pretty tough. I wanted to build something that felt real solid, yet would still look good from the inside. I think I was successful there.

3144117691_d7705eeb3e.jpg

3144117891_9a88b73589.jpg

With only three middle hull sections, its pretty short, but I really like the squat and fat look of sir Nadroj's ship, and I hope to replicate a similar overall feel with my ship.

I will continue to post updated shots as I get them done. This ship will take a while for me to build, so be patient with me. More photos can be seen on my flickr page.

Thanks!

-Captain Matt

Edited by RocketSeason

So far so good I'd say!

The interior looks pretty large inside, and I like how you placed the mast.

I eagerly await the next update :thumbup: .

I love it! that just inspires me. hmmm... I might just make a ship also out of my brick beards bounty and other sets.

Anyways great job!

Just a quick little update. I have started work on the stern. The red frame will be yellow and the gold shutters will be white. a line of yellow hinge bricks along the bottom. The sides will have those little curved topped windows in the same colors with some flourishes.

Thoughts?

3171574167_35e659b535.jpg

No thoughts at all at this moment, it just looks great. :thumbup:

I only doubt if the blue coloured stern fits in the coloursheme of the rest of the ship.

More updates!

3185456646_d3a4253162.jpg

3184612457_d7bf292181.jpg

I completed the figurehead for my ship. She is holding a key and a sword. I need to come up with a good story for that. Ideas? Also, I think I want to go with the version without a face. Looks more like a carving then a minifig that way I think. What do you guys think?

Because of the color of the stern, I wanted to change the color blocking on the sides. Here is the results...(man I am going slow with this build.)

I have been reading Patrick OBrian's Far Side of the World. Great book! I highly recommend it to you guys. It's amazing how much I have been getting into 17th and 18th century sailing lately!

Edited by RocketSeason

i like the figurehead without the face. maybe to match the rest of the ship to the stern, you should change the red 'gundoors' (no idea wha the technical term is) to blue. i love the blue though. Is this ship built on top of the brickbeards bounty hull? i noticed the flag is from the new pirates line, just wondering. awesome ship!

Is this ship built on top of the brickbeards bounty hull? i noticed the flag is from the new pirates line, just wondering. awesome ship!

Yeah it is built on that hull.

I like it at this point- I think dark red, white and reddish brown go together quite well. I liked the dark red stripes on the first version though- they might not be hyper realistic- but I thought they looked good!

I would also recommend you go with the no face version of the figure head. Good luck and keep on MOCing!

Edited by ZCerberus

What a cool ship! I would recommend getting rid of the blue as it doesn't quite fit.......other than that it looks like a great MOC and I look forward to seeing the result.

I really like your technique for doing the thumblehome!

I'll keep watching this thread for seeing your progress and the end-result of this very promising ship.

Woah this is going to be a great ship. I really like the colors and size. Good luck. I can't wait until it is finished.

Wow! Thats a beautiful ship! What great inspiration! The color blocking is similar to the look I am going for.

carnival_endeavour.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by RocketSeason

Wow! Thats a beautiful ship! What great inspiration! The color blocking is similar to the look I am going for.

carnival_endeavour.jpg

Thanks!

No problem RocketSeason... :pir-wink:

a very great start! I can't wait to see it finished, I think it will be a great ship!

Ah, the famous H.M.S. Endeavour!

Great ship and a very nice source of inspiration! It's colour sheme is so nice. :pir-wub:

Hopefully your ship will be great as well!

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

I now it is not the historic version, but isn't the H.M.S Endeavor the flagship of Lord Cutler Beckett in Pirates of the carribean: at worlds end?

i think i've already said this, but i love your ship, very cool color-scheme! keep up the good work!

I now it is not the historic version, but isn't the H.M.S Endeavor the flagship of Lord Cutler Beckett in Pirates of the carribean: at worlds end?

That's a movie. :pir_laugh2: The Endeavour is a real ship, not the original but still a nice ship.

Otherwise, try to find the Endeavour on the web, you'll get this one.

Gosh, I want to visit it but it lies in Australia... :pir_bawling:

AHHH! No, no, no! The H.M. Bark Endevour was the ship that Captain J. Cook used in one of his three historical voyages. It was the ship that discovered New Zealand and most of the Southern side of Australia. This discovery was what crashed the theory of Terra Australis, or the Great Southern Continent. It is thanks to Cook and this ship that Australia was turned into a convict settlement and now a free country that all from the Land Down under are proud to live in.

Edited by Captain Zuloo

Actually I am VERY close to being done with it. (minus the sails of course) I have been meaning to take some pictures for a while now, but I lost my card reader for my camera. I think I am gong to stop by work today and grab the D5 so I can get some nice high quality pictures for all of you.