lego_legis_legere

Modular Madness : Botanic Garden

indexed.gif B-OM-22D

Hi ! I'm new on Eurobricks (only few month) and I started to be an "active" member only since two weeks (actually, when I finished my exams).

I never made such a M.O.C. before, especially for a contest, therefore this is my first participation for "Modular Madness" in category 2.

I was inspired by a small public garden not far from Strasbourg's downtown. Any suggestions are welcome.

New Update : Thank you all for helping me : I modified my M.O.C. with a pathway and I fixed the overhang on the left and the right.

I did my best with a limited number of pieces (I don't have any 2x2 dark bley tiles nor baseplate).

7453382586_1846ac0c3a_c.jpg

7453382228_be9ba1737d_c.jpg

7453380336_e6c93e2152_c.jpg

7453375432_eb4a4d7309_c.jpg

Edited by Phred

I was inspired by a small public garden not far from Strasbourg's downtown. Any suggestions are welcome.

It looks great, very much 'alive'. However, there is an overhang on the left and, most notably, the right side of the baseplate. This would not allow the modular garden to be connected to a modular building. I suggest moving the bench and tree away from the edge of the baseplate or 'upgrade' it to 32 x 32. :classic:

I really like it, particularly the little girl with her teddy bear and the lantern hanging off the side of the building. The Apple Tree and sign outside are nice as well.

I think you should use another brick-brick over the window, to match the one under, instead of the plain 1x2. I believe your sidewalk needs to match the other modulars with 2x2 dark bley tiles. The ramp up doesn't bother me, but it may not match the rules. Your MOC needs to be on a baseplate, rather than a plates, or it won't be able to attach to the other MOCs.

Edited by gotoAndLego

However, there is an overhang on the left and, most notably, the right side of the baseplate

Nooo... I didn' notice :cry_sad: ! Thanks, I will fix that tomorrow !

I think you should use another brick-brick over the window, to match the one under, instead of the plain 1x2. I believe your sidewalk needs to match the other modulars with 2x2 dark bley tiles. The ramp up doesn't bother me, but it may not match the rules. Your MOC needs to be on a baseplate, rather than a plates, or it won't be able to attach to the other MOCs.

Thanks for your help. I will do my best to improve it : unfortunately, I don't have very much pieces at all (I recycle my sets for the contest, and then I will rebuild them). The main difficulty is the lack of baseplate :sceptic:

Nice. It almost looks like it has too much detail from the front - to me, at least. :wink: If you can, I think a pathway would look nice.

Just curious. . . do you know Greek? Lego means I speak in Greek, and your name is lego. . . legis. . . legere which sounds like the Greek endings for that word (although I haven't got that far yet. . .)

Edited by Kai NRG

Just curious. . . do you know Greek? Lego means I speak in Greek, and your name is lego. . . legis. . . legere which sounds like the Greek endings for that word

Thanks for noticing my word play !

Actually it is Latin (legere "to speak" : lego, legis, legit, legimus, legitis, legunt) :wink:

But it is close from Greek too, (λέγειν "to speak" λέγω, λέγεις, λέγει, λέγετον, λέγετον, λέγομεν, λέγετε, λέγουσιν).

The root word is the same lego and λέγω (you can read "lego").

---> I really like Ancient civilisations, and I can't wait for a "mythology" LEGO® theme :wub:

The green house is great :thumbup:

The landscaping and fig posing is also excellent, as is the lamppost.

Keep up the good work :classic:

Actually it is Latin (legere "to speak" : lego, legis, legit, legimus, legitis, legunt) :wink:

But it is close from Greek too, (λέγειν "to speak" λέγω, λέγεις, λέγει, λέγετον, λέγετον, λέγομεν, λέγετε, λέγουσιν).

---> I really like Ancient civilisations, and I can't wait for a "mythology" LEGO® theme :wub:

Legere doesn't mean to speak in Latin but to gather, to choose or to read. It's a common mistake that my students (who take both Latin and Greek) often make. But you're right that it is from the same root as the Greek word.

Legere doesn't mean to speak in Latin but to gather, to choose or to read. It's a common mistake that my students (who take both Latin and Greek) often make. But you're right that it is from the same root as the Greek word.

I was talking about Greek, that's what I take, not latin :wink: I had actually heard that it was also a word in latin, but thanks for telling me what it means :classic:

Yeah, in greek λέγω mreans I speak. I didn't really reconize the endings, but I had forgoten that it was also a Latin word :wink:

I really like Ancient civilizations as well. :wink:

Edited by Kai NRG