WesternOutlaw

Train Tech Building Contest

ebtraincontest.jpg

Eurobricks Train Tech Contest

All Aboard!

In honor of the new and exciting Eurobricks Train Forum, Train Tech, Eurobricks is proud to announce its Train Tech Building Contest. In collaboration with RailBricks magazine that graciously donated two of the prizes for the contest, train and trackside builders across the Lego community are invited to participate.

The Train Tech Building Contest will begin August 1 and end September 30, 2009, and includes three separate categories:

Category 1: Build a Train

Builders are to create a locomotive and rolling stock as part of an an 'entire train creation'. Participants can create a cargo or passenger train that must include a steam, diesel, or electric engine with any combination of wagons; limited to five cars (including the engine). Trains may be 4.5V, 12V, 9V, R/C, or Power Functions and must be minifig scale. Trains must run on standard track dimensions and be no greater than 8-studs wide. While decals and custom stickers are permitted, only Lego pieces are allowed, with the exception of custom train wheels.

Category 2: Build a Single Engine or Train Wagon

Builders are to create a single engine or rolling stock car. The car/wagon must fit standard track dimensions, be no wider than 8 studs wide, and minifig scale. Only Lego pieces are permitted (with the exception of custom train wheels), but custom stickers/decals are allowed. Participants may build any type of wagon or locomotive. Locomotives may include a matching tender/coal car. (Examples: caboose, boxcar, Pullman coach, flatbed car, gondola). NOTE: Trams have been accepted under this category.

Category 3: Build a Trackside Structure

For town and train fans that have a limited supply of train-related bricks, they can enter the train contest by building a trackside structure. Trackside structures can include any train-related building (Examples: train station, mill, water tower, switching tower, bridge). Only Lego pieces may be used but custom stickers are allowed. Buildings must be built in mini-fig scale.

Participants may enter any one or more of the three categories, but each entry must be a different creation. NOTE: Only one entry per category per person.

Prizes

Prizes include the following for the 1st place winner of each category:

Category 1: LEGO 10194 - Emerald Night train set.

Category 2: Railbricks custom set. Prize sponsored by Railbricks.

Category 3: Railbricks custom set. Prize sponsored by Railbricks.

Second (2nd) and Third (3rd) place winners of each category will receive a special Eurobricks train tag for their avatar.

Other Details

Participants must provide one 640x480 picture for each category entered. Digital backgrounds are permitted.

A separate entry thread will be provided for each of the three categories. Stories or backgrounds are not required with submissions.

NOTE: Lego does not sponsor or endorse this train building contest.

Questions may be asked on this thread.

PLEASE NOTE - UPDATED CONTEST RULES - as of August 3, 2009

1) The contest has been extended for one additional month (September 30) to allow participants to order parts and/or have more time to submit their entry.

2) At the request of RailBricks magazine, trains larger than 6-studs wide may be entered; however, there is a 8-stud wide limit, AND the train must run on standard Lego track.

3) Custom train wheels may be used for contest entries.

All entries are to be posted in Train Tech with the following syntax:

TTCE: (name of your creation)

TTCE = Train Tech Contest Entry

Please do not combine entries (for different categories) under one thread.

Images will be posted to an entry thread managed by one of the moderators.

REMINDER

All entries must be your own creations created after the announcement of this contest.

The contests is now closed for entries. Images of the entries will now be compiled for voting.

Entry Thread I: Category 1 & 2 Entries

Entry Thread II: Category 3 Entries

This is sounding great, I only have a few questions

Can you model from a real train?

For the third catergory can it be a whole station?

Not that I'm going to win but should the first place winner also recieve a train tag?

Sweet contest !

I always wanted to try myself as train building, this is a great occasion.

By the way, as a rookie, can I ask what is "standard track dimensions" as mentionned in the rules ? :blush:

Can you model from a real train?

For the third catergory can it be a whole station?

Yes and yes.

Not that I'm going to win but should the first place winner also recieve a train tag?

A train set isn't enough? -maybe

By the way, as a rookie, can I ask what is "standard track dimensions" as mentionned in the rules?

A six-stud wide train that runs on 8-stud wide tracks.

By the way, as a rookie, can I ask what is "standard track dimensions" as mentionned in the rules ? :blush:

He means no cutting up tracks and make the wierd dimensions. Only the standard L-gauge width on the wheels and it must be able to clear points. Well, those are the rules I'll be following anyway. :laugh:

EDIT: TheBrickster beat me to it.

This is really great. Thanks for hosting this great contest! :thumbup:

I would love to participate, but it already ends the 31th of August, so it's rather short. I have ideas in my mind that I'll try to work out, but we'll see if it works out like I want it to do. :hmpf:

I would love to participate, but it already ends the 31th of August, so it's rather short. I have ideas in my mind that I'll try to work out, but we'll see if it works out like I want it to do. :hmpf:

Yeah I agree it is a bit short especially since it could encourage builders to create trains, and they may have to get resources if they havn't got the stuff.

I was also wondering if the train had to be motorized and if a train or part of a train could be included in a track-side structure.

Great contest!

But can you enter multiple times in one category, or just once per? And does the engine have to be the same length as normal trains?

are we allowed to have bars and things hanging out?

Yes, as long as the main structure is not wider than 6-studs.

Does the train actually have to be motorized?

No, technically not, but it would be nice if it was. Push trains were never very popular.

I was also wondering... if a train or part of a train could be included in a track-side structure.

The Trackside Structure category is meant to be just the structure. If it's something like a train engine shed, and you have part of a train hanging on a rope for repair, then that's okay. But to add a train to the scene is not necessary, and is not part of judging the structure.

Are trams accepted?

For Category 2 - I'll say YES.

But can you enter multiple times in one category, or just once per? And does the engine have to be the same length as normal trains?

No, one entry per person per category.

Length can very, but it should be 6-studs wide, like other lego trains.

Am I allowed to enter an already built structure?

Or do I have to build a new one??

No, only new creations may be entered. Sorry.

Also, what is the deadline?

Right now, August 31, but the mods and admins are discussing.

Have fun!

This competition sounds interesting.

One thing I didn't get though....where do I send my picture/-s ??

-Do I just start a new topic and refer to the competition in the headline...?

-Or, should pictures be sent by e-mail ? If so, to whom ?

=Pls clearify. Thanks in advance.

One thing I didn't get though....where do I send my picture/-s ??

-Do I just start a new topic and refer to the competition in the headline...?

-Or, should pictures be sent by e-mail ? If so, to whom ?

A topic will be created for the entries. Is your entry ready to go?

If so, you can share your entry under a new topic called:

TTCE: XXXX

- for Train Tech Contest Entry X = The name of your creation

Woooohooo!

Great competition! :thumbup:

The only problem: I'm on vacation right now and have no access to the train parts. :hmpf:

Wait, when I'm back home! :devil:

That's a great idea for a contest, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

Perhaps I'll enter for category three.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I've updated the contest rules on the first page. Please note the new changes:

The rules state only LEGO parts can be used. However, could there be an exception allowed for Big Ben Bricks wheels?

Yes, custom wheels will be allowed.

The only problem: I'm on vacation right now and have no access to the train parts.

We've extended the contest until September 30, 2009, to give more people a chance to participate.

Sorry for posting again, but are monorail trains allowed as well?

(I can smell the answer, but wanted to be sure.)

Woah, thanks for changing the ending date! I really appreciate it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. We now have enough time to plan out the design and to collect the right pieces for our entries. :thumbup:

I am planning to make the Hogwarts Express (oh, there goes the surprise :tongue: ), but am I allowed to that? Since there have been some LEGO sets of it?

Sorry for posting again, but are monorail trains allowed as well?

Sorry H, but I think this is stretching it a bit. The train must run on standard Lego track, as opposed to monorail track. Perhaps you can make a monorail-style train, like the ICE or more modern passenger train.

I am planning to make the Hogwarts Express (oh, there goes the surprise :tongue: ), but am I allowed to that?

Sure, although there has been a few HP trains; one nice one just shared by Dave/TOT-LUG.