Joebot

Batman '08

There was a big topic over in Lego News and General Discussion about a list of rumored new sets for '08, including Batman. I just thought I'd break out the Batman discussion into a separate thread.

Here's the list, in case you missed it:

Batman's Buggy: The Escape of Mr. Freeze

Edited by Hinckley

I second the excitement about Wave 3. Harley is obviously wonderful news, and Freeze and Penguin are cool sets. Interesting how we're getting a Tumbler, dspite being told that there weren't going to be sets from the film. The question is though, will Lego jump at this chance to give Robin his new, Post-Infinite Crisis suit?

However ... it looks like only one new figure, Harley Quinn. Granted, she's an awesome character, but still ... only one?? Kinda bummed about that.

That is, assuming that there aren't any secondary characters in the sets, like Gordon, for example.

I wish Lego would move away from this annoying tendency of having a Bat-vehicle AND a villain vehicle in each set (they do the same thing with the Mission to Mars and Castle themes too, where each set has a "conflict' built in because it contains good guys and bad guys).

I think I partly agree. But that said, it does increase the set's playability appeal, and often the villains are the draw-in point of the set. It also means we get more Bat-figs, which are always useful in separate MOCs and displays- I've got three Batsuits in my Batcave, one on my desk, and one in a MOC-box.

And seriously, a "Bat-buggy?" Ugh.

Do what everyone did with the Bat-dragster and think of it as another Batmobile. Besides, the Batmobile in Batman #666 was somewhat buggy-like.

I'm still holding out hope that Lego branches out beyond the Bat-family into the rest of the DC Universe.

Me too, but the trouble with that is that you've got to be careful about being selective.You can either do everyone, or no-one. Otherwise, you get people saying "well, you've done Green Arrow... why no Plastic Man?"

Still, I'd like to see the Trinity. A Wonder Woman minifig... *wub* :-$

But I think we should finish the Bat-family first!

I do hope to have more than one new fig |-/

Having a Harley would be fantastic and that makes me happy !!

My only interrogation is this one: where will I be able to buy them >:-( TRU did not carry the wave 2 sets & my Lego shop is not selling them so I doubt they will order them |-/

Not good to be a French Lego Batman fan :-D

*yoda*

As long as we get H.Q. (in a cheap set preferably), I'm pretty satisfied with the line up.

Steve

In wave 2, one of the sets is called "Riddler's Hideout", but had Bane as well. So here's hoping Gordon is somewhere in those sets anyway.

The villain line-up for wave 3 seems a bit uncreative to me. Wave 2 boasted new figures (certainly Bane, but Riddler and Scarecrow were also new for the non-Arkham-getting countries). But now they've already started recycling Freeze, Penguin and Joker. Huh? How about Ra's Al Ghul, Man-bat, Clayface...? Or Poison Ivy for that matter, she hasn't been made widely available yet.

Edited by Mr Spielbrick

And seriously, a "Bat-buggy?" Ugh.

well, who do you think is going to protect the be-spectacled geeks when huge dudes kick sand in their faces at the beaches? or dudes who steal their babes? batman gotta have his batbuggy...just like in babe watch. oops...that's bay watch. :-D

I like the points you brought up, Joebot (and a separate thread for all this is a good idea).

However,

I love the idea of having a hero and a villain both in the same package. Realistically, LEGO's trying to sell these not just to AFOLs and Comic Book Geeks, but to moms and dads who are looking for gifts for birthdays and Christmas. And those sets will sell better if they include Batman in them. I love having the Good vs. Evil in each and every package, even if it means some of the vehicles will be small and silly, like the "Bat Buggy" or Dragster. Batman's got dozens of vehicles...the more we get, the better.

As far as "no new figures but Harley"...I hope we get a few that aren't listed in the titles of the sets. Commissioner Gordon and some kinda Batgirl are still at the top of my list.

And if they are recycling characters, I'm glad they're picking Freeze and Penguin...they only came in the most expensive set, so there are a bunch of kids (and AFOLs) who would have missed out on them. Hopefully for us die-hard collectors, the Batman minifigs will have some tweaks so they're not all exactly the same figure.

I'd looove some more villains. Ra's Al Ghul, Clayface, Mad Hatter and Man-Bat are all top of my list.

More Batman. |-/ Hooray. I personally think that Batman has way too many vehicles.

That's what makes him Batman!

Well...that and the big bat-thingy on his chest.

I'm really happy with this third wave! *sweet*

Why? Because I know that there will either be another set with new characters, or one of these will contain one ;-) Remember "Riddler's" hideout became Riddler AND Bane's hideout? I reckon the same thing will happen here.

Right now we still get: A new Batman no doubt, Harley Quinn, A vehicle finally for Mr.Freeze, The Tumbler *wub* , The Batcycle, and a vehicle for Robin! :'-)

Batbrick Away! >:-)

Edited by Batbrick

RE: Commissioner Gordon...

If the hold-up on getting a Commissioner Gordon is the trenchcoat piece, would you accept him like this:

review_btas_3.jpg

Or would you rather not have him at all?

Interesting question, jedikermit... For me, the trenchcoat is part of the character. It's like Batman without cape. But if they can't figure out a trenchcoat, sure, I'll take Gordon anyway.

I'm hoping they're not going for the cheap solution, which would be the Snape technique. Print his coat over his legs. Though, if it looks good...

Ah well. I'll wait and see. But I wouldn't say no to Gordon under any circumstance. A well-made trenchcoat (-effect) however would make me extra happy.

Anybody know if it'll be directly tied with the movie the dark knight?

Well from what we heard some months ago no, however as it's rumored that we might get a Tumbler i would say we might do.

Truth be told we wont know until we get pics.

That's what makes him Batman!

Well...that and the big bat-thingy on his chest.

And the letters B A T in his name. :-P

The one I want the most has to be the Tumbler, I hope it is similar to the MOC Hinckley posted some time ago *wub* .The ice cream truck sounds sweeeeet!Hope I can mod it to fit into regular town though 8-

You have a good point iamded, if the buggy was like that then I would be really happy! *sweet*

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who's positive about these! :-)

Your not, others will be far more happy once pics come out. Everytime a new set is spoken about members can be a bit negative (myself included), but once you see the set things change. :-)

Your not, others will be far more happy once pics come out. Everytime a new set is spoken about members can be a bit negative (myself included), but once you see the set things change. :-)

_______

Thats what i love about it, especially if a set already sounds good! :'-)

Batbrick-needs-a-Harley-Quinn Away! >:-)

You have a good point iamded, if the buggy was like that then I would be really happy! *sweet*

I would say that I'm ... "cautiously optimistic." Mostly, I'm thrilled that the theme is even continuing at all, because I wasn't so sure after the small second wave of sets.

Based only on the titles (and maybe my opinion will change when we see pics), the sets feel a little repetitive -- more two-vehicle sets with a Bat-vehicle and a villain vehicle. We've seen a lot of that already. I'd like to see the designers bust out of that rut, and come out with a Gotham police station, maybe a bank or a jewelry store set. You could still have the Batman vs. villian conflict, but focused around a building, rather than two vehicles. Or even a Wayne Manor set!

And more charaters please!! I'd like to see Lego pattern the Batman theme after the Star Wars license. With Star Wars, they've given us just about every character imaginable. For heaven's sake, we got a freakin' Lobot! I mean, geez, was there anyone out there clamoring for a Lobot mini-fig??? Does Lobot have a huge cult following that I'm not aware of?? But, hey, Lego made one, and that's awesome. Similarly, Lego should go all-out with Batman, and give us all kinds of third-string villains and assorted supporting characters.

Mostly though, I just want Ra's al Ghul.

As others have pointed out, there might be additional characters that aren't mentioned in the set names, so I've got my fingers crossed for that.

As it's been stated that Manbat is in the new batman game, i had hoped to see lego release a fig based on him. Though from looking at this list i doubt it's going to happen anytime soon, a set with him and some sort of glider seems like a no brainer to me. :-/

Maybe Joker's ice cream "surprise" is the surprise of a new villain hitching along? That'd be great.

But oh well. Let's just give Harley Q and the Tumbler our lovin' until we got pics to get picky about.

Maybe Joker's ice cream "surprise" is the surprise of a new villain hitching along? That'd be great.

But oh well. Let's just give Harley Q and the Tumbler our lovin' until we got pics to get picky about.

Well you never know, but i think it will end up being some shooting device like the batmobile had.......gawd i hate those.