BrickPerfection

WIP: Achille and Guerrière, French Frigates of 28 guns

Does that satisfy you?

It does, I just had never seen it before. I always thought the name was beneath the windows. :pir-grin:

Good luck on your ship!

Well, my forum name "Perfectionist" comes from my sometimes regrettable attitude to completely take something apart and rebuild it if it was good, but not perfect.

Exactly that happened to the Achille:

(in the background the old version taken apart; I am actually building two of these vessels; the plan is to make a photostory of them fighting each other at some point (of course the brave Bluecoats will win :pir-classic: ))

p1040166s.jpg

I couldn't reisist to design the ship's curve on my own instead of just following the manual again; essentially the gunports are one plate lower and 2 plates lower on the stern and bow as the curving is less now:

p1040223s.jpg

That is how it looked previously, strictly following the instructions:

p1040008s.jpg

I redesigned the galleries:

p1040231s.jpg

I felt that 2 studs would be too wide, so i used this hinge technique, I didn't add headrails yet because i might change the inverted slopes with brown ones.

p1040236s.jpg

p1040240s.jpg

Since a minifig can now quite comfortably stand on the gundeck, I decided to grant the Achille a full interior:

p1040188s.jpg

p1040201s.jpg

Both the gun- and topdeck are going to be tiled in reddish brown (representing teak wood); the plates used for the topdeck will be white to add to a completely white interior. They are ordered already at BL.

p1040209s.jpg

Still lacking a technique for the captain's cabin interior :pir-sceptic: :

p1040215s.jpg

I apologize for some pics being of poor quality :pir-cry_sad:

Edited by Perfectionist

You are probably the first one who tries to make an interior in a typical CGH technique ship. I'm curious about how this is going to look like. :pir-sweet:

The curve looks excellent now, the figurehead is nice as well. I'm looking forward to see the headrails on it.

Good luck with the build!

the plan is to make a photostory of them fighting each other at some point, of course the brave Bluecoats will win.

Oh I'd like to see them try. :pir_laugh2:

You attack a Redcoat Vessel, you attack the HMS Unicorn. 28 guns vs 125 guns. :pir-devil:

The first picture makes the ship look extremely smooth, very nice! :thumbup:

Two ships! Hey, thats a good idea. very nice techniques. :thumbup:

you attack the HMS Unicorn. 28 guns vs 125 guns. :pir-devil:

Yeah but one ship versus three. No way getting out of that :pir-devil:

Great stuff, I've been keeping my eye on this very promising ship. It's great that your adding so much of your own idea's in the design; that was what CGH was hoping for when he launched his tutorial. Keep the WIP pics coming, I'll be here to check them out and maybe learn a few new techniques :sweet:

Awesome. I like how ship is progressing, it is getting better and better. I wish you successful building the rest of it!

Awesome that you are als making the inside of the ship now. It looks very nice ( but also very narrowly). I also like the fact that the white wall can be removed for when there's a battle. The only thing about this ship that I don't really like is the skeg (?, wood beneath the figurehead), it looks like it's loose from the bow.

Wow! Your ship is progressing really well! She's quite a beauty, your doing great. Though I'd reccommend a tan deck, black is a good color, also. I really like the cabin, and the interior is looking great. Good luck on this project!

Wow, that's looking great! One thing I would suggest is dropping the deck one brick or so. Remember that you will still need to put about 2 bricks of railing on top of the deck, and it will start looking quite short and stubby. But it's looking good. :wink:

Wow! Your ship is progressing really well! She's quite a beauty, your doing great. Though I'd reccommend a tan deck, black is a good color, also. I really like the cabin, and the interior is looking great. Good luck on this project!

The deck will be tiled in reddish brown.

Wow, that's looking great! One thing I would suggest is dropping the deck one brick or so. Remember that you will still need to put about 2 bricks of railing on top of the deck, and it will start looking quite short and stubby. But it's looking good. :wink:

Ah well if you mean the deck above the cabin I would agree, it is rather preliminary anyway.

The rest of the deck however cannot be lowered in any way because of the interior. The deck is 2 plates higher than on CGH's frigate, considering my gunports are one plate lower than his. I hope these two plates aren't too much; the railing might be less otherwise :pir_laugh2:

Yeah but one ship versus three. No way getting out of that :pir-devil:

One broadside from my ship will put panic into the small frigate. Then another broadside to the other frigate, then the only one left, i'll just ram it, No need to waste ammo.

Anywho, Who said I have but one ship?:pir-wink:

It would be nice to have the interior deck Tanned so we could see the decks more clearly. :thumbup:

(Oh and I having a quick re-structure of the HMS Unicorn and it should be ready to post soon. :thumbup: )

One broadside from my ship will put panic into the small frigate. Then another broadside to the other frigate, then the only one left, i'll just ram it, No need to waste ammo.

BEWARE! :pir-skull:

p1030852s.jpg

p1030852s.jpg

Beware? Ha! I laugh at you!

I will raid your construction site before your ship touches water. :pir_laugh2:

Anywho, You said it is going to be to scale, so it won't count. :pir-grin:

Well, I'm very glad to see your works, Perfectionnist, I looked at each one of your pictures carefuly, and I enjoy to see the improvement of your frigate step after step. First I wanted to say that my heart was not conquered by the broadscape of the hull, looking a bit one too sligthed and light for me, but finnaly, once the differents walls get connected, the apparence is stronger and satisfies the thirst for realism.

I also wanted to comment the stern and the bow, because if the idea of using tubes in order to design the headrails looks great and provide beautyful results I had never seen before, I think that the stern is the bad point of your ship. Even if the use of curved slow and tube to design a round cabin is a very good and aesthetic idea, I prefered the preliminary design. I wouldn't allow myself to say it is spoiled, but I'm quite shocked, like it was ready said, by the angle oh the cabin that seems very separated of the hull, and as a consequence, too massive and heavy for the stern part of the hull ; it doesn't looks very harmonious. But I guess by catching a brief glimpse of your collection that you own a great number of parts and that I'm not going to give lessons since I don't have a very important experience and a limited collection.

Nethertheless, Your ship is full of innovations and nice details, the design of your masts with brown bricks is welcome, the interior seems to be fancy to such a point that deserves your login name, and the general atmosphere is complete to bring us onboard.

I won't miss the next steps, and I hope that the main deck will be as nice and original as what we had the pleasure to see. How do you plan to make the sails ?

The ship is turning out great. :thumbup: I love how you where able to put an interior in the ship. Your headrails are amazing, very nice work.. will you be adding toilets? Im looking forward in seeing the tiled decks! Keep up the good work! Cant wait to see it under French colors and full sail!

Cheers

-Admiral Bejaune

p1030852s.jpg

I see cannons. :pir-tongue:

I also spot some other interesting things in there, the yards, figurehead, windows and drinking accessories? :pir-sweet:

Good luck assembling your ship!

I see cannons. :pir-tongue:

I also spot some other interesting things in there, the yards, figurehead, windows and drinking accessories? :pir-sweet:

Good luck assembling your ship!

Speaking of Accesories, got anymore of your ships accesories to come? :thumbup:

That is a very good MOC. I could never make a ship like that, no matter how hard I tried. Although I think that might be due to the fact that I have no hull elements or sails, or various other important aspects of a ship. Good job, Perfectionist!

Now this is a major update and it's supposed to be quite stunning.

UPDATE: Note that I changed the yellow line to red for improving the colourscheme:

p1040604s.jpg

p1040603s.jpg

p1040610s.jpg

How it looked previously:

p1040521s.jpg

Note that this construction doesn't only look realistic, it is also decently stable and functional. Note I used a customized brick frome Chromebricks for the cathead. Feedback on it is appreciated.

p1040541s.jpg

The masts are still preliminary; the hull pretty final.

p1040447s.jpg

A frontal view on the bow reveals the unique headrails. Note the updated figurehead. It is more "warlike" now. I also gave her some white pants since yellow represents naked. :wink: Feeback on it is welcome.

p1040455s.jpg

A bird's eye view shows that the decks have been tiled entirely. Note the nice shape of the hull and the tumblehome. I esspecially like the galleries.

p1040481s.jpg

The ship has a complement of 30 guns though the bow chasers don't count for classification, resulting in nominally 28 guns. 4 of them are placed on swivels.

p1040501s.jpg

My unique swivel gun design:

p1040495s.jpg

My solution to realistic looking grates, using the back of 1x1 headlight bricks:

p1040520s.jpg

The steering wheel which will feature a rope around it for decorative porposes. A function isn't possible due to the modular structure, but the Superbe will probably feature one.

p1040511s.jpg

The stern looks rather harmonic; integrates into the hull as it should :pir-cry_happy: :

p1040557s.jpg

p1040552s.jpg

The deck construction is rather ingenious; it is in one piece although curved both horizontally and vertically allowing for a full rigging while maintaining the modular structure.

p1040567s.jpg

Unfortunately the levers fall off rather easily. Note that the deck isn't attached by studs, instead it rests on 3 2x2 tiles which are put on the masts.

p1040572s.jpg

The updated capatain's cabin. The mizzenmast was moved 2 studs in front due to the rigging.

There have been significant structural improvemts on the stern allowing a modular deck. It is also way sturdier now. The 3mm tube connects the galleries to the stern. All is based on 10 studs (2 for each gallery; 6 for the stern itself), all on jumperplates. They are below the furniture. :pir_laugh2:

p1040582s.jpg

The doors are preliminary and will be replaced with 3x4x1 white doors (1 brick higher). Not how they open just above the cannon's wheel:

p1040586s.jpg

A closeup on what the rest of the gundeck looks like. The supports are solely for optical reasons - and for holding the lanterns :pir-classic:

p1040592s.jpg

This is the current status of the Achille's sistership Guerriere (Engl. for warrior). Note the deck and how the hinges are placed to allow for a full interior:

p1040599s.jpg

As you see, I moved on quite fast here; there will be another minor update on the masts and some details (possibly something based on feedback :pir-wink: ) before I start with the rigging.

If you have questions on the construction, I could post some pictures while building the Guerriere, though the "Superbe" has first priority now. :pir-classic:

As stated already, comments are very welcome.

Edited by Perfectionist

The deck really finishes it. It looks really really good. If you keep up the pace you'll have a big fleet by Christmas!

A truly great ship,

I really like your use of 1x1 headlight bricks as realistic looking grates.

And to make it completely modular is great too.

Awesome work. :thumbup:

the Inventor

Very, very fine ship. Actually it's exactly what I'm planning to make but I use a very different technique (and other colours) and I think yours (or CGH´s) is better. The headrails are very great, as well as the grates. I think the tiles also look great but ofcourse they make the ship less playable. For the rest I think this is just going to be a good ship and I'd love to see this one with sails. Do you already know how you are going to make them?