Sign in to follow this  
ElectroDiva

Dungeons and Dragons

Hi All - apologies if there's already a topic for this but apparently the Dungeons and Dragons reboot from Warner Brothers is going ahead:

http://deadline.com/2016/06/ansel-elgort-dungeons-and-dragons-movie-1201778139/

It says that Hasbro are attached but given that Lego also has close ties with Warner Brothers, one can hope that this may result in licensing for them too?

Given the absence of any "traditional" historic or fantasy theme at the moment (Nexo Knights doesn't count :) - could this be the answer ?

D&D is owned by Wizards of the Coast, which is in turn owned by Hasbro.

Very unlikely that we will ever see D&D LEGO. Expect Kre-O.

D&D is owned by Wizards of the Coast, which is in turn owned by Hasbro.

Very unlikely that we will ever see D&D LEGO. Expect Kre-O.

Damn - you're right. Just googled Kre-o and Dungeons and Dragons and found this:

http://www.hasbro.com/en-us/product/kre-o-dungeons-and-dragons-kreon-warriors-wulfgar-kreon-set:DB7A5EFE-5056-9047-F53E-B53017DC302C

This theme would have been all kinds of awesome with Lego.

Oh well, looks like the long drought for historic lego continues...

There are a few themes here and there that would be awesome in Lego, but have unfortunately been done via other brick companies like Megablocks and Kre-o. The best you can typically do at that point is ponder what could have been.

There are a few themes here and there that would be awesome in Lego, but have unfortunately been done via other brick companies like Megablocks and Kre-o. The best you can typically do at that point is ponder what could have been.

Yep - and keep paying the extortionate after market prices for the "golden age" sets. Next on my list are Mill Village Raid and Diagon Alley

Do Hasbro still make Kre-O?

They still can but haven't really put out anything new except for Transformers. Their Star Trek and D&D sets are long dead.

I doubt Lego would be interested in creating a theme based on that, it impossible to say for sure though.

This would probably be better in community rather than historic themes.

The Castle-related fantasy aspect makes it too closely related to Nexo Knights. The recent revival of the medieval fantasy genre is nice, though.

Hasbro is the property holder. As a direct competitor of Lego (worse than Megabloks) they will never allow TLG to acquire a license to produce sets based on one of their properties. The legal battles between TLG and Hasbro are why a Star Wars CMF series will never happen. As a fan of the game famously created by Richard Garfield, Magic: the Gathering, I am severely disappointed that Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast. I wish I had a Worldgorger Dragon that I could send out to eat the Hasbro legal department.

The Castle-related fantasy aspect makes it too closely related to Nexo Knights. The recent revival of the medieval fantasy genre is nice, though.

I disagree that D&D would be too close to Nexo Knights, but I think LEGO would unfortunately agree.

The closest they ever got to D&D were those board game sets, heroica or something? I never played them so I assume theyre very different but they do remind me of them.

Hasbro is the property holder. As a direct competitor of Lego (worse than Megabloks) they will never allow TLG to acquire a license to produce sets based on one of their properties. The legal battles between TLG and Hasbro are why a Star Wars CMF series will never happen. As a fan of the game famously created by Richard Garfield, Magic: the Gathering, I am severely disappointed that Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast. I wish I had a Worldgorger Dragon that I could send out to eat the Hasbro legal department.

I remember when Hasbro bought WoTC. IT was a good thing for WoTC shareholders. (A friend of mine had shares she had purchased from artists who preferred cash in hand to the freebies and possible future cash that shares represented.) But even then there was grumbling. They do not seem to have damaged the game though, which is a good thing.

This may be a silly question, but why not create your own custom D & D minifigs and sets? With all of the minifig parts out there from previous Castle lines, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Chima, Ninjago, Atlantis, The Collectable Minifigures, Elves and even Nexo Knights it shouldn't be too hard to make some unique Human, Elf and Dwarf adventurers not to mention tons of Orcs, Goblins, Skeletons, Ghost, Vampires, Banshees, Demons, Dragons, generic human bad guys, etc. If you need parts checkout Bricklink. Some of the Elves builds would make for good buildings with some color changes and expansions and you can download the instructions from the Lego site to help get you started.

No need to lament Lego not officially getting this theme when it should be pretty easy to make your own.

This may be a silly question, but why not create your own custom D & D minifigs and sets? With all of the minifig parts out there from previous Castle lines, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Chima, Ninjago, Atlantis, The Collectable Minifigures, Elves and even Nexo Knights it shouldn't be too hard to make some unique Human, Elf and Dwarf adventurers not to mention tons of Orcs, Goblins, Skeletons, Ghost, Vampires, Banshees, Demons, Dragons, generic human bad guys, etc. If you need parts checkout Bricklink. Some of the Elves builds would make for good buildings with some color changes and expansions and you can download the instructions from the Lego site to help get you started.

No need to lament Lego not officially getting this theme when it should be pretty easy to make your own.

Because they're looking for a more traditional Castle-like line to cater for them since Nexo Knights doesn't.

This rationale could be used to argue against Lego EVER making another traditional Castle theme...but do we really want that? No. We can almost always come up with our own custom interpretation of an idea using existing sets and pieces, but it's even more fun when Lego comes out with new (good) sets within a theme we like. The typically comes with new pieces, prints, potentially new factions, etc... Any time they'd ever go all-in on a new medieval Castle theme, I'd say that's better than not.

I don't see a D & D line and a traditional Castle line as being the same thing.

To me D & D isn't the same as Lego's past traditional Castle themes. Past traditional Castle themes have been factions against each other with various sizes builds to go along with it. To me a D & D line would more be a group of Heroes against various villains and monsters as they explore different locations (kind of like the Minecraft sets).

Hopefully Lego will come back around to making a traditional Castle line with factions and such. D & D however is something they will probably never get to do (and may not pick up even if they could) so why not build it yourself and make it as big or small as you want to.

Because they're looking for a more traditional Castle-like line to cater for them since Nexo Knights doesn't.

Exactly :)

@omegabob - you're right D&D isn't the same as Lego's past castle theme but in the current absence of genuine historic and fantasy figs (and to a lesser extent parts) without an active Castle or LOTR theme it would be a good alternative. Unfortunately It doesn't look like it will happen though so will have to keep MOCing and hoping for a new Castle/POTC/Fantastic Beasts line

i'll actually admit to making my gaming groups use minifigs they moced up on the board as thier chars :)

i'll actually admit to making my gaming groups use minifigs they moced up on the board as thier chars :)

My gaming group has done that too as well as using minifigs for the monsters. For the most part as long as you have plenty of bodies and accessories they are quite easy to custom up and you don't have to paint them like traditional metal or resin minis. You can also brick build larger monsters. My roommate at the time built a Dragon and pulled it out at one game and then said "Don't worry, it's just a model.............to scale". Fun times.

My gaming group has done that too as well as using minifigs for the monsters. For the most part as long as you have plenty of bodies and accessories they are quite easy to custom up and you don't have to paint them like traditional metal or resin minis. You can also brick build larger monsters. My roommate at the time built a Dragon and pulled it out at one game and then said "Don't worry, it's just a model.............to scale". Fun times.

I WANT YOU N HIM IN my group lol, my current group i dm for are great (mostly), but nooooo way that hard core