Richard Dower

fake lego sets....i bought 3 of them

you know those Chinese cheap knockoffs from Bella and Decool?...of the Lego Racers Ferrari sets....i bought all 3 of them, why?....its the only way i can get certain parts that are exclusive to the sets at a reasonable price.

like the wheels from 8674....those rare 14L and 16L red flex hoses, i plan to throw out the vast majority of the parts and use genuine Lego parts, but for the rare or parts only found in those sets i will keep. this way i can finally get these sets.

what do you think of my plan?

Seems like a good plan if you won't pay more than you could pay for the pieces.

Some time ago somebody given me a Chinese Lego car from which I took out all the technic pieces because of the same quality level.Unfortunately can't say the same about the bricks.

you know those Chinese cheap knockoffs from Bella and Decool?...of the Lego Racers Ferrari sets....i bought all 3 of them, why?....its the only way i can get certain parts that are exclusive to the sets at a reasonable price.

like the wheels from 8674....those rare 14L and 16L red flex hoses, i plan to throw out the vast majority of the parts and use genuine Lego parts, but for the rare or parts only found in those sets i will keep. this way i can finally get these sets.

I personally would never do this. I either pay up or move on.

Seems like a good plan if you won't pay more than you could pay for the pieces.

Some time ago somebody given me a Chinese Lego car from which I took out all the technic pieces because of the same quality level.Unfortunately can't say the same about the bricks.

the tyres go for 20 Euro each on Bricklink. the metallic parts start at 7 Euro each. the 16L hoses start around 4 Euro each....i paid 46 Euro for the knockoff of 8674 so i think i got a good deal.

My only problem with these things in the past is just the plastic quality, sometimes they look ugly, or are deformed or are just the wrong size or shape. If you can get one for really cheap, then I guess go for it, it's your money, but just be wary of these things...

I personally would never do this. I either pay up or move on.

have you seen the second hand prices on Bricklink for the unique parts used in this set?....

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=8674-1

i am only gonna use a small handful off parts from the knockoff set...its either that or pay a 141 Euro for a second hand set off Bricklink....so i hink i saved alot of money doing it this way,

My only problem with these things in the past is just the plastic quality, sometimes they look ugly, or are deformed or are just the wrong size or shape. If you can get one for really cheap, then I guess go for it, it's your money, but just be wary of these things...

well...decool seems to better quality then the other brands, hopefully the parts are OK....i have a genuine set of 8458 that i bought off Ebay with box/manuls so can compare the rims to each other once i get it.

I think you should get a Bricklink account :wink: (For buying that is, not selling that junk)

Cheers,

Ole

have you seen the second hand prices on Bricklink for the unique parts used in this set?....

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=8674-1

Yes, I have seen and paid high prices for pieces for the MOC's I wanted to build. If the price is too high and not worth it for the MOC, then I don't build it.

You asked what we thought, so that is my opinion. The only non-lego piece I have ever considered is Sbrick.

Yes, I have seen and paid high prices for pieces for the MOC's I wanted to build. If the price is too high and not worth it for the MOC, then I don't build it.

You asked what we thought, so that is my opinion. The only non-lego piece I have ever considered is Sbrick.

fair enough...but its the only reasonable way to get these sets at a good price....genuine sets cost a fortune for these 3 models as they are rarer then Technic sets. at least my sets will 95% genuine Lego parts.

It is a personal preference how you consider exceptions of non-LEGO parts in your collection. Some people don't use Sbricks or 3rd party tyres at all, others are fine with glueing or modifying some pieces. It is completely up to you to decide what is acceptable for yourself.

You can find used 8674 reasonably priced costing the same amount of money you would pay for just 4 wheels.

It is a personal choice what you buy or how pure you want to be. Not a problem unless you try to resell those parts as real LEGO on Bricklink.

fair enough...but its the only reasonable way to get these sets at a good price....genuine sets cost a fortune for these 3 models as they are rarer then Technic sets. at least my sets will 95% genuine Lego parts.

I had this on my Sheepo Mustang, 95% genuine Lego and 5% white pneumatic hoses for soft axles (pretty espensive back then, even the 19L which later came in the 42039). Within a few weeks it annoyed the crap out of me and I coughed up the money for the soft axles. No regrets. Since then I try to avoid third party solutions and especially funding a company that makes money of Lego's design like these Ferrari knock-offs, but's that's just my choice.

This is my opinion too. For me, a big point of Lego is reproducibility, so I do my best to use current and not rare parts in my MOCs, if anyone would built them. Even if actually no one would build them and if that means not using the best solutions.

Edited by Lipko

Doesn't seem like a bad option. The problem would be the quality of the pieces as MRP_ said. Anyway, would be great to see a detailed description and comparison of the pieces.

It is a personal choice what you buy or how pure you want to be. Not a problem unless you try to resell those parts as real LEGO on Bricklink.

That makes me thing how many stores are selling cheap Chinese pieces in Bricklink :look:

While I have no issue with a small amount of well selected third party parts, supporting companies that create replicas of any kind just wouldn't feel rewarding. I'd either just cough up the cash or use red pneumatic hoses, knowing that at least they are "authentic" alternates.

I like your plan. As long as you're okay with not being pure, I think it's alright to get these knockoffs. Also, where did you get these sets?

I like your plan. As long as you're okay with not being pure, I think it's alright to get these knockoffs. Also, where did you get these sets?

aliexpress

Richard, any chance of you taking some closeup pictures of the set parts? I followed a few threads discussing these sets and the poor quality is always mentioned, but I was curious just how bad it is.

Richard, any chance of you taking some closeup pictures of the set parts? I followed a few threads discussing these sets and the poor quality is always mentioned, but I was curious just how bad it is.

the knockoff of 8674 is on the way....but coming from China, it could take 6 - 8 weeks to deliver to Ireland....it was free postage. but when it arrives i will take pics as i am interested in the quality of the parts myself.

Here's what to expect from some knock off :D

Edited by Richard Dower

It’s always an embarrassing thing for me to talk about something related to China on EB. I can imagine it will always be something bad and it will always be the fact.

Sorry for the off topic. I still don’t recommend knockoffs, the quality sucks.

That makes me thing how many stores are selling cheap Chinese pieces in Bricklink :look:

that is actually a very good point....can anyone be 100% sure ebay or bricklink sellers are not importing parts from china.......hmmmm.......

Well, most of LEGO pieces have "LEGO" logo on them, so you can do basic checks. From what has been told over internet about knock-off sets - they have poor quality, so then it shouldn't be hard to distinguish such parts.

In the videos that Richard showed above, you can see that the Chinese parts are low quality, but I hope never to have any of these parts in my collection. The big problem with these is that they took real Lego sets, copied them, and are now selling them as their own. Lego took the work to design the sets, invent the pieces, etc. and this company simply comes along and makes their own, without compensating Lego for their trouble. Buying Chinese (or any other countries') knock-offs is not something I would do.

Well, most of LEGO pieces have "LEGO" logo on them, so you can do basic checks. From what has been told over internet about knock-off sets - they have poor quality, so then it shouldn't be hard to distinguish such parts.

Just about to say the same thing. The quality is shocking and the saying goes "you get what you paid for" and you brought.........sorry. Support Lego and not ripoffs is my 2cents $100 worth.