Sign in to follow this  
Haltiamieli

A small Mitgardian homestead

Firstly, I have to acknowledge that I stole (as best as I could and my parts allowed) the exterior design of the house from Kabel's creation Stoneroda 1200. But since he's a fellow Mitgardian, that's quite fitting storywise.

Like most of the tribes of the northern wastes of Mitgardia, the Clan of the Great Elk has no real villages. Most of the people live in scattered farmsteads where even the closest neighbour might be dozens of miles away. I've built an example of a typical main building, but I left out (at least for time being) the few sheds and storage buildings surrounding it. Often there is also a low wooden palisade at the perimeter of the yard, more to block out the wind and the snow than to keep the intruders away - if troubles arise, people usually flee to some hidden refuge or the closest hill fort rather than defend their homes all alone.

As you can see from the pictures, spring is already approaching as the thaw has eaten away most of the snow and melted it from the tree branches. Kemi is sweeping the snow from the threshold while her husband Ruka has gone fishing and the children are out there in the forest gathering fallen branches for firewood after the last night's storm.

homestead4.jpg

homestead1.jpg

homestead3.jpg

Inside there is an old wandering trapper enjoying the hospitality of the house, roasting a fresh catch from the lake nearby. Any wanderers are usually warmly welcomed by the Great Elks, especially after the long and lonesome winter, as they bring news and stories from afar.

When it comes to the interior of the building, I didn't have any picture from Kabel to copycat, so I had to design it all by myself (oh the horror). There's a fireplace in the middle and benches by the walls for sitting and sleeping. In one corner there's a few logs drying, most of the firewood is obviously stored outside.

homestead2.jpg

I feel honored having inspired you, and this one looks even better, as I think dark tan looks even better than yellow. I also like you have an interior, mine doesn't have one

Lovely.

It's got a great little cottage feel to it. And it looks nice and toasty in there - thought it smell a bit like fish :laugh:

The thick white bricks also makes it feel like there was a really heavy snowfall before it started thawing out.

This is lovely. Your Great Elk MOCs are doing great at potraying life in the northern barbarian lands. I hope theres many more to come!

Thanks everybody for your kind comments, and especially Kabel for feeling honoured :grin:

Your Great Elk MOCs are doing great at potraying life in the northern barbarian lands. I hope theres many more to come!

I do have plans for a few more Great Elk MOCs – I would like to expand this MOC to include a little more of the surroundings and outbuildings, for example some sort of a... tree store hut? Like this. And then of course the great (well, compared to the other houses of the Great Elks) hall of the Great Elks' chieftains. And then maybe some scenarios like bear hunt etc. But it might be some time before I can build any of those, as I'm running pretty low on unused bricks (browns and whites especially) and lacking the will to break any of my finished creations. :laugh: And now I've also decided to try to build some sort of an embassy for the next challenge. That won't have anything to do with the Great Elks though.