Sign in to follow this  
gotoAndLego

Methods of displaying mini/micro models.

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

So far I'm using some old Lego wooden barrels I just found in a box of old toys (three stacked with a 2x2 round studded flat), but would prefer something transparent and minimal. What is everyone using for stands? Photos would be great.

Cheers

What is everyone using for stands? Photos would be great.

Cheers

Indeed.

Perhaps you could start out by showing us a photo of what you do - as sort of a reference for further comments and ideas?

I think I understand what he's asking for.

Most people use a clear 4 x 4 dish and a 1 x 8 bar for their MINIs. If you need a physical attachment, a technic 1/2 pin is fairly unobtrusive, though not clear.

While you can't see the dish, this photo shows the rest of the setup:

img_2655.jpg

Depending on the size of the model, a stack of clear 2 x 2 round bricks will also work well. It just depends on whether or not you have an area to atach the bricks to on your model.

In general, I only use a stand when photographing my MINIs. Otherwise, they just lay on the shelf.

Hello!

If allowed I'd like to give a short display stand guide of common displays I used in the past. With over 200 hundred stands needed, several variants were developped. I consider the display stand as a part of the model, and hence it's on all photos I take. I included some examples for every stand type mentioned below. :classic:

--------------------

- You have a centered stud hole/bottom tube on the underside (the standard stand):

display-stand-01.jpg

Note: The left one also applies for models which have studs only on the sides.

Example 1

--------------------

- You lack a centered stud hole/bottom tube, but have two 1 x X plates next to each other:

display-stand-02.jpg

Example 1

Example 2

--------------------

- You have a centered inverted stud on the underside (e.g. inverted 1 x 2 jumper plate):

display-stand-03.jpg

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

--------------------

- You lack a centered single inverted stud, but have an inverted 2 x 2 (or bigger) plate on the underside:

display-stand-04.jpg

Ugh, well, you caught me. :wink: I haven't used this variant yet. :classic:

--------------------

- You have an inverted tile on the underside:

display-stand-05.jpg

Example 1

--------------------

- You only have a hole/slot with standard bar width on the underside:

display-stand-06.jpg

Example 1

Example 2

--------------------

- You have a boat stud on the underside:

display-stand-07.jpg

Note: Unlike any other dishes, the 3 x 3 dish's bottom tube is one plate height shorter than the rest of the dish. Dish and bottom tube have no blunt end.

Example 1

Example 2

--------------------

That's all that I remembered for the moment. I might edit this post with more methods if find more. :classic:

I hope these are of some help. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Edited by Legostein

Indeed. Perhaps you could start out by showing us a photo of what you do - as sort of a reference for further comments and ideas?

I just stacked three of these, with one of these on top. The mini X-Wing has one on the bottom so I only needed the three barrels. Its temporary as I'll be using one of the trans clear solutions to display them.

Legostein seems to know what he's doing! :oh::thumbup:

I hardly have any clear pieces to display my MOCs so all those pieces of yours Legostein look amazing! :cry_happy:

CommanderFox

I just stacked three of these, with one of these on top. The mini X-Wing has one on the bottom so I only needed the three barrels. Its temporary as I'll be using one of the trans clear solutions to display them.

Thanks.

Now I get it :blush:

I think legostein summed up the possibilities pretty well.

Good question though :thumbup:

Legostein, you truly are the man to go to when it comes to minis :wink:

Thanks for a super nice "review" of your stands techniques you use :thumbup:

If allowed I'd like to give a short display stand guide of common displays I used in the past. With over 200 hundred stands needed, several variants were developped. I consider the display stand as a part of the model, and hence it's on all photos I take. I included some examples for every stand type mentioned below. :classic:

This is a great post! If you wouldn't mind, could you actually start a new topic about displaying minis in LEGO General Discussion and News since these tips are good for all themes? I'd really like to add it to our tutorial index.

Thanks for posting this! :thumbup: