Flare

Heroica RPG - Quest #42: The Meaning Of It All

heroicaquest42.jpg

The three heroes leave Heroica Hall, and wonder where Dr. Trice's assistant, Eugene, is. They wander around for a couple minutes and then hear a voice calling them, in a quiet corner somewhat close to where they started from in the first place... They walk over and wonder how he got there in the first place.

01.jpg

eugene-icon.jpg

"Well hello there. I was wondering how long it would take for you to notice that I was just here waiting for you. Oh well. Anyways, I'm ready to go, and we probably should get leaving soon, Dr. Trice can get quite impatient sometimes! So yes... before we set off, anything you want to do or ask? Or are you all just ready to get going to Dr. Trice's place? Dr. Trice can explain things much better than I can."

The Party!

eric_2_small.jpg

Eric, Level 20 2/3 Raider *party leader*

Power: 33

Health: 36/36

Gold: 348

Inventory: Godricsleif (WP: 13; Ice-elemental; Darkness-elemental), Sticky Gloves (+50% income from Mugging), Boots of Evasion (Wearer takes half damage in front row), Drengazuli Grom'az (WP:6; Twin Axe Attacks two enemies in one turn, Lightning-elemental); 2x Diseased Silverfish Wings (WP:8 + Cursed throwing dagger); 6x Silverfish Wings (WP:8 throwing dagger); Fire bomb; Lightning bomb; Venom; Mead (11x); Grand Potion (13x); Smelling Salts (5x); Garnet; Scroll of Sleep

untitled-15.png

Monk Pretzel, Level 11 Cleric

Power: 16

Defense: 5

Health: 19/19

Ether: 19/19

Gold: 72

Inventory: Cross (Nimbus Broomstick; Ranged; WP: 5), Tricorn (Artifact; SP:3), Ethereal Cloak (Artifact; SP:2, Max Ether +4), Grand Potion (2), Potion (2), Tonic, Grand Tonic (2), Remedy (3), Phoenix Essence, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Commerz Cannonball, Scroll of Sealing, Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass

7658311678_af277ff22a_t.jpg

Erdathcath Madilinas, Level 16.5 Druid

Power: 26

Health: 31/31

Ether: 17/17

Gold: 253

Inventory: Tritech Handcannon (WP:10), Longbow (WP:7), Quick bow (WP: 6, Suitable to rangers, provides hastened effect for one round each battle), Helmet (+1 max. health), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify), 6 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 3 Mead, 2 Smelling Salts, 1 Nostrums, 12 Venoms, Deadly Venom, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 2 Fire Bombs, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bomb, Bone, skeleton decoy, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Saber teeth, Scroll of Weakening, Rusted Knife (WP: 10, Badly Poisoned effect, 1/1 uses left), Ruby.

---

This is my first time as to host a quest, so please be patient with me if I mess something up. :grin: I think all of your stats are right, if not, please correct me!

Just for reference, items in inventory that are in italics are equipped items. The_Customizer, please let me know which of your items you want to equip.

Edited by Flare

Eric chuckled. "I doubt there's much interesting you could tell us, gast, so lead us to the doctor so we can get to do what we were hired for!"

Stats are okay! :thumbup:

Umm, I have just one question, how many wishes do we get? default_laugh_new.gif

Other than that, I am already to go!

OOC: Stats are good, I normally just use my handcannon, helmet, and snake eye charm. Anything else is just stuff i have received in quests, for the most part.

I pant and wheeze as I hurriedly scuffle over, my cart trundling behind me, jostling on the bumps of the road.

"I made it!" I gasp out.

Before, "Oh, no, it's the devilish blue guy!" in a more or less unintelligible grunt.

I bought two more Grand Tonics, Flare! Otherwise :thumbup:

Eugene glares at Monk Pretzel, somehow understanding what Pretzel more or less didn't say. He looks at the rest of the party and grins. Apparently genies have a tendency to be jolly.

eugene-icon.jpg

"No wishes, at least right now. Maybe later on, when you finish your task. You wouldn't believe it, but granting wishes is an extremely difficult and tiring task!"

"But anyways, Dr. Trice lives in a place fairly far away, but thankfully the reason I was sent here to help you was because I am able to travel faster than your average bear. What I'm trying to say, lets all hold hands and then we can get a move on. I think you'll have to leave your cart behind, sorry. Dr. Trice will provide some pretzels if you ask nicely" :tongue:

The members of the party reluctantly hold hands, and of course its Pretzel's luck to be holding hands with Eugene.

"Letsa go!"

They lift off, and start flying through the air about six inches above the ground. They are moving quite fast in a West/North-West direction.

The heroes notice that it is starting to get dark out, and also that they are slowing down.

They stop.

02.jpg

eugene-icon.jpg

*phew* "Wow, I'm pooped. Do you know how much energy it takes to travel this far carrying three extra people? Insanely tiring! We're a little more than halfway there."

He takes a moment to catch his breath.

"We have two choices. We can spend the night here, and then continue traveling tomorrow, or, you could spare some of your ether to help re-energize me and we can finish traveling during the night. Which would you prefer?"

Hmm, it seems resting would be the best choice, as using ether right now won't make a difference except that we can get there sooner. Though it may be better to arrive in the morning, as that would be less impolite to the Doctor.

Hmm, it seems resting would be the best choice, as using ether right now won't make a difference except that we can get there sooner. Though it may be better to arrive in the morning, as that would be less impolite to the Doctor.

eugene-icon.jpg

"Don't worry about being polite! He's probably going to be working on that staff through the night anyways. He's quite eager to have it finished. He's already been working on it for 3 and a half years, and he's almost finished."

"Don't worry about being polite! He's probably going to be working on that staff through the night anyways. He's quite eager to have it finished. He's already been working on it for 3 and a half years, and he's almost finished."

Well, that seems like quite an important staff! I am sure everything will be explained once we get there?

Also, I think I will wait for my companions opinions as to what to do.

The Raider rubbed his hands on his pants. He had been holding Monk Pretzel's greasy hands FAR too long. He grumbled and then stated: "Gast, we stop here for the night. No need to waste some of our precious Ether just yet."

My hand feel's crushed. Eric's grip is certainly far above firm. Apparently, he thought I would let go of him. Believe me, I had tried, but there was no way that my hand could escape if vicious grasp. I nurse my hand tenderly.

"Definitely must sleep now. Continue voyage tomorrow by foot...please! Isn't there a magic carpet or something that we could use instead of this blue blob! Agh! There is no way that I am going to spend my ether to recover you, the voyage was painful enough." :angry:

Eugene clears away an area and starts making a small and pitiful fire. Only Almighty Bob knows where he got wood from, because there are no trees in the area. Also, to the casual observer that it is fairly obvious that genies have very bad fire-making skills.

When he is finally finished, the night is quite dark, and everyone gathers around the tiny and rather dim fire.

03.jpg

eugene-icon.jpg

"Please enjoy this little campground I just made for you! I'll count that as one of your wishes, Pretzel... even though you didn't get any in the first place. Which means your in the minus. Which means you owe me a wish. Now let me think... I have been craving a pretzel recently, happen to have one?" :tongue:

He turns to the druid:

"Of course everything will be explained when we get there tomorrow, unless you'd like me to try to explain myself, right now."

Then he turns back to Pretzel:

"My dear Monk, I'm afraid that it will be impractical for us to continue the journey to his place by foot. I need to get you there as soon as possible because I am needed elsewhere. Trust me, you'll have plenty of adventuring on foot in the upcoming week."

Now sitting down, that is, if it was possible for genies to sit, he relaxes and exclaims:

"Well well well... anyone have a good story?"

Edited by Flare

Well, it seems that though you can't grant wishes, you sure can bring wood out of nowhere quite well!

As for stories, my folk often told many a tale. Sadly, I left them before I was too old, so I barely remember any of them. And the ones I do remember tend to be in song, and talk about trees, and rivers, and shiny things. Probably nothing that would be too interesting.

Well, it seems that though you can't grant wishes, you sure can bring wood out of nowhere quite well!

As for stories, my folk often told many a tale. Sadly, I left them before I was too old, so I barely remember any of them. And the ones I do remember tend to be in song, and talk about trees, and rivers, and shiny things. Probably nothing that would be too interesting.

eugene-icon.jpg

"The stories about shiny things might be interesting... but it depends on what type of shiny thing. :grin:"

Eric sat down by the poor fire and listened to the others. When he heard Erdathcath's suggestion, the Nord started to speak. A smile came to his otherwise mostly somber and brooding face.

"I don't mind a story of your people Erdathcath, be it a song or just some common tale. I always did love me a good song or story. It reminds me of home. Back up North, we have a very rich storytelling and song-singing tradition, chronicling the greatest achievements of our gods, Human champions and history of our wild, mighty and beautiful land."

"The stories about shiny things might be interesting... but it depends on what type of shiny thing. :grin:"

Often times it was just shiny things we saw in rocks. They were silver-ish, and really strong. Oddly enough, in the Heroica Marketplace you can use this metal to upgrade weapons, but my folk never thought much of it. We also had a large amount of gold, that was always used for decoration, and trading.

Eric, just because you asked nicely, I shall sing one of the shorter songs I do know.

I don't remember the name of the song, though, my folk never thought of that as important as the song itself.

Through gale and storm, we learn to live.

Though trees may fall, the forest still stands.

Over rivers deep and calm,

Through the forest peaceful and strong

In the trees oh so high,

lives the peaceful folk who do not die.

Needless to say, my people weren't the most creative at singing. default_tong.gif

"You have a great voice for singing, Elf. A flute or harp would've truly added a finishing touch." Eric said, sort of happily. He then turned to monk Pretzel and grinned. "What about you Monk? I very much doubt you have anything interesting to share with us, song or tale. It's probably all just heathen and pagan crap in your eyes."

Thank you. default_blush.gif

I have never really tried to sing before now, but I guess it turned out well.

So, what about you Monk? Anything interesting to share? Perhaps a chant of the Pretzel queen or something?

A moment of silence befell the party of three Heroes and their genie. The sat and watched the crackling fire, warding them from the cold touch of the dark night. Eric's eyes glimmered in the radiant light of the fire. He sighed and looked up, gazing at the uncountless plethora of stars. Softly, with a sore voice, the Viking warrior started to speak.

"I'm not any good at telling stories, that was the work of the skalds in my native country, but I can give it a try. I don't remember the correct phrases, nor do I still know the right rythmic structure or meter of the verses, so I'll just tell the tale as I know it and remember it best."

Eric slowly brought his gaze down from the sky and looked into the fire. He pointed to the star-dotted sky.

"Uncountable ages ago, the Manworld, we call it Olegard was seperated from the Godworld by a great body of water. No one could cross it, no one dared to cross it, lest they raise the temper of its most fearful inhabitant: a gigantic sea serpent named Olegardsormr. It was a monstrosity of immeasurable size, grow so large it was capable of surrounding our entire world. The beast was a relic of aeons forlorn, when Dragons and their kin still ruled the lands."

"But the times were changing fast and Man was emerging. Eager for everlasting fame and glory, one of our kinsmen decided to take on the challenge to kill the Olegardsormr, the World Serpent. The man was broad of shoulders and thick of muscle. In battle he could always rely on his strength and valued companion, Beringar, his Bear-Spear that felled a many of these wild creatures."

"Thus Njordon left his hall and bade farewell to his woman, child and folk. Spear in hand and clad in armour, the great spear-man strode for three months before he found the head and maw of the World Serpent, for so great it was in size. Being a great seaman, as are all Nords, Njordon build himself a boat with the help of the Dwarves. These stout Beings were well advanced and knowledged on the building of vehicles. With their great techniques and their magics, mighty Njordon now had a boat impervious to the Serpent's deadly venoms."

"Njordon set sail and challenged the Snake to battle. Arrogant, and standing as of yet undefeated, the devious Serpent obliged. Thus battle began and was waged for nine days, but none were the better party. Beringar wounded the vile creature on many occasions, but it did not fall, it did not die. Njordon was grievously wounded, but his pride refused him to give up."

"It was then, in the darkest hour, a heavenly messenger broke through the barrier between Olegard and the world of gods. It was none less than Framtida, one of Wartan the Allfather's loyal bats, who aided him during his long travels during the Long Dark but that is another tale for another time. Framtida perched itself upon Njordon's shoulder and whispered in his ear the message given to him by the wise Wartan. Within it was contained the victory over the Snake."

"So it was that the beginning of the end began. Heeding Wartan's words Njordon left the safety of his vessel and climbed upon Olegardsormr's huge back. Tired, the hero began racing the length of the creature's spine. Seeing a clear chance of dispatching its enemy, the Serpent gave chase, racing after Njordon with its huge maw. So it was that it ate itself in its own blind hunger."

"Victory did not come without a price for our hero. Before reaching the tip of the tail, Njordon was far too tired and collapsed, nearly succumbing to his wounds. So grave was the situation that the dread ravens, black heralds of death, had already began circling in the skies above. But he did not give up. As a true Nord, he got back up and continued. In the last stretch, his legs were bitten off by the hungry monster. Njordon howled in pain but crawled on."

"After his quest, Njordon fell into the water. There he was rescued by those who dwell in the waters, unknown spirits of great power and mystery. They granted him a fishtail to replace his legs with and bestowed upon him the powers of the sea. And so Njordon became the God of Seas, most loyal of companions of Wartan."

"Please enjoy this little campground I just made for you! I'll count that as one of your wishes, Pretzel... even though you didn't get any in the first place. Which means your in the minus. Which means you owe me a wish. Now let me think... I have been craving a pretzel recently, happen to have one?" :tongue:

"My dear Monk, I'm afraid that it will be impractical for us to continue the journey to his place by foot. I need to get you there as soon as possible because I am needed elsewhere. Trust me, you'll have plenty of adventuring on foot in the upcoming week."

"Well well well... anyone have a good story?"

"Enjoy this campground? Is that even possible under these circumstances?" I shiver more from disgust than from cold. Nevertheless I wrap my cloak tighter about my body.

"If we are doing the wishing game, which is all a big hoax anyway as is obvious, no one would be able to count this pitiful excuse for a fire as one of my wishes. Frankly, I would rather you had...bah! Nevermind. And, no, you may not have a pretzel."

I glance at my cart to make sure that it is securely locked.

"In the future, I would prefer to fly on my own. This cross of mine can easily keep up with you and hovers along quite nicely. It would save me another highly unpleasant journey tomorrow."

"I have many a good story to tell. When I have a good audience to tell it to and the right conditions to tell it in. At present, I receive no inspiration."

"Shiny things? Gold you mean? Or other precious gems? Mythril? I don't mind hearing stories of such things, as long as they are worthy stories and not stories that leave one in a permanent state of: *huh* "

"I don't mind a story of your people Erdathcath, be it a song or just some common tale. I always did love me a good song or story. It reminds me of home. Back up North, we have a very rich storytelling and song-singing tradition, chronicling the greatest achievements of our gods, Human champions and history of our wild, mighty and beautiful land."

"Ghastly! I tell you. I can only imagine what those storytelling and song-singing nights were like! Drunken org...evenings. Worthless times. I am quite certain that the only reason you found them enjoyable was because you were out of your mind yourself!"

Through gale and storm, we learn to live.

Though trees may fall, the forest still stands.

Over rivers deep and calm,

Through the forest peaceful and strong

In the trees oh so high,

lives the peaceful folk who do not die.

Needless to say, my people weren't the most creative at singing.

"'Peaceful folk who do not die?'

Pah! That's a lie!"

I snort in rhyme.

"You can say that again about your people's creativity...or lack of it, but it is not a bad song. At least it is not downright evil!"

"You have a great voice for singing, Elf. A flute or harp would've truly added a finishing touch." Eric said, sort of happily. He then turned to monk Pretzel and grinned. "What about you Monk? I very much doubt you have anything interesting to share with us, song or tale. It's probably all just heathen and pagan crap in your eyes."

"Agreed on that one point. A flute or harp would truly complement you elf."

I then turn to Eric. "In truth, I have many interesting things to say. Unfortunately I doubt your ears are ready to hear them. Be it far from me to create strife for no reason. Perhaps later. Furthermore, tales are not all pagan nonsense in my eyes only pagan ones are, such as your own. Clearly there is a measure of truth in it, but, for the most part it is just wild fabrication of a man's imagination. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but if you're going to fabricate a tale, at least make it worth the effort it takes to tell it."

Nevertheless, just to please you people's ravenous appetite for song, I shall deliver you one battle cry proclaimed by a commander in the far eastern marches of the lands of Ne'ernea

I want you to be in my army

I want you to obey my call

I want you to fight with these, here, weapons

I want you to truly give your all.

I want you to be strong in spirit

I want you to pick up those who fall

I want you to charge through the foe

I want you to defend Lasmidanyol.

I want you to defeat devils

I want you to make them fear your call

I want you to claim new territory

I want you to give them a nasty maul.

I want you to be a leader

I want you to save the small

I want you to win many battles

Until the day these devils finally fall

I want you!

Edited by Palathadric

"No, I'm afraid I have no tale to share - or actually I do, but it is getting late and we probably should be getting off to slee-- eeeeek!"

Eugene suddenly disappears and you notice his "magic lamp" is shaking nervously behind you.

You hear heavy footsteps, and in the dim light of the campfire you see a gruff figure.

04.jpg

He gruffly exclaims: "Hail travelers! I heard that battle cry... quite moving. Thats what made me notice you guys. Anyways, I am here to collect your allegiance. Believe it or not, I am a demigod banished to this barren land, and if you don't join my cause to take over the universe then I will be forced to make you join me! None can defeat me!! Buahah *cough cough* So yeah. You are currently surrounded by my army of a thousand trained elf warriors, and they all have their arrows pointed at you. Surrender and join my side. I am your father. We have cookies."

"In the future, I would prefer to fly on my own. This cross of mine can easily keep up with you and hovers along quite nicely. It would save me another highly unpleasant journey tomorrow."

"I have many a good story to tell. When I have a good audience to tell it to and the right conditions to tell it in. At present, I receive no inspiration."

Eric laughed. "You fly on your cross? Like a witch flying on her broom? What madness, you truly are a crazy one, monk!"

"Ghastly! I tell you. I can only imagine what those storytelling and song-singing nights were like! Drunken org...evenings. Worthless times. I am quite certain that the only reason you found them enjoyable was because you were out of your mind yourself!"

"Of course such events will only remain locked in your imagination, because why would you ever witness such a night of feast? You, who only preaches and complains during his life, instead of actually living it? If I were a compassionate person that cared about total strangers, I would be sorry for you. Luckily though, I don't really care that much."

I then turn to Eric. "In truth, I have many interesting things to say. Unfortunately I doubt your ears are ready to hear them. Be it far from me to create strife for no reason. Perhaps later. Furthermore, tales are not all pagan nonsense in my eyes only pagan ones are, such as your own. Clearly there is a measure of truth in it, but, for the most part it is just wild fabrication of a man's imagination. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but if you're going to fabricate a tale, at least make it worth the effort it takes to tell it."

The Norse Raider shook his head and rolled his eyes. "What do you know of a good story, or the world for that matter, anyway? I did not fabricate the story. It is an ancient tale passed on to us by generations of skalds. It is not a fabrication of man's imagination, but an account of heroic events that serve as a great example for all of us."

Nevertheless, just to please you people's ravenous appetite for song, I shall deliver you one battle cry proclaimed by a commander in the far eastern marches of the lands of Ne'ernea

"Mediocre at best, but the words do speak truth. You should heed them, monk. Maybe you'll find yourself some eternal fame and glory!"

He gruffly exclaims: "Hail travelers! I heard that battle cry... quite moving. Thats what made me notice you guys. Anyways, I am here to collect your allegiance. Believe it or not, I am a demigod banished to this barren land, and if you don't join my cause to take over the universe then I will be forced to make you join me! None can defeat me!! Buahah *cough cough* So yeah. You are currently surrounded by my army of a thousand trained elf warriors, and they all have their arrows pointed at you. Surrender and join my side. I am your father. We have cookies."

Eric got up, grasping his mighty sword by its sheath. The light of the fire behind him made his tall stature all the more imposing. He grinned, but that was hard for the stranger to notice in the dark. His grin turned to a chuckle. "You, a demigod? You want to take over the universe, huh? Why would a demigod even need the assistance of mortals for doing that?"

The Nord laughed loudly and unsheathed Godricsleif[/]. He picked up a bottle of his Mead and drank it to the bottom. His face then turned more serious again. "A song will be sung of us, a Nord, Elf and lunatic defeating a demigod. There will not be a chance at gaining such fame again!"

Just as I am about to retort, an absolute lunatic (and I don't mean myself) jumps into our circle claiming to be a demigod and claiming to have 1000s of elven warriors surround us.

I cannot control my laughter. At a moment of some tenseness it would have seemed unexpected, but the man was just such a lunatic!

"'Believe it or not you say?' You're right. We don't believe it. What the devil incarnate is a 'demigod' anyway? :wacko: Nonsense! Absolute nonsense. You are a real fool to burst in here and seek to capture our allegiance...or whatever. You chose your time well, with this airy puff of blueness has just disappeared, it makes me suspicious of him indeed, but unfortunately we are not playing mafia. So, you think we can't fight you. Ha! Even the nord, as carnal a man as he is, looks like he could take you with ease in a fair fight, not to mention the spiritual power at my beck and call. Be wary young man, and think with your head. If you really have 1000s of elf warriors surrounding us, why are you afraid to show them to us?!?" :wacko:

Eric got up, grasping his mighty sword by its sheath. The light of the fire behind him made his tall stature all the more imposing. He grinned, but that was hard for the stranger to notice in the dark. His grin turned to a chuckle. "You, a demigod? You want to take over the universe, huh? Why would a demigod even need the assistance of mortals for doing that?"

The Nord laughed loudly and unsheathed Godricsleif. He picked up a bottle of his Mead and drank it to the bottom. His face then turned more serious again. "A song will be sung of us, a Nord, Elf and lunatic defeating a demigod. There will not be a chance at gaining such fame again!"

odzaph_the_semi-mad_demi-god_-_icon.jpg

"Is this a challenge to a fight!? You are truly mad if you think that you can defeat me and my army of thousands of elven warriors! You are a fool! Surrender and you will be spared, pitiful numskull!" :damn:

Just as I am about to retort, an absolute lunatic (and I don't mean myself) jumps into our circle claiming to be a demigod and claiming to have 1000s of elven warriors surround us.

I cannot control my laughter. At a moment of some tenseness it would have seemed unexpected, but the man was just such a lunatic!

"'Believe it or not you say?' You're right. We don't believe it. What the devil incarnate is a 'demigod' anyway? :wacko: Nonsense! Absolute nonsense. You are a real fool to burst in here and seek to capture our allegiance...or whatever. You chose your time well, with this airy puff of blueness has just disappeared, it makes me suspicious of him indeed, but unfortunately we are not playing mafia. So, you think we can't fight you. Ha! Even the nord, as carnal a man as he is, looks like he could take you with ease in a fair fight, not to mention the spiritual power at my beck and call. Be wary young man, and think with your head. If you really have 1000s of elf warriors surrounding us, why are you afraid to show them to us?!?" :wacko:

The demigod starts to turn red and huff and puff.

odzaph_the_semi-mad_demi-god_-_icon.jpg

"Who do you think you are, old man! You are a fool if you think you can outsmart me! BUAHAHAHA! Why should I show you my thousands of elf warriors? Are you doubting the fact that I have a huge army at my command!?"

Yes, we are challenging you, if you truly had an army, surely you could at least show us? Otherwise, I shall have to kill you, or at least ask you to leave.

We are trying to sleep, so yeah, just leave us alone.