Sign in to follow this  
Andrzej777

Train Layout Question

Hey Guys

I am somewhat new to Lego and basically into historic themes. Recently I got the idea of getting into trains as well - they can be put into historic contexts as well :)

My question to you: After having seen quite a few train displays on the net I realized that most trains actually run on a flat surface. Is it even possible to have a lego train running up and down a mountain?

Yes, Lego trains can go up a hill. You're going to need some space though... You can't go up more than 2 plates per track section.

Just to be on the safe side: If I buy a non-motorized lego train (like the constitution), will this additional elements be sufficient to get it motorized or do I need anything else?

sorry, just checked I need 88000 as well to get some power :)

but these should be everything right?

Edited by Andrzej777

My question to you: After having seen quite a few train displays on the net I realized that most trains actually run on a flat surface. Is it even possible to have a lego train running up and down a mountain?

For normal lego trains they can only go up very gentle slopes (as per Duq's note), old 12v and 4.5v trains from pre 1990 could go up steeper slopes because the rails had texture for the wheels to grab.

Of course you could incorporate ideas from real railroads and build a rack railway for steeper slopes, e.g., this example. Or nearly vertical and build a funicular, e.g., this example.

Just to be on the safe side: If I buy a non-motorized lego train (like the constitution), will this additional elements be sufficient to get it motorized or do I need anything else?

sorry, just checked I need 88000 as well to get some power :)

but these should be everything right?

The constitution is a great set and had the movie been successful I bet the set would be a lot more expensive now. I've posted instructions for modifying the locomotive here. It would be very tricky to actually add power to the locomotive itself without extensive modification if not a complete rebuild. The most straight forward solution would be to motorize the tender, but you'll need to make it a bit larger to fit all of the PF components in it, perhaps copy the Emereald Night tender (the instructions can be downloaded from lego, post back if you can't find them). Other folks have motorized the boxcar/jail-car that came with the set.

That said, if you don't have any of the PF components, you are likely better off starting with one of the "complete" city train sets, they have all of the PF components already included (in particular the train controller, 8879). If you need them anyway, then the train sets are not a bad parts pack. A lot of the prolific train builders have many extra copies of the 8879 controller because that is the one part in a train set that you don't need a ton of. Buy the Constitution while it is still relatively cheap, but also get one of the city trains.

For normal lego trains they can only go up very gentle slopes (as per Duq's note), old 12v and 4.5v trains from pre 1990 could go up steeper slopes because the rails had texture for the wheels to grab.

Of course you could incorporate ideas from real railroads and build a rack railway for steeper slopes, e.g., this example. Or nearly vertical and build a funicular, e.g., this example.

The constitution is a great set and had the movie been successful I bet the set would be a lot more expensive now. I've posted instructions for modifying the locomotive here. It would be very tricky to actually add power to the locomotive itself without extensive modification if not a complete rebuild. The most straight forward solution would be to motorize the tender, but you'll need to make it a bit larger to fit all of the PF components in it, perhaps copy the Emereald Night tender (the instructions can be downloaded from lego, post back if you can't find them). Other folks have motorized the boxcar/jail-car that came with the set.

That said, if you don't have any of the PF components, you are likely better off starting with one of the "complete" city train sets, they have all of the PF components already included (in particular the train controller, 8879). If you need them anyway, then the train sets are not a bad parts pack. A lot of the prolific train builders have many extra copies of the 8879 controller because that is the one part in a train set that you don't need a ton of. Buy the Constitution while it is still relatively cheap, but also get one of the city trains.

Thanks for the reply - I have been struggling with the idea of buying that constitution train for quite some time - its about 50% more expensive than at launch right now. Buying those extra components to make it running will be another 50% added... still havent made up my mind, though.

I dont really want to buy any of those city trains - those colors are not really suitable for building western trains IMHO. Yes, I kinda restrict myself to historic themes

Thanks for the reply - I have been struggling with the idea of buying that constitution train for quite some time - its about 50% more expensive than at launch right now. Buying those extra components to make it running will be another 50% added... still havent made up my mind, though.

I dont really want to buy any of those city trains - those colors are not really suitable for building western trains IMHO. Yes, I kinda restrict myself to historic themes

As someone who owns it and debated on it himself, get it! That locomotive is worth having. It's a great design on its own, and is very easy to modify to be better. I added siderods, shortened the pilot truck, added details to the cab, a custom crew, and I'm in the process of extending the tender to a decent length. Power will be installed inside an appropriate boxcar or baggage car when I am able to build one.

dha5x5.jpg

As someone who owns it and debated on it himself, get it! That locomotive is worth having. It's a great design on its own, and is very easy to modify to be better. I added siderods, shortened the pilot truck, added details to the cab, a custom crew, and I'm in the process of extending the tender to a decent length. Power will be installed inside an appropriate boxcar or baggage car when I am able to build one.

dha5x5.jpg

Thanks!

Another (stupid) question:

I have a couple of tracks already from the silver mine - these can be attached to a baseplate. How about curved tracks? How do you attach those?

Quoting the entire post above including the photo is pointless. Please don't. Use quote when replying to a few posts back or to only part of the previous post.

Curved track does not attach directly to a baseplate. Easiest thing is to put the curve on tiles. If the straights on either end are fixed (one plate up from the baseplate to match the tiles) the curve won't move.