For my first post I'd like to share something I built a few months back. This is my first actual post so please do be gentle :P I decided to design a much more fleshed out version of the 60051 High Speed Passenger Train by adding various types of new custom passenger cars and locomotives. I implemented some ideas from the 10233 Horizon Express, which is quite noticeable from the pictures below (such as the all-black 10233 inter-car bogey). Firstly I wanted the design to be much more detailed and to use more advanced building techniques such as those seen in 10233 than what is standard for a City set. For instance, I wanted my passenger cars to be intermodal articulated (cheers Duq :P) to really catch that high speed train vibe. Additionally, it had to have functioning doors and fairly detailed interiors. However, common limitations prevented me from doing particular designs such as a restaurant car as an interior four studs wide simply would not be enough for me to create a bar/lounge that didn't look like it was being choked by the walls of the car.

If anyone wishes to build/use the designs, I'm more than happy to upload relevant .lxf files for you all :) just be sure to credit me properly. So without further ado, have at it!

1. Inter-car bogey (10233 design in all-black)

26318766556_bf4bde4e74_c.jpgExpress2 - Bogey by Bartybum, on Flickr

2. Short end coach

26318767006_549a88f262_c.jpgExpress2 - Coach End Short by Bartybum, on Flickr

3. Short coach middle

26252325112_f814de07d8_c.jpgExpress2 - Coach Short by Bartybum, on Flickr

4. Short locomotive

26278484121_ba58a96cfb_c.jpgExpress2 - Engine by Bartybum, on Flickr

5. Long coach middle (No end coach as of yet, as I'm yet to design one)

26344725955_277c64a803_c.jpgExpress2 - Coach Long by Bartybum, on Flickr

6. Long locomotive

26252326302_98cf811e30_c.jpgExpress2 - Engine Long by Bartybum, on Flickr

7. Super locomotive (uses inter-car bogey and is therefore inseparable from the rest of the consist)

25741956363_8027724fbc_c.jpgExpress2 - Super Engine by Bartybum, on Flickr

At this point I asked myself, why stop at one storey? Why not follow the footsteps of the Metroliner and go double decker? Naturally I did :)

8. Two storey coach

26252327002_4035fac68c_c.jpgExpress2 - Two Storey Coach by Bartybum, on Flickr

9. Two storey transition coach

26071852150_60620be89f_c.jpgExpress2 - Two Storey Transition Coach by Bartybum, on Flickr

Obviously since this is Lego, you can switch around cars if need be, so you can make whatever configuration you want. Two examples:

26071853650_c901af25d2_c.jpgExpress2 by Bartybum, on Flickr

25741957713_b03c026f6b_c.jpgExpress2.1 by Bartybum, on Flickr

Since LDD doesn't do stickers the abrupt disappearance of red and dark grey from the nose looks just a bit jarring. Keep in mind that these designs are built with the implication of the stickers on the nose already being there. Now that all's said and done, just hit me up in the replies if you'd like .lxf files, more than happy to give them out :) EDIT: .zip files in reply section

Edited by Bartybum

Some interesting designs. Not much left of 60051 other than the nose piece.

By the way:

Intermodal ‎= Relating to more than one mode of transport.

Probably not what you meant ;-) I'm guessing you were thinking of intermodal container cars with shared bogies. They are called Jacobs bogies and using them gives you an articulated car or trainset.

Those double decker coaches looks awesome!

This project looks great! I love what you did with the 60051!

I made a similar club car double decker into a modular design and I even put it up on Ideas, shortly after someone copied mine and tried to replicate my exact design but changed up parts i wouldnt have done because it looked bad

i like how you did yours using the technique on the windows like used on the Horizon Express

would you mind sharing the LXF files? I would love to build this its a great design and again, excellent work!

I look forward to seeing your next ideas :)

Nice looking set. Plenty of options all around for various layouts. The top color stripe changing between cars is nifty too.

Cool!

Would be great to see the LDD files for the doubledecker.. might wanna add that to my HE.. ;-)

Unfortunately I'm unable to attach the files because of the 100K file limit per thread so the only way I can do it is via Dropbox.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh3avsp7kwfnuyp/Express2.zip?dl=0

From recollection, I don't think there are any building errors in any of the files, but I may be wrong, so be wary. The locomotives' interiors are very loosely built and with minimal detail but include enough space for motors/battery boxes. Enjoy, and be sure to give credit!

Edited by Bartybum

Unfortunately I'm unable to attach the files because of the 100K file limit per thread so the only way I can do it is via Dropbox.

Link: https://www.dropbox....press2.zip?dl=0

From recollection, I don't think there are any building errors in any of the files, but I may be wrong, so be wary. The locomotives' interiors are very loosely built and with minimal detail but include enough space for motors/battery boxes. Enjoy, and be sure to give credit!

Thanks so much!

Thanks for the excellent idea of transisiton cars, I would have never thought of them, it gives much more room than making a bilevel car with a roof height the same as the other cars, I will be using it in my LDD high speed train project.

God Bless

Christ be with you.

Thank You for sharing your awesome designs. I can't wait to render them in Blue Render!

Edited by ncx

Thank You for sharing your awesome designs. I can't wait to see them in Blue Render!

Haha, that probably won't happen any time soon unless someone else does it for me, I've got hardly enough time to learn Blue Render :P

Haha, that probably won't happen any time soon unless someone else does it for me, I've got hardly enough time to learn Blue Render :P

I should correct myself, I was going to do it :D

I make alot of stuff in LDD and then render them to see what they will look like built. :D

Quite old this thread, but I don't like the original design either, windows put where they placed the battery box and such, so u can see everything, instead of just normal seats!!!

I wonder how much extra pieces u need for the engine part!?

Edited by Dragunov2

Comparing 60051 with short locomotive 214 extra parts are required. With long locomotive number of extra parts is increased to 260.