Expensive and history and even more expensive in Lego, I am finding it very hard to find cheap cannons.

I have scoured Bricklink and came up with nothing. Why are they so expensive? I got 3 mid-sections, 2 end-sections and a bow off bricklink for less than £4 so why are cannons like £2 each?

I am building my first ever sailing ship and only a few (around 10) cannons would do and I am simply no willing to break the bank on them.

Thanks,

Spud.

You could always brick-build your guns. Brick-built are often more to scale any way.

You could always brick-build your guns. Brick-built are often more to scale any way.

I suppose I could actually.

Redcoats are expensive as well, but I would rather spend my money on them (and make them historically accurate by giving them top hats). :caroler:

Apologies, it nought you were being facetious. It is my understanding that, amongst many other elements of their uniforms, marines hats depended on their regiment. Some did wear a kind of round brim hat, very like a top hat, but smaller and with a slight taper. The name escapes me but they resemble Puritan hats in miniature. The same hats were also popular for midshipman. For lack of a better peice, the Lego top has often for many builders before.

I'm a Lego cannon hoarder. pirate_devg1.gif And I don't share them either.

Kurigan does make a good point here. There are a lot of great ideas for brick built cannons, and if you're building on a prefab hull, smaller cannons would be more realistic.

th_cannon.jpg

It's too bad brickshelf is down, you would be able to see Dunkleosteus' brick-built cannons in this topic. There's also the out-dated Cannon Index that still has some viewable thumbs. With brickshelf down, most of the links don't work. pirate_look.gif

I think the tv series "hornblower" may be a great suggestion fo historically accurate english uniforms. The episode "frogs and lobsters" shows lots of infantry (lego redcoats?)

I'm a Lego cannon hoarder. pirate_devg1.gif And I don't share them either.

Kurigan does make a good point here. There are a lot of great ideas for brick built cannons, and if you're building on a prefab hull, smaller cannons would be more realistic.

th_cannon.jpg

It's too bad brickshelf is down, you would be able to see Dunkleosteus' brick-built cannons in this topic. There's also the out-dated Cannon Index that still has some viewable thumbs. With brickshelf down, most of the links don't work. pirate_look.gif

Yes, I was looking earlier but as you said Brickshelf was down

I think the tv series "hornblower" may be a great suggestion fo historically accurate english uniforms. The episode "frogs and lobsters" shows lots of infantry (lego redcoats?)

It hurts me to hear the word England instead of Britain pirate_sceptic.gif

Just 'coz I am Scottish :pir-grin:

Uooops! Forgive my ignorance, sometimes it happens to me to say "england" instead of UK. I heard every region is proud of its identity. If it happens again, I can promise it will not be on purpose.. (sorry).

Back on your search for official lego cannons saving for redcoats, have you considered to buy some 6239 used set? This way you may have a cannon, a soldier and a sailor, each..

Edited by Matteo1130

I mentioned this in the 2015 Lego Pirates thread, but I think it's an interesting challenge. Design a housing for the small stud shooter cannon that makes it look like a passable miniature pirate cannon. Unfortunately I don't own any of the stud shooters so I can't try to do this myself, but I'd be interested to see what other people come up with. pirate_laugh2.gif

I mentioned this in the 2015 Lego Pirates thread, but I think it's an interesting challenge. Design a housing for the small stud shooter cannon that makes it look like a passable miniature pirate cannon. Unfortunately I don't own any of the stud shooters so I can't try to do this myself, but I'd be interested to see what other people come up with. pirate_laugh2.gif

A stud shooter would certainly be interesting but maybe not to my liking.

Sorry for the question, but "stud shooter" means the cannon in the junior pirates set?

No it is what Bad Cop is holding here:

Screen_shot_2013-06-18_at_5.29.34_PM.png

Although it looks like there will be an alternative stud-mounted version of the shooter, if the Green Lantern set is anything to go by, and this would probably be easier to build into a cannon housing.

I was dubious at first but I think a dark bley or black stud shooter with a black stud could pass as a small cannon.

No it is what Bad Cop is holding here:

Screen_shot_2013-06-18_at_5.29.34_PM.png

Although it looks like there will be an alternative stud-mounted version of the shooter, if the Green Lantern set is anything to go by, and this would probably be easier to build into a cannon housing.

I was dubious at first but I think a dark bley or black stud shooter with a black stud could pass as a small cannon.

I have two black ones off of 75034