Yes, I'm starting another WIP. This time, I'm working on the humongous snake that was the focus of Ninjago's second plot arc. And as with the Tiger Widow, I'm trying to make it show-accurate.

24443284085_c21c0b7622.jpg

The eye. I'm trying to keep this simple but effective. I'm not entirely satisfied with the pupil, however. Any ideas on how to approximate the fang-like curve better?

24417070456_7597182e9f.jpg

Here's the fang, with a minifig for scale. It's a big snake :laugh:. Since I'm not going for buildability and instead trying to pretty much make a LDD puppet, it's going to have joints everywhere, mouth, frill and incredibly long and noodle-y body. Expect 35+ points of articulation :wink:.

Comments and criticism appreciated!

Gallery

Edited by DraikNova

What about two indominus rex tails, for fangs

6114340.jpg

Also here's Legohaulics Great Devourer for inspiration

14007279800_67de7f5d9b_b.jpg

Edited by Dr.Cogg

Yeah, I saw that while looking for inspiration. Sadly, the Indominus rex tail isn't available in LDD. It'd be perfect otherwise. It even has little serrations.

What about two indominus rex tails, for fangs

6114340.jpg

Also here's Legohaulics Great Devourer for inspiration

14007279800_67de7f5d9b_b.jpg

THIS WOULD LOOK AMAZING!

Should I try to replicate the show version perfectly, or should I make it more realistic? I've been wondering whether I should give it the six-fold nostrils a lot of snakes seem to have, amongst other things. I'm definitely keeping the comical saber-tooth fangs though.

Funny fact: that extending up into the sky thing the Great Devourer did when it first woke up is apparently quite common behavior among snakes.

Oh, and preliminary estimates indicate this thing is going to be over 500 studs long.

EDIT: Ok, turns out that was an underestimation. With access to the relevant episodes and a better grasp of the size of its eyes relative to the rest of its body, I'm now working at a size where it's tongue alone is 32 studs (which, based on a minifigure's height, would be 9 meters in real life. For comparison, the longest living snake is about 6 meters long at the most) long.

EDIT2: Just to give an idea:

24167438350_df9cbf6b98.jpg

That little red blob is a minifig. And this is without the tail or the wider sections near the head.

Edited by DraikNova

I like these show-accurate builds. I started with building micro scale Preeminent last summer, maybe now I finish it and post the build.

Try it! I suggest using these parts to make a poseable claw. Connect the 1x1 tile to the ball cup end of the modified plate, add the 1x2 slope to the other end, connect the 1x3 plate and then add the 1x2 plate to the slope end. Voila, one half of a claw.

Edited by DraikNova

Remember the show version grew bigger the more it consumed, so scale can vary widely while still being accurate :wink:

Yes, but if the tail is twice the size of the head, that's a big :tongue: issue. Incidentally, the spike on the tail seems to be larger than the actual head; at it's base, it's almost as wide as the frill.