Morgan19

The Pale Masque (Thunderhead Marauder skypirates)

3709524112_7baa0baa77_o.jpg

Theme Name:

Thunderhead Marauders

(Castle, Pirate, skypirates, steampunk, treasure hunting, etc.)

Theme Description:

"Set sail for unimaginable adventures in a flying airship with The Pale Masque, captain of the notorious Thunder Marauder skypirates"

The Thunderhead Marauders product line can be considered a subtheme of the Castle or Pirate lines, firmly rooted in both skypirate and steampunk traditions but with a definite Medieval influence. Pirate bases built on and around floating rocks, small scout sloops whipping through the sky, and larger attack galleons slowly making their way across the air lanes are common sights in this world. The Thunderhead Marauders are a throwback to LEGO's older sets, where the focus was only on one faction instead of a forced conflict between two factions in one box: although the Marauders are labeled as pirates by other people in the world, how they actually interact with a child's other LEGO factions would be completely up to each child themselves.

Sets are split between playsets and airships, with playsets being anything from a small floating rock outpost to the Marauder's expansive mountain base, and ships as small as a scout boat to the largest flying warship galleon, the Thunderhead. The focus is on swooshability and interactivity between ships and playsets to create an imaginary world's history firmly rooted in the sky.

The central figure in this line is someone known only as The Pale Masque, a man immediately identified by his terrifying skull mask and insignia. Supporting figures include various airship crewmen and women, Marauder soldiers, the cook, and cuddly black cats.

Entry Images:

My minifig entry for the contest is The Pale Masque, the mysteriously concealed captain of the Thunderhead Marauder skypirates. Custom elements by me are the helmet with horns attached, goggles painted silver, brown cape with painted skull emblem, and painted weapons (which used to be hideously bright trans-orange). Third-party elements are BrickForge (horns, neck armor, pauldrons, vambraces) and MegaBloks (spear, shield) items.

(Click an image to go to its respective Flickr page)

3709433276_52b9ae4ca4.jpg

3709433288_86f86bcd9b_m.jpg 3708619843_4e12354b85_m.jpg 3708619793_1c5b47fb46_m.jpg

3709433324_749eb29f33_m.jpg 3709433340_f493a8dbe6_m.jpg 3709433350_6d2348856c_m.jpg

Marauder Soldier:

3736716889_161fcd4c61_t.jpg 3737510656_2d31f099f4_m.jpg

>> Figure Gallery Here

Set List:

#1345 - Airship Crewman

Impulse / 18 pieces / 1 minifig / $3.49

> Comes with one Marauder crewman minifigure, black cat, supplies, weapons rack, rifle, and saber.

#1346 - Marauder Scoutship

Airship / 67 pieces / 1 minifig / $6.99

> Consists of a a small scout-class patrol airship. Comes with one Marauder crewman minifigure, supplies, rifle, and spear.

#1347 - Treasure Rock

Playset / 101 pieces / 2 minifigs / $9.99

> Consists of a "floating rock" structure with hidden treasure alcove. Comes with one Marauder crewman, one Marauder soldier minifigure, black cat, supplies, rifles, and sabers.

#1348 - Lookout Spire

Playset / 243 pieces / 3 minifigs / $19.99

> Consists of a small hut-like structure built atop a tall, spindly section of mountain. Comes with two Marauder crewmen minifigures, one Marauder officer minifigure, supplies, rifles, spears, and bucklers.

#1349 - Marauder Lightning Raider

Airship / 304 pieces / 3 minifigs / $29.99

> Consists of a small raider-class attack airship. Comes with one Marauder crewmen minifigure, two Marauder soldier minifigures, supplies, rifles, spears, and bucklers.

#1350 - Marauder Skybarge

Airship & Playset / 518 pieces / 4 minifigs / $49.99

> Consists of a medium-sized skybarge-class transport airship and small "floating rock" dock. Comes with two Marauder soldier minifigures, one cook minifigure, one Marauder officer minifigure, black cat, supplies, rifles, and spears.

#1351 - Marauder's Stronghold

Playset / 789 pieces / 6 minifigs / $99.99

> Consists of the Marauder's ground-based mountain stronghold and docking platforms. Comes with four Marauder soldier minifigures, one Marauder officer minifigure, one Pale Masque captain minifigure, two black cats, supplies, rifles, spears, and bucklers.

#1352 - The Maruader Warship Thunderhead

Airship / 901 pieces / 9 minifigs / $99.99

> Consists of the largest flying galleon-class warship. Comes with five Marauder crewmen minifigures, two Marauder officer minifigures, one , one Pale Masque captain minifigure, black cat, supplies, and all weapons.

>> Figure Gallery Here

m19

Edited by Morgan19

Sweet job! It would make a great theme. And it seems like Megabloks can come in handy sometimes. :thumbup:

Whooo wonderful customisation !

I really like the cape !

this minifig makes me want your theme for real ! :classic:

Neat customization and great use of the new face from the Indy line, Morgan19!

Your entry is already complete to qualify for the voting. Good luck!

LuxorV

The kind that can see good uses in all sorts of parts, instead of simply poo-poo'ing them right off the bat?

Although I agree MB sets themselves on the whole are horrid, crappy products, I'm not above seeing the good in them. As I've said elsewhere, I'd found a ton of something called "Plasma Dragon" packs on clearance for $1 and each one had a bunch of interesting weapons like the spear and shield. They're in obnoxious colors like trans-blue and neon orange, but they come out pretty nice once re-painted, as this shows.

Would I have purchased them for more than the the measly $1? No, probably not. But they were inexpensive and make for good parts once modified appropriately, and that works for me. If you want to limit yourself that's fine, but please don't knock me as a "LEGO fan" because I venture into areas you wouldn't.

m19

Edited by Morgan19

The only reason I say this is once I bought a Megablocks set, and hardly any of the pieces fit together. I guess $1 is fine with me, as long as you're not spending your life savings buying those sets.

Edited by Clone Commander Assassin

Nice job you did here. :thumbup:

The extensive line-up of the other mini-figs is truly amazing.

Allthough I doubt that TLC is ever going to take this path into Dark Fantasy I am glad you did. :sweet:

And here's a Marauder Soldier to keep The Pale Masque company on those long intercontinental flights:

3736716889_161fcd4c61_m.jpg 3737510656_2d31f099f4_m.jpg

(Images click through to Flickr pages.)

m19

Edited by Morgan19

This helmet is Wicked awsome. :knight:

Indeed, great use of those two pieces :thumbup:

LuxorV

Indeed, great use of those two pieces :thumbup:

LuxorV

Great combination... the fig looks amazing and it is really a testament to skill that such a unique fig can be achieved with a technique so simple.

Jasbrick