Sign in to follow this  
Meiko

Best way to flatten LEGO Sails?

I've found that some of my LEGO sails have curls or wrinkles in them. I was wondering if ironing and maybe starching them is safe, or if there's a better method to straighten them out. Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

I put it into water and then ironing it, but you have to put a handkerchief over it. The iron never shall touch the sail directly.

If the wrinkles are only minimal you can use a steam iron and don´t need to water the sail.

If you want a safe method, I have found it works well to just soak the sails in tap water and smooth them out across a hard, flat surface to dry. Ironing would work a little bit better, but I agree with Matthias that a thin cloth over the sail while ironing is preferred. I have never tried ironing a sail directly, but I am not confident with how it might react on the colored portions. It should be fine, but I have never found it worth the risk.

I have ironed my sails, and did it straight onto the sail, had nothing between the iron and the sail. I do short, quick strokes, and I do it in stages. My sails have been fine so far.

I have ironed my sails, and did it straight onto the sail, had nothing between the iron and the sail. I do short, quick strokes, and I do it in stages. My sails have been fine so far.

I recently did the same and there was no issue for me as well.

I put it into water and then ironing it, but you have to put a handkerchief over it. The iron never shall touch the sail directly.

If the wrinkles are only minimal you can use a steam iron and don´t need to water the sail.

+1

This method works very well. If there are stains you can also use a little bit of normal soap with the water. This method works wonders, I have done it for almost all my sets. Just be careful and gentle. You wont be disappointed. pirate_classic.gif

Don't forget to cover the sails with something (Paper towel, handkerchief etc.)

Edited by pcvando

Thanks for all the ideas guys. What heat do you recommend setting for the iron before I go attempt it. I'd rather not set fire to it. pirate_laugh_new.gif

Thanks for all the ideas guys. What heat do you recommend setting for the iron before I go attempt it. I'd rather not set fire to it. pirate_laugh_new.gif

Well that depends on your Iron, just like pop corn, it says 2:30 seconds on the bag, but my microwave burns the popcorn to death at 1 min lol

Set the iron to "steam setting" and iron them after you have washed them. Any other setting could potentially start a fire... (highly unlikely) pirate_laugh2.gif

Don't forget... "Steam Setting."

Edited by pcvando

This method works wonders, I have done it for almost all my sets. Just be careful and gentle.32.gif

Edited by fasikloes