Sign in to follow this  
Angeli

Lego mosaic

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi friends ;)

I rarely end up in this part of the forum, being castle guy, but, I've decided to make a mosaic as a present to my girl :)

(We will see later if I should have had chosen golden earrings:)))

Anyway, I've made a draft of how it will look, and now I will order colors from bricklink. What should I choose for colors "1" and "2", marked on the picture?

"1" could be white, but what will then be "2"?

I've eliminated all other colors from mosaic, there will be only 4 of them with black background as fifth color; "3" and "4" should be some type of dark and light gray. But lego has a lot of gray bricks, so I wanted to ask you, what colors should I choose for "1","2","3" and '4", regarding their costs on bricklink (I would need about a thousand from each, give or take a few)

(Actually, I will need (approximately) 1000 of "1"; 700 of "2" 400 "3" and 1000 "4")

Also, I was wondering, could everything be done with plate round 1x1? Would the face loose its shape?:) What do you think? This is first time that I plan to build mosaic, so any intro would be most appreciated :)

mosaic-thumb.jpg

Note that thumb-picture is link to the bigger picture

I do hope that this is the right place for this topic ;)

tnx ;)

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

i think the obvious choice for colours is White/Light Bluish Grey/Dark Bluish Grey/Black and I suspect they'll work out the cheapest. Having had a quick glimpse on BL, there's not much difference between the price of 1x1 Bricks and 1x1 Plates in those colours, so the choice there would be pretty much up to what you felt looked nicer.

1x1 round plates are a little cheaper and could work, but I think in that case you'll need to consider more carefully what colour backing plates you're building on, as that colour will naturally 'leak' through the corners of each tile and the wrong shade could well spoil the overall impression. You could always try a small test to see how it looks.

I've eliminated all other colors from mosaic, there will be only 4 of them with black background as fifth color;

LEGO used to have a mosaic kit which used 5 different shades of grayscale. In BrickLink names, they were:

White

Very Light Gray

Light Gray

Dark Gray

Black

Those are the pre-color-change grays, however. The light grays got replaced with:

Very Light Bluish Gray (1x1's not available) (AKA "Light Stone Grey")

Light Bluish Gray (AKA "Medium Stone Grey")

Dark Bluish Gray (AKA "Dark Stone Grey")

The rough RGB values for those are on the Peeron "official LEGO color chart"...

DaveE

If you want a more varied color palette than just white, black and the two grays, you should consider using smooth plates and studded plates. In your example, number 1 could be smooth plates while number 2 could be plates with a stud (since the texture makes them stand out from the smooth plates). :wink: