Sign in to follow this  
Pimbo

[MOC] Atlantis "Neptune Carrier Mk.II" Submarine

Lego Atlantis.

Released after the 1995 Aquazone theme, but set somewhere before the Aquazone theme, this 2010 underwater action theme revolved around a team of daring scientists and adventurers, searching for the lost city of Atlantis. Their main submarine was the 8075 Neptune Carrier.

neptunecarrier8075.jpg

A very cool set, loaded with play features, such as a small rover and detachable minisub. But the major flaw, that you can really only partially blame on the design team, is that the interior of the submarine only seats one single minifig. This is their main submarine, mind you!

So, I set out to build a better version, and have it take a place in my Aquazone project. The idea would be, that this submarine is a former military sub, refitted for civilian use and sold off to an adventurous group searching for a lost underwater city. As such, it has been around for a while and is actually quite an outdated machine in the sci-fi Aquazone universe.

I present to you the

atlantis-neptune-carrier-mk2_.jpg

Technical specifications:

Powerplant: 73000 HP Hydrolator Crystal powered turbine reactor

Propuslion: Twin hybrid pump-jets, additional dual maneuvering pump-jets

Top speed: 40 knots

Armament: Dual torpedo tubes, storage for up to six Mk 59 torpedoes

Oxygen supply: Dual redundant Mk 2 artificial gill system

Crew complement: 10 to 16

dsc_0001_.jpg

The design is somewhat classic, reminiscent perhaps of a nuclear powered submarine (which it actually used to be, before the conversion some years ago to the hydrolator crystal powerplant).

dsc_0010_.jpg

The additional thrusters and hydroplanes provide for ample maneuverability.

dsc_0056_.jpg

Main pump-jets..

steering_.jpg

...that actually steer left and right.

dsc_0077_.jpg

This thing is actually four studs short of the magic one hundred.

dsc_0119_.jpg

But, it does come with interior, because after all, you need a place to eat, sleep and relax. If Lego sets can't have that, AFOL creations should.

dsc_0148_.jpg

From left to right: Torpedo room, control room, laboratory/EVA room, crew quarters, sanitary facilities/engine room (imaginary, gotta cut some corners sometimes)

"Wait, did you say torpedo room? But you said the submarine was converted to civilian use!"

Yes, well, these guys are proper rednecks. If you buy a piece of disabled military hardware, you enable it. Gun law enforcement is a joke in the Aquazone world.

firing-torpedo1_.jpg

"Load torpedo tube one!"

A torpedo is lifted using the overhead crane, and swung into the tube. These torpedoes are quite large, they require two crewmembers to load 'em.

firing-torpedo2_.jpg

"Open tube one outer door!"

firing-torpedo3_.jpg

"Tube one, fire!" (insert your best torpedo launch mimicking sound here)

Notice the flick-fire missiles, as these were an integral part of the Atlantis theme I was obliged to incorporate them somewhere, but they're just for show.

dsc_0140_.jpg

The control room. Visible in the front are the steering and weapons stations, and in the background, sonar.

dsc_0146_.jpg

Captain Blackpool checking the plotted course on the digital navigation chart. Behind him is the ladder leading up to the conning tower.

conning-tower-hatch_.jpg

Up the ladder, through the hatch, you can access the observation platform.

conning-tower-airlock_.jpg

The conning tower also features the sub's communication arrays and an airlock.

dsc_0152_.jpg

The lab, where reasearcher and crew physician dr. McEwan is studying one of the mysterious Atlantis maps.

dsc_0124_.jpg

The EVA lockers and equipment, and the hatch leading to the detachable utility-sub (more on that later).

dsc_0159_.jpg

The crew quarters, with bunk beds, dinnertable and small kitchen. In the rear, the door leading to the aft compartments.

The lower deck has the rover bay in front of the ship, and a small observation room in the rear.

Just like the original "Mk.I" set, this sub has an extra sub and a small car.

roverbay_.jpg

The front of the submarine hinges open when the sub is perched on the seabed, allowing the rover to be driven out. The rover bay also functions as an airlock.

rovertop_.jpg

The rover has storage for flippers under the bonnet (or hood), spearguns, a spacious boot (or trunk), windshield, and even a license plate!

dsc_0046_.jpg

The utility sub, connected with magnets, and accessible via the hatch in the EVA room.

dsc_0166_.jpg

dsc_0177_.jpg

The sub has its own airlock and even has space for a diving suit.

dsc_0181_.jpg

"Let's go find this lost city!"

More pictures in the brickshelf folder (when public), and more Aquazone mocs to come!

Wow so many features, really great MOC! I especially like the torpedo tubes, the conning tower with airlock, and the extra vehicles. I've kicked around the idea of making a large sub and you've definitely set the bar quite high!

Weren't you tempted to slap a fin or antenna to this so you could pass 11 studs? :grin:

Another excellent underwater build. :thumbup:

Absolutely gorgeous !

The shape of it, even thought its so simply built is just looking brilliantly good.

Then there is all the details, and to top it all the functions and playability.

This is a superb build that i will return to look at for months to come.

I so love what you have accomplished here ! :wub:

I have a weak-spot or LEGO submarines, and your MOC is just awsome: A fantastic design, big size and tremendous amount of playroom!

Awesome! The original was one of my favorite Atlantis sets. You really cranked this up to 11! Talk about a "Red" October! (Get it, cuz the sub is red?) :sweet: Lots of love for this.

Weren't you tempted to slap a fin or antenna to this so you could pass 11 studs? :grin:

Another excellent underwater build. :thumbup:

I had thought about extending it to include a SLBM silo section, but that's a little too violent for my taste, and the sub already makes ominous creaking sounds when picking it up... the middle section is almost too weak.

Awesome! The original was one of my favorite Atlantis sets. You really cranked this up to 11! Talk about a "Red" October! (Get it, cuz the sub is red?) :sweet: Lots of love for this.

Heh, hadn't thought of that :laugh: But now that you mention it, my minifig captain does have a neatly maintained beard and 'stache like captain Ramius...

HO-LY Seacow!!! Truely magnificent creation! All those details (especially the interior), functions (rear steering, realistic locks), extra vehicles (that rover... has a licence plate?! :tongue:), all the thought that went into this... :thumbup::wub::thumbup: This creation, together with the recent Spurdog, makes me really want to try a sub...

Point of minor criticism: the red top and sides look rather plain. You could reduce that with a 2-stud-wide strip of red tiles going from front to back, linking those bubble windows. I think it would add some sleekness to it. :classic:

This is so big and realistic looking! It seems heavy, though, so it probably can't be swooshed around easily...

This is so incredible! I don't think I ever had many ocean-action sets, but I would have loved this as a kid. It's just so playable! :laugh:

I've been looking at all the MOC on the forum and this is definitely my favourite so far, love how you've improved the original :)

Sorry bit of a necrobump

Well designed with lot of play features: congratulations! A great submarine made for a safe exploration. Captain Nemo is going to be jealous ^^

I just saw this post and wow - what a submarine! This is almost perfect! I especially like the elegant use of hull plates and the very thought- and skillfully made interior decorations. It is simply an amazing "little" boat :classic::thumbup:

A great elaboration on one of the most unappreciated Lego themes ever. I cannot believe the amount of detail you packed in here. I absolutely love that rover bytheway!

Awesome features you've packed into this!

I had thought about extending it to include a SLBM silo section, but that's a little too violent for my taste, and the sub already makes ominous creaking sounds when picking it up... the middle section is almost too weak.

Too bad about the middle section, this has potential for underwater swooshability! :classic:

I can totally see this in an underwater layout, investigating a giant wreck or ruins...!

This is excellent. A lovely shape, and the red looks fantastic. And the torpedo tubes are genius. Oh, love the utility sub too. All round great job.