Year: 2008

Theme: Racers

Subtheme: Tiny turbos

Pieces: 142 (including extras)

Price: 10 USD / 10 EUR / ?? UKP

Building time: less than 20 minutes

MISB on review: Yes

More info: Brickset - Peeron

Box front and rear: Glow in the dark was the big news in 2008 Tiny Turbos; box rear shows alternate models and other TT sets of that year.

8152-01.jpg

8152-02.jpg

Box sides: Since boxes are oversized, Lego always shows us a part of the set in 1:1 scale. That should usually be a minifig, but this can't be the case, so here's the runaway car. Also, learn how to write "Glow in the dark" in 5 other languages. As always, no Italian! (it should be: "Si illumina al buio")

8152-03.jpg

8152-04.jpg

Box content: 3 separate bags, one for each model; instructions book, stickers.

8152-05.jpg

Sticker sheet: adding details. I wonder, does LR mean Lego Radio?

8152-06.jpg

Inventory pages: click to enlarge

8152-07.jpg

8152-08.jpg

Random instructions page: SNOT technique on the Police car.

8152-09.jpg

Runaway car: Lime green and black, with red and glow in the dark cheese slopes and some chrome silver parts (that's a sort of chrome-y grey, not mirror chrome like some castle accessories). Building is easy.

8152-10.jpg

8152-11.jpg

Runaway car: "Quad" mudguard on front, good ol' 4 wide mudguard on the rear. Slope Brick Curved 2 x 4 was a new piece in 2008; Slope Brick Round 1 x 2 x 2/3 with Flap and No Studs seems to be gone after last year. Yet, 2009 is a sort of comeback year for old pieces...

8152-12.jpg

8152-13.jpg

Police car: Here we are again, two different mudguards. But the most original part of this car is the use of 8 "Brick 1 x 1 with Headlight" for those SNOT sides.

8152-14.jpg

8152-15.jpg

Police car: (Trans) blue and red lights on car front, matching 2x1 tiles on the roof. Double red light on the rear (plate+tile). I would call this car a "low rider", if it wasn't for that rear spoiler. 2 Glow in the dark 2x1 tiles will host a sticker.

8152-16.jpg

8152-17.jpg

Police car: Rear shot. This is the best model in this set.

8152-18.jpg

News copter: The lesser of the 3 models. It's just yellow, with black and grey and lights, no interesting pieces.

8152-19.jpg

8152-22.jpg

News copter: Yes, there's GitD here too. It's that cheese slope right there on the front.

8152-23.jpg

Speed chasing: Comparison shot. Vehicles are now complete and ready to get stickered!

8152-24.jpg

Glow in the dark Cell pic. The best shot I could give at GitD elements. If you never owned any, let me tell you that they work great with solar light or some neon lights.

8152-26.jpg

Sticker time Final front shot

8152-30.jpg

Sticker time Final rear shot

8152-31.jpg

Alternate models: Overview (pic is different from the one on the box rear) and final building steps.

8152-40.jpg

8152-41.jpg

8152-42.jpg

Review:

A midi TT set, with more than one car and less than 6! Something that started good and turned out not-so-good, imho, with the 2009 storage containers. But, let's keep focused on this set. The police car is the stand-out model amongst the three. Classic black and white, surrounded by lights and with the GitD tile(s) on the front. The lime car is a bit weaker, mostly because of the heavy use of this color combo, started in 2006 and still used in 2009! The news copter is even weaker; I think the could have dared building a 3-wide, but that would have meant a massive use of 2x1 jumpers, and price increase. Still, it was something different from cars and trucks. And look at Street extreme, the Police copter looks a lot like this one.

The big news in 2008 TTs was Glow in the Dark; to me it looked simple and effective; I was hoping something alike would have happened this year too (chrome grey pieces would have been great; maybe some new colours) but that wasn't the case. Back to the point: this set looked appealing to me, along with cool colored 8151 Adrift sport, and was something of a plus because you could buy three (or, two and something) for the price of two. That price was even cut off throughout the year in Italy, so I could grab this one for 8 Euros only. A little of a steal!

I grew up with 4-wide cars, so it took a while to get used to TTs; I'm not fully addicted, I'm not even sure what 2009 sets I'll buy (if any), but I learned these sets are worth a look.

Rating:

Color scheme: 4,5/5. I Like both cars, though some might argue that lime and black has been used over and over again in Tiny Turbos. News copter is a bit boring, but it would have been hard to do something different on a 2-wide.

Minifigs and accessories: N/A. Obviously, neither.

Pieces: 4/5. I think GitD pieces are always welcome, so are trans 2x1 tiles. They are exclusive to this set (edit: they areo als available in the 7611 Promo), but they eventually turn into a 2x2 because of the sticker. GitD cheese slopes are to be found in 3 other TT sets (but you even get two extras here!). 8152 mostly consists of small pieces, that's why piece/price ratio is so high (14:1 if we count extras)

Playability: 4/5. Three vehicles and just two hands! I fear kids will soon forget about the news copter.

Design: 4/5. 5 for Police car, 4 for Runaway car, 3 for News copter.

Overall rating: 4,5/5. This rating is based on the comparison with 2009 sets, those with 2 cars and that folding box. This is cheaper, and comes with a copter. A sort of buy 2 get 3 offer that I really liked and TLC should consider.

The final words: Do you think 2008 TTs were the best in their line? So do I.

Edited by The Cobra
Indexed

Nice and short review. :classic:

But if the set didn't have GItD pieces, it would've been a been a poor set, mate. :sadnew:

Thanks for the review. :classic:

I wish I could've gotten this set when it was on sale for around $6.

There's lots of cheese slopes, and some cool designs, too.

By the way, the set costs $12.99 when it was released, not $10. :wink:

I voted above average, since each car nowadays costs $5.

Edited by ILikePi