50 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set

• 1 - Definately gives me the crabs
    • 2 - Better served with lots of butter
    • 3 - Average Atlantis
    • 4 - I could like Monster Crab
    • 5 - Crab'o'licious!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Continuing my aquatic expedition, this evening I will be reviewing one of the smaller Atlantis sets, 8056 Monster Crab Clash.

4116544616_5e04628d06_o.jpg

Theme: Atlantis

Year Released: 2009/2010

Pieces: 68

Minifigs: 1

Price: $6.99 (USD) purchased from Toys R Us

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the Atlantis theme is the boxart. Take a look at the back of the box:

4115775371_8704351455_o.jpg

Our favorite clone Atlantis diver Bob, makes his way into this set as well. Same torso and face from 8060 Typhoon Turbo Sub:

4116544660_5a8e99b774_o.jpg

Good ol' Bob has the turnable face with his expression of wetting his pants after seeing the Monster Crab:

4115775433_0c0ff95441_o.jpg

This set includes the first amulet with image of the crab, as well as a harpoon and fins for Diver Bob:

4115775455_2e22e7ee63_o.jpg

Stickers! (run and hide Diver Bob, they'll never stay on the crab under water!)

4116544884_76009d0560_o.jpg

So let's take a look at this Monster Crab:

4115775483_c8de10fef4_o.jpg

It definately has a big bite:

4116544782_2d471254b2_o.jpg

And six bendable legs with new ferocious claws:

4116544812_e5030dd200_o.jpg

The claws are certianly large, with two the length of the harpoon gun:

4115775551_5082520f9a_o.jpg

Poor Bob is trapped in the crab's mighty jaws. Will he ever escape from Atlantis?

4115775537_009d99ea45_o.jpg

And lastly, an image of our Monster Crab from the instructions:

4116544924_6b1257775b_o.jpg

Thoughts of 8056

Monster Crab Clash (although I want to say Crunch) is a nice little set that makes a great "stocking stuffer" and introductory set to the Atlantis theme. A little pricey at TRU, I would value this set at no more than $5 (USD). It does; however, provide a few nice pieces, especially the large claws and orange fangs. Equally nice is the #1 amulet with picture of crab, and Diver Bob minifig. I love the new divers with their yellow-green faceplates and lime green arms and fins (making a nice diver suit). The set is fun and certainly a nice addition to any aquatic scene.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Thanks for the review TheBrickster!

I agree with you that this does seem more like a parts pack than an actual set - you get lots of new black horn/barbs, small orange barbs, and Atlantis minifig, and one of those collectible keys!

I hope to get this, but with all of the great new themes and sets coming out next year, I'll have to wait for a while before making my "buy" list.

I rate it 4. This is one of the few Atlantis sets I'm going to buy. Still, 7771 Angler ambush had printed eyes and no stickers.

Pinch me, I'm dreaming!

The only fault this set has was the sticker factor. I love the patterns so much, that I don't hesitate slapping them on though.

Thanks for Reviewing the Atlantis sets Brickster :thumbup: I like the look of this little set, what with its useable hinge pieces and new larger teeth pieces. I could see myself getting this, as for multiples, I am not sure. :classic:

I could like Monster Crab :grin:

Thanks for another fantastic review TheBrickster. As always your pictures are crisp and precise. I quite like this little set and it seems to have some good value but ultimately is a pass for me simply for budgetary reasons. However it still is a great addition to the Atlantis theme in my opinion.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Nice picture review, these Atlantis sets are really great, so much diversity in the pieces, and those new helmets are just great. Thanks for the pics! I checked my Toys R Us and there is still nothing to be found :sad:

Great review (as always :grin:), ThrBrickster! Superb photography. As has been said, this looks to be a nice parts pack, and an all round fun little set. A part of me keeps asking how I can use the diver's suit as some sort of hazmat gear in a post-Apoc MOC. :grin: Thanks for reviewing this for us. :thumbup:

This is a really cool set, but it suffers from sticker dependancy :sceptic: I like the legs the best, with the claws of DOOM! :thumbup:

Nice review! I agree, it's a nice small set and I love the new amulet pieces, but it should be just a tad cheaper. Also, stickers! Ahh, i hate stickers, but still, a great set with new useful pieces!

Edited by NicksBricks

Great Review TheBrickster! :thumbup:

This set is nice and small and the fig looks really cool! :wub:

Those amulet's are kinda odd, but will probably make kids want to buy the whole theme. :laugh:

Great job!

CommanderFox

1 - Definately gives me the crabs

Uh... I think you're using it wrong...

Steve