In American culture it's a faux pas to ask somebody how much they make, but this is EURObricks, so I figure it's fair game.

For those of you selling PDF instructions of Technic models (and only Technic models because I don't build with any other systems) about how much money are you making from it? Is preventing piracy difficult? Have you all considered selling the instructions as a "book" through an online retailer (to help prevent piracy) or is it cheaper to just sell them yourself, keep all the profits and take the hit on piracy when it happens?

For the record I've only spent about $35 on online instructions and I haven't even built the models of the instructions I purchased (despite having the parts). I will eventually. I was more interested in the content of the instructions than actually building the model though. I'm also wondering how big the market is. Have any of you sold the instructions AND all the parts to build the model as a "kit"?

The reason I ask this is because I might pursue this as a side gig in the winters. I coach triathletes for a living and summers are extremely busy, but winters are extremely slow. I'm also about to have a kid (in November) and I'm looking for more work that I can do from home to fill in the slow season. Even if I did nothing, I still have enough money, so don't worry. I've been building with lego my whole life and I know I have enough talent to make things that most people can't, and I have the ability to master lego CAD software (I used to be amazing at building stuff in AutoCAD). A few years ago I made a thread about a big crane I was planning to build. I STILL PLAN TO BUILD IT, but the past 2.5 years have been spent acquiring even more legos (I sorted legos in exchange for legos) and working on my coaching business.

So what I'm most curious to know is what was your most profitable instructions ever sold, and which instructions have sold the MOST (even if they were cheaper and didn't result in the most profit).

Lastly, let's say you build something really awesome and you throw it up on your popular youtube channel. Let's say you have ~ 30 people asking you "wow, that's cool, can you build me one? How much?" Have you ever followed up with those people? Once you tell them the actual price it would cost to procure all the parts, assemble it, ship it, and make a margin on it, are they never heard from again, or have you followed through with a sale?

Hello,

in Europe it is also not elegant to ask this question, and probably most people will not answer it.

Eurobricks is a place for people who build Lego as hobby, so I would be surprised if You will get a (for yourself) rewarding answer. I do believe, that it is not a viable business plan to build Technic models or making instructions for making (serious) money or for living.

You need to consider, that Lego is still luxury goods for a most people, and beside that, most mature people do look at Lego as children toy. AFOLs are also shared out according to interest, and honestly Technic is not the most popular theme. So the target circle is quite tiny.

I personally don't sell instructions, I believe in shared knowledge/fun - as it goes about a rather small community, and let's not be hypocrite, it goes about pride as well. :blush: I noticed this attitude at most of us, and there are among us big players with top quality MOCs. I love to come here because of that, and I hope that Eurobricks remains the forum of fun.

Still, since I made step-by-step instructions once, I understand and accept why people ask little money for time consuming PDF instructions.

Probably this topic will be moved to other section soon, and also Your opinion will change as Your baby will born... time will fly by in a minute, enjoy all the seconds! :wink:

I agree that it's not a very strong business plan. There are a few professional builders here too (like Edwin Korstanje) who are able to make a living from their hobby, but for them it always started as a hobby and they prove their skills and they had a strong portfolio before (and probably the specific theme they have chosen also matter a lot).

With outstanding skills and/or a good theme, maybe...

EDIT:

And remember, you would also be competing with builders like KevinMoo and Madoca for example who are designing top quality MOCs and top quality instructions (KevinMoo is just awesome. Lego should make instructions like him) offered for free.

BTW, I think it's perfectly okay to ask about these things (how much money you make, etc), because it's a business decision after all and obviously a major parameter is money. Companies made this a faux pas because obviously their interest is to pay as few as the employee tolerates, and the tolerance level is very different for various people, so they have contracts to avoid talking. This leaked into the society too (since with a contract stating that you cannot speak about your salary, any question about your salary becomes uncomfortable thus impolite).

Edited by Lipko

Lastly, let's say you build something really awesome and you throw it up on your popular youtube channel. Let's say you have ~ 30 people asking you "wow, that's cool, can you build me one? How much?" Have you ever followed up with those people?

I can tell from experience that on average people will offer $50 for a MOC that cost in the area of $1,000 to make. And I mean for the actual MOC, not for the instructions. But then maybe I've just never made something awesome. Also, some people will call you a d*** for not providing the instructions right away.

I don't know how well paid instructions sell, but I've seen what people do with them. That is:

- resell them at higher price (also happens to free instructions)

- pirate them

- claim the models they've built with them are their own

- submit these models to building contests as their own

A good quality instruction can take weeks to make depending on the size of the model, even if you have mastered your CAD skills (and most of the time, the bottleneck is not the software). That's 500-1000 euros salary in a cheap-labor EU country. That means you are to sell 50-100 instructions to compensate the work time. Maybe Sheepo achieved it with one of his models... Only he can tell.

Maybe you are a programmer and can come up with a way to fully automate proper instruction generation, but achieving that is not a winter holiday work.

Edited by Lipko

I don't think it will get you much money.

It's more a service that builders offer the fans.

If you take a look at how much time it takes to build, improve and make instructions without flaws, you have to sell a whole lot of them to pay for your time.

TLG sells thousands off sets to make each set profitable.

...But then maybe I've just never made something awesome...

Are you kidding? Everything you make is awesome!

I can tell from experience that on average people will offer $50 for a MOC that cost in the area of $1,000 to make. And I mean for the actual MOC, not for the instructions. But then maybe I've just never made something awesome. Also, some people will call you a d*** for not providing the instructions right away.

I don't know how well paid instructions sell, but I've seen what people do with them. That is:

- pirate them

- submit these models to building contests as their own

True. I never make instructions but still I get countless mails with one phrase only:

"Hello - Send me instructions to this mailadress ..... "

There are many that simply not appreciate the many hours that go into a good moc, and the concept that you should just give your instructions away for free I never understood.

However I know a very few that make fair money from this. But that is only a handful, and you need to offer very good models and instructions.

You would have to invest many hours in every moc/instruction to make a fair salary from this. And its not only time, but definitly also talent that sells.

Edited by Bricksonwheels

BTW, I think it's perfectly okay to ask about these things (how much money you make, etc), because it's a business decision after all and obviously a major parameter is money. Companies made this a faux pas because obviously their interest is to pay as few as the employee tolerates, and the tolerance level is very different for various people, so they have contracts to avoid talking. This leaked into the society too (since with a contract stating that you cannot speak about your salary, any question about your salary becomes uncomfortable thus impolite).

Well, yes an no.

Right for the business decision point of view. The question itself can be rather unpolite/arrogant (creating social and moral stress) - yes, since people like to compare themselves, try to measure the own success, show the own greatness and power through it, and the common measurement became: money. :sceptic:

So maybe it is ok to formulate like this: right question for business/companies, but questionable for individuals.

Technic Builder don't take this too serious, it is more to do with sociology, than with your simple question. :classic: Sorry for being bit off-topic.

edit:

maybe for mapping such business is it a good idea to follow-up some MOCs in terms of

-views on YouTube

-likes on Rebrickable

-popularity on Lego Ideas

-etc., internet helps a lot.

Edited by agrof

So maybe it is ok to formulate like this: right question for business/companies, but questionable for individuals.

I meant this. If I want to switch careers, want to apply to a company, I have to ask these questions.

Trying to compare yourself with your talking partner is bad in most ways anyway.

Sorry for the off.

The OP needs to know how much money some specific builders make. Maybe he should have just ask them in PM.

Edited by Lipko

I think a potential problem with selling instructions is that you are kind of responsible for all you have sold. If there are errors in the parts list people will be angry, error in instructions, etc and a lot of people probably think they deserve 24/7 help desk because they paid 20 euro for instructions. I just think there will be a lot of extra unpaid work around it, and it seems like selling BI also is some kind of magnet attracting a lot of rude people.

My negative input...

On the other hand it must be a great boost to see photos from happy people who built one's design.

Why don't you start with creating building instructions for one of your MOCs. This will probably take you a couple of weeks. After that you can sell them and see what happens. If there's enough interest, you can make instructions for a second MOC. If not, you know you need another winter plan.

I am not a Technic Builder. My stuff is rather related to Star Wars and Architecture.

From my experience :

Regarding the instructions :

If you sell instruction, it has to be a professional work. Forget low quality instruction, or instruction made with photos, etc. You must provide top quality.

You can make some money by selling instructions, but certainely not enough to make a living.

Regarding real models :

Sometime people want the model delivered as a kit, sometimes they want it delivered already built. In any case, if you design the right model (Lego skills) and sell it well to the right client (business skills, and the need to develop a profesionnal network), I think it is easy to make enough money from it to live.

Note that the right model essentially means the models other people can not do. In any field, when you are one of a kind to do something, it is not so hard to make money.

That is:

- pirate them

True. And so, it requires a permanent surveillance on the Internet, which is tedious and boring.

I think a potential problem with selling instructions is that you are kind of responsible for all you have sold. If there are errors in the parts list people will be angry, error in instructions, etc and a lot of people probably think they deserve 24/7 help desk because they paid 20 euro for instructions. I just think there will be a lot of extra unpaid work around it, and it seems like selling BI also is some kind of magnet attracting a lot of rude people.

True, but... in fact it doesn't work like that.

When you provide a service and ask money for it, having mistakes is not an option. As I said, if you want to be successful, it has to be a professional and reliable work.

Why don't you start with creating building instructions for one of your MOCs. This will probably take you a couple of weeks. After that you can sell them and see what happens. If there's enough interest, you can make instructions for a second MOC.

Exactly !

Try yourself, and you will figure out yourself if it is worth the effort or not. ;)

Sometimes you can make more money by selling cheaper, take photoshop for instance, loads of people would buy it if it were the same price as a game but because its so expensive students and everyone else pirates it instead. being too greedy will net you less profit.

Its has to be a fair price for what's on offer, to appeal to more people you can make stuff from an existing set or a combination of sets, one fine example is Nathanael Kuipers 42000 Street Rod made from one set (42000) http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84635

Being a very frequent blogger here, maybe Ingmar Spijkhoven will answer your questions the best way. He is the guy who sells the most instructions at www.mocplans.com , the most known website providing such kind of portfolio (the site is still very poor IMO). I don´t know if he is professional, but strongly guess he´s not.

You won´t get much motivation from "average builders" who will bomb your email account with "instruktions plz!!", willing to pay a 1.000 EUR on parts, but no way they will afford 15-20 bucks for instructions! Then among some other group of people you are already guilty only because asking money - isn´it a hobby? Such kind of mentality will challenge your motivation about asking money for offering a piece of your intellectual property, not to mention countless hours of work which have nothing to do with having fun. Also the market isn´t as promising as it seems to be for various reasons mentioned before, but who knows where it goes in the next 10 years. It needs a lot of pioneer work from people like you, good networking, better distribution platforms and service for sellers and working protection from piracy - alltogether. If you are thinking about making your living from this business and lift it to the next level - keep the creative spirit and try it! Good luck!

considering (my best guess) that 90% of bricklink stores don't make a profit - selling *real bricks* (most are just to support the hobby/addiction)...

what chance does anyone have to make any form of decent *profit* from instructions...

I'm now in process of making instructions for two of my Star Wars models (so maybe I'm off topic, but really I think that the theme doesn't make big difference in the perspective of your question) and given that:

• I had to learn the software (LDRaw, LPub)
  • I had to disassemble and re-assemble the models many (many!!) times to find the acceptable and logical ('lego-like') building sequence
  • I had to alter the design to avoid possible flaws AND some very rare elements which would discourage people from building

I can honestly tell you that this is a community contribution, not a business by far. And that is even if I consider arking few dollars for the instructions (probably using Anio scheme - give $5 or more if you like). I'd have to have sold hundreds of copies to get full compensation for my time spent over this (which was mostly not very entertaining) and that is I think very hardly to happen.

True, if I now make another model, it would probably be less pain to make the instructions, still enough work though.

The main problem which I think makes this very insecure business is the shallow market. You basically only target hardcore AFOLs who are used to BrickLink parts and don't hesitate to spend decent money and time onto it. And although I'm just guessing, I feel that there aren't that many to make a solid customer base.

I wish you good luck @Technic Builder. :laugh:

And for advice, read all the comments very carefully :wink:

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

I don't have any insight in how many instructions of an average creation are sold. However, I'm sure not enough live from. At most it's a nice extra little income to finance something (e.g. to buy new Lego).

But, when you compare the amount of money you get with the amount of time it takes to create (good, high quality) building instructions. The amount of money you earn 'per hour' is really low (unless you magically sell a lot of instructions of course :wink: ). Especially if you're a bit of a perfectionist (like me).

I regularly work on (Technic) instructions. Not my MOCs though, always someone else's creation.

I always leave it to the builder to decide if he/she wants to ask money for the instructions or not. I'll make the instructions anyway, because I enjoy doing that. And I think that's really important. It takes a heck load of time and patience to create good instructions (especially for Technic models!). If you don't enjoy creating the instructions, you're probably better of finding something else to earn a little extra :sweet:

This question has been asked on numerous occasions. The answer is always a resounding "making MOC plans will not make you much money."

Lego building, even MOCing and making plans, is still very much a hobby. I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. You have to consider one thing, that the original product, Lego itself, is already very pricy. Actually for many people, in and of itself, it is intolerably pricy. And if one were to produce a model that is so super cool that people are willing to dole out dough for instructions, I mean the amount that would be of sustenance, think of what would happen to BL prices for the pieces. Not saying that Sheepo's mustang is that kind of model, but..... one could argue that it is nearly "that kind of model" - because look at the prices of a simple #3 connector in red. Yes.... it is limited but limited quantities standing alone doesn't mean much. When his mustang came out prices escalated incredibly quickly. I have heard Blakbird say it before and I agree with him, that Sheepo's mustang almost single-handedly is responsible for the ridiculous prices on this piece. You build a model that is in such high demand that people are willing to pay high prices for instructions then the pieces will follow. AFOLs only have so much money........ they can't pay for it all. There still is very much a concern about Lego prices. Check out the thread for the Porsche. One will argue that the lack of technics lead to it being deemed only slightly better than an average set by members on this site..... but reading the thread one will quickly realize .... the price was the main reason.

Last thing I will mention... and I have said this before. I can't remember the thread or when (and not going to research it), but it was relatively recent... was someone had mentioned as a defense to a stance on some issue, or even complained, that Blackbird charges for instructions/renders. Number one, he does not.... I think there is an icon on his Technopedia page for donations. Very, very different things. In addition, there is a very large difference between charging money for instructions to make money versus charging simply to recoup some of the costs associated with building the models in the first place. To reiterate: these are very different issues here. I would be interested to hear from Crowkillers and others (many have already chimed in) -- But my guess is they all charge because of the latter..... not the former.

Edited by nerdsforprez

I can't remember the thread or when (and not going to research it), but it was relatively recent... was someone had mentioned as a defense to a stance on some issue, or even complained, that Blackbird charges for instructions/renders. Number one, he does not....

If you're referring to my comment, it wasn't meant in any negative way. Who had a problem with that if/if not? Maybe only the guy who asked for discount, how can he understand.. I would never complain about Blakbird because he has helped me a lot. I can only say from my experience that all participants such as designer, plan builder, website operator earn and have to earn something from sales, it's only fair. He doesn't charge for his awesome renders as far as I know, thanks a lot to him!

If my memory can't serve, or if I don't want to do the work to find it, then perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it. --- I did not remember the context, etc.... only the tid-bit that I shared. I didn't mean it as a negative. I didn't have a problem with it.... and I don't think there was anyone that did. I was just pointing out the distinction. 'Complain' probably was the wrong word.

I completely agree with you. Designer, plan builder...etc. all should earn something. I have bought plans from several builders out there and have been very happy to do so.

First question you need to ask yourself: "Is my model representing a specific real life object which is registered or something from an IP?" If the answer is: "Yes", then you are officially not allowed to commercialize (read: sell) instructions or kits or whatever, without a license agreement with the holder of the rights. So actually what quite a few talented builders on here are doing, selling instructions for models like Land Rovers, Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lamboghini's, Koenigsegg's, McLaren's, Scania's, Volvo/ Liebherr construction equipment, Star Wars, etc, basically using any brand name and without having a license agreement with the brand, are illegal practices.They could be sued for it, because they are profiting/ benefiting from a company's property, popularity and brand name.

So if you want to sell or commercialize your model make sure that it is differentiated enough and do not use or refer to a name that is registered. Then the next thing you have to figure out for yourself is if making and commercializing your work is worth the effort. Yes, you could make some money, so perhaps to keep the hobby self sustainable, but it also takes a lot of extra time, so making a living out of it is only for a select few. (And then the question is if it's still fun as a hobby, or if it becomes work...)

Edited by NKubate

then you are officially not allowed to commercialize (read: sell) instructions or kits or whatever, without a license agreement with the holder of the rights. So actually what people like Sheepo, Anio, PvdB and are doing is illegal practices (as far as I know they do not hold a license agreement), and they could be sued for it, because they are profiting from someone else's property.

I am total agree with you NKubate and the most builders that selling instructions ore sets of real cars, trucks, ships and other models haved fortunate they are not sued for it already. :wink:

Maybe i am in the lucky posistion that i only work for the direct license holders :blush:

Edited by Edwin Korstanje