Sign in to follow this  
bloodnok

Napoleonic Christmas cake

I'm not sure where to put this or, even remotely, what the etiquette is here; but I thought some of you might like our completely historically accurate (er) Christmas cake:

http://www.chiark.gr...erell/pix/cake/

sPC207902.JPG

The inobvious features that come to mind are that Napoleon has hobbit legs (yes, I know, he was not actually short) and that I looked up the correct position to shoot a horse. Sadly, even after we bought a bigger cake tin, there was not room to fit a limber to the gun carriage.

That's possibly the most graphic cake I've ever seen, but it captures the mood of the Napoleonic campaigns quite well. Pity the soul tasked with cleaning all the parts - although most of it could be licked clean, eh? Unique and creative concept.

I think your creation (50% lego, 50% cake) fits in well here.

A bit of dark a topic to put on a cake .. but well done!

I took the liberty to include one of the pics directly in the post.

That's possibly the most graphic cake I've ever seen, but it captures the mood of the Napoleonic campaigns quite well. Pity the soul tasked with cleaning all the parts - although most of it could be licked clean, eh? Unique and creative concept.

That is exactly how we cleaned the parts. :-)

Oh, I forgot; we coloured marzipan, and the edge of the cake has three stripes, white/blue/red, forming the then (and now) Russian flag. On top of the cake it's brown for frozen mud, but the icing glooped a bit after I made foot and hoofprints in it, so you can't see as much of that as I might like. I was pleasantly surprised to find there are Lego skeletal horses; we piled icing over the middle to hide the inconvenient void intended for a skeletal rider.

It is an odd subject for a Christmas cake, but most of ours are. I'm not sure Clare has yet warmed to my suggestion of Stalingrad in 6mm minatures. We did Lego Space a few years ago, but it wasn't as exciting.

Thanks for taking said liberty, Captain Braunsfeld. I should really have done it myself.