Sign in to follow this  
SlyOwl

Back at the barricade

indexed.gif

Dawn at the barricades in Paris, June 1832 - the final attack. Gavroche and Éponine have already fallen during the preceding night, and Le Amis D'ABC are now outmanned and outgunned in their fatal struggle for democracy - Enjolras, Courfeyrac, Feuilly, Grantaire...

I'd highly recommend this video - not so much for literatural accuracy, but for the sheer emotion of it.

1299700079m_DISPLAY.jpg

1299700056m_DISPLAY.jpg

1299700062m_DISPLAY.jpg

1299700070m_DISPLAY.jpg

1299700089m_DISPLAY.jpg

I plan on doing a more detailed and larger Les Mis barricade MOC at some point over the summer; but time is limited for the MOCathalon! Any suggestions/ideas would be much appreciated!

:classic:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed!

I like the way the roofs are done, great idea with the fins. :thumbup:

The barricade looks very nice and detailed, also good job with them.

The general athmosphere is conveyed incredibly, I'd love to see more.

Unfortunetly I can't see the vid. :hmpf_bad:

Excellent creation 'Sly Owl', those guy's look happy enough to well let's say off with the king's head ! :devil:

Fantastic idea.......Viva La Revolution ! :grin:

Keep on beheading ! :devil:

OMG :oh3:

Flippers for a roof. :sweet:

Fantastic idea.

Also the Baricade (do i detect a duplo fence in there) and fire effect.

and the use of Blue Soldiers :laugh:

and the lamp post and awersome cobblestones.

Everything is soo good.

Just one question, why is the dead guy on the barricade smiling.

Fantastic Moc

That is great, I have just sent the link to this thread to my brother who is currently appearing in Les Miserables in Londons West End!

D

Fantastic MOC from my favorite broadway play! Very nice details and great story that is still being played today (literally in the middle east)

I also like your brick built cannon.

This is another masterpiece SlyOwl! Les Mis is one of my most favorite plays of all-time and you've really captured this Last Stand at the Barricade scene very well. The details are simply outstanding (roof, rubbled ground, wooden barricade) and the whole build is really a great representation of this classic play. Excellent work as always! :thumbup:

I saw this play when I was a small boy, so I don't remember much of it. But I certainly remember this part, and great job of conveying the scene. :classic: I love your technique for the road, looks amazing!

I have never seen a perfomance of Le Mis but this is a great MOC. I love the barricade and the houses are cool. Nice!

Edited by Scorpiox

Your always making up new techniques SlyOwl, your always creative.

The best part of this MOC has to be the flippers as roof tiles. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Thanks for sharing :classic:

I love the emotion you were able to portray and damn that is a lot of black flippers.

Fantastic work, I haven't sign a MOC from you in a while and this was a fair treat.

Excellent work mate! Ive been meaning to see this and I should have really as it was always plastered all round London. Love the top floor windows and your great flipper roof technique, but its the barricade that is really done so well. It has a great cluttered look to it, full of bits and bobs, very nice.

Thanks guys - this MOC was quite emotional for me (as it were!), so it's good to hear you like it :thumbup:

Unfortunetly I can't see the vid. :hmpf_bad:

Mmmm, I recall there's some sort of copyright issue with the music in Germany which prevents the videos being playable there.

Just one question, why is the dead guy on the barricade smiling.

Well, technically he should be Enjolras, but his identity in this is actually a bit blurred (as Enjolras could be the guy with the flag - I took quite a lot of liberties with this!) - and I wanted to convey the youthful heroism of the uprising, coupled with the tragedy of it. A screaming face didn't quite fit, nor did a grimace - I let them die as they lived.

That is great, I have just sent the link to this thread to my brother who is currently appearing in Les Miserables in Londons West End!

Awesome! :classic: Who's he playing? I'm planning on seeing it again in the summer maybe.

Did you recently watch the 25th anniversary concert?

I saw the production at the Barbican (which is just down the road from me, literally) - but missed the concert itself at the 02, unfortunately.

The best part of this MOC has to be the flippers as roof tiles. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Really? You must have seen it before... I felt a bit bad about rolling out the same technique again, just to score the points in the contest...

Ive been meaning to see this and I should have really as it was always plastered all round London. Love the top floor windows and your great flipper roof technique, but its the barricade that is really done so well. It has a great cluttered look to it, full of bits and bobs, very nice.

It's seriously worth seeing. I think it's a bit on the pricey side (minimum of £20ish) - but it's really powerful stuff. And a great source of inspiration - various little things in all my MOCs have been inspired by Les Mis - familiar? :laugh:

Just saw this musical in February! You did an incredible job portraying the accuracy of the scene and the cluttered look of the barricade is awe-inspiring! :wub:

Wonderful moc! Roofs are awesome and really realistic...

How did you make flames? :sweet::thumbup:

Awesome! :classic: Who's he playing? I'm planning on seeing it again in the summer maybe.

He plays Grantaire mainly but regularly understudies Enjolras.

I've not heard back from him so I don't know if he has looked at your MOC yet, I'll ask him over the weekend

D

Really? You must have seen it before... I felt a bit bad about rolling out the same technique again, just to score the points in the contest...

I might have seen it before but I don't remember. What was the last MOC you used it on?

Edited by Ratshot

OMG This is so amazing *oh2*

Flippers as roof tiles ? You gootta be kidding me !!

This is so fantastic ! So great ! So cool !

I just love the Barricade, and the houses next to it are so fantastic !

The Minifigures are great too and you place them really well !

I don't know If that was intentional but you made the MOC in a cicrle. Just like the Round Plate like in the Musical, right ?

Anyways, I just LOVE :wub: this moc !

You've done a perfect job !

Congratulations !

Having studied the play before, it was interesting to see the scene immobilised in Lego. The detail all over is astounding especially on the buildings. :classic:

Is the barricade just piled up boxes,gates,chests... or are each of the barricade parts connected?

Yours

Eskallon

Thanks again all!

Dazmundo, that sounds amazing - two of the best characters (or parts) right there!

I might have seen it before but I don't remember. What was the last MOC you used it on?

Hmmm... looking back through my Flickr, it seems I haven't actually used it as much as I thought - this was the latest one. I guess it's that it's so familiar to me that I think everyone knows it! :laugh:

I don't know If that was intentional but you made the MOC in a cicrle. Just like the Round Plate like in the Musical, right ?

It wasn't intentional, but now that you mention it, I see what you mean... might have to think about incorporating that more thoroughly next time.

Is the barricade just piled up boxes,gates,chests... or are each of the barricade parts connected?

For the most part, they are actually connected - there's a mish-mash of clips and hinges and whatnot behind the barricade - it's very fragile, though. When I do it again, I'll make sure it's more solid (and also has a back!)