Sign in to follow this  
Tyrant

Ideas for future sets

There is another thread, found here, on this topic but it has been several months since there was a reply so I thought it best to just start a new thread. We have new sets that we now know about so a fresh start might be better than threadomancy.

Now we know what are getting this year (barring exclusives), so what else would we like to see at some point? Some of the 2011 sets resemble some of the ideas from the other thread (though that could be purely a coincidence). So who knows, someone at TLG may read this and use some of the ideas.

Here are some of my ideas from the other thread for those who don't want to read through it:

Large Castle for the Dragon Knights -This one's kind of obvious. With the Lion guys having a large castle the other side needs one as well. I assume the Prison Tower is an indication of the general style any other structure for the Dragon Knights will follow. I imagine it will be more along the lines of the Troll Fortress. The walls closer together and being generally smaller in ground coverage, but having taller towers. I imagine it will be primarily black with brown accents to presumably represent wood. This set would serve to supply a number of Dragon Knights, possibly a king (and who knows, maybe a queen as well), and maybe some barding.

A Seaside Port/Fortress-This would be similar to the one with the Skeleton Ship. It could be more like a seaside port and focus on a couple of small buildings, a peer, and some smaller boats. Or, it could be more of a seaside fortress with a small dock. This one would have an opening for smaller boats instead of the typical front gate and feature mounted siege weapons to fight off enemy ships. If it were a larger set, it could feature a ship about the size of the Skeleton ship or a larger version of the older Sea Serpent. The other set of options are if the ships are friends or foes. If they're friends then the ships will be cargo ships and if they are foes the ships will be attack ships.

A Castle Creator set. A real one in the $50-70 range, not the small one from last year. There are a lot of ways to go with it. The first thing is, like the Creator houses, it probably won't have any figures. This will help it have a high piece count for it's cost. Beyond that, it could be just about anything that had lots of bley bricks. If it stuck primarily with bricks, there is no reason it couldn't be a small castle, a tower, a stretch of high border wall or outer castle wall, etc. I don't believe making alternate models will be difficult. It would be an excellent source of lots of bley parts. It could also be used as a place to get parts like roofing tiles that aren't easy to come by, like this one, hopefully in black or in bley for the structure itself. It would also be easy to finally release this piece in bley as well in a set like this. The set could serve as an intro to more detailed Castle building and could possibly feature limited landscaping as well.

An idea I have seen around here (though I can't find the posts) that I would support is a large tournament set. It would need a crowd stand (with a small crowd), possibly a king/queen/prince/princess looking on, a jester/entertainer or 3, and preferably at least 4 factions represented with a knight and squire along with a barded horse and shield with emblem. This would not be a cheap set obviously.

I honestly never thought we would see a line up like what we are going to see later this year so I am not sure what I want now that a lot of desires are about to be met.

A Whole day and no ones added to this???

Those you have suggested are all good, although I wouldn't buy a port set, as my knights are strictly land lock. :classic: But the castle creator idea is great and i would buy many of them.

I would like to see a peasents cottage, something nice and smallish for about 2-3 peasents to live in and one that i can buy at least 10 of.

Speaking of Peasents i would also love to see a Minfig Pack just of Peasents even if it's from china

I would also like a farmhouse for the Mill we all know where getting.

One other thing i would love to see is a return of forestmen and any forest hideaways

And I would like to see some structures that are a little different,

Maybe a toll house for all those carriages on the roads.

Or a fishermans hut.

Or bandits

Or Farmers

Or a trade wagon

Or a Gallows

Or a Stable

Or a duel set that dosen't include a siege weapon i will never use :sadnew:

or a outpost set that dosen't include a siege weapon i will never use :sadnew:

Just some ideas but for me this is the most exciting year of releases as i finally get peasents in my normal sets (80's service has returned) although MMV is still the best castle set around. :laugh:

I think that Kingdoms needs to see a third military faction. More humans, but enemies to both the Dragon and Lion knights, giving reason for LEGO to possibly put the Dragon and Lion knights on one side to defeat the new guys. And with this they could release a fortress for them, and finally a suitable siege tower that works well with the walls of the castle. This new faction shouldn't be forestmen. They should be more villainous, but tis is hard without making them orcs or something. As for the colour... gold.

A stable :thumbup: with the place for all the horses, the messengers, the couriers, the armor for the horses, all its gear and a space to be for the stable boys and soldiers, and a more fancy room for the knights.

Just cant decide if I want it for the Dragons or Lions.

A Whole day and no ones added to this???

I think everyone is still too busy drooling over or criticising the new sets.

Those you have suggested are all good, although I wouldn't buy a port set, as my knights are strictly land lock. :classic: But the castle creator idea is great and i would buy many of them.

The port set is probably just a pippe dream. I want there to be a few more Castle ships and I think that is the best shot. Something like the Troll ship is probably too big. I would prefer ships a little larger than the old Sea Serpent set. But, I can understand not wanting ships.

I would like to see a peasents cottage, something nice and smallish for about 2-3 peasents to live in and one that i can buy at least 10 of.

Speaking of Peasents i would also love to see a Minfig Pack just of Peasents even if it's from china

I would also like a farmhouse for the Mill we all know where getting.

One other thing i would love to see is a return of forestmen and any forest hideaways

And I would like to see some structures that are a little different,

Maybe a toll house for all those carriages on the roads.

Or a fishermans hut.

Or bandits

Or Farmers

Or a trade wagon

Or a Gallows

Or a Stable

Or a duel set that dosen't include a siege weapon i will never use :sadnew:

or a outpost set that dosen't include a siege weapon i will never use :sadnew:

Just some ideas but for me this is the most exciting year of releases as i finally get peasents in my normal sets (80's service has returned) although MMV is still the best castle set around. :laugh:

Some interesting ideas there. I do hope that we see more civilian sets in the future and that this isn't just a 1 time thing. I like the idea of a cottage to help round out the farm. The toll house/booth could be an interesting idea. A fortification that has the road run between two towers, along with a wagon trying to pass through. Maybe a seperate rider on a horse and a tree or two. I've been considering trying to build something like that, only it will have lots of dark bley so the fortress will sit in a valley between two rock walls and all the traffic has to pass through it.

I would love to see a large, detailed castle to replace the MMV when it is finally time for it to go. To avoid being a $300+ set, it can't be a huge castle (unless they go the unlikely route of releasing it in pieces). I think something like the Black Knight's Castle (decent sized, includes a gatehouse and a tower with tudor-style details) could be done in a more detailed fashion for $250 or less (hopefully less). The piece count would rise a great deal when the panels are replaced with bricks and I assume they wouldn't use a baseplate. On the smaller end, it could be something the size of, though not necessarily inspired by, the Black Falcon Fortress.

I do think the line could handle another faction in 2012 or 2013. This year is a slim year so my hope is that next year is a bigger year. I think the large Dragon Castle is as close to a sure bet as it gets for that. Beyond that, I see no reason that the Lions could get a little less representation to have room for someone else. My preference is for either a new Black Falcons or a new Forestmen (or their less savory counterparts the Wolfpack).

I would like to see a Tavern/Inn type set. We have that with the MMV and that might be enough. However, I wouldn't mind seeing one in the regular line.

I am shocked at our relatively siege weapon free line up for later this year. If we see more siege weapons (what am I saying, when we see more siege weapons), I would like to see a trebuchet and/or larger siege towers. A battering ram should be simple enough (though a ram's head molded piece for the head of the ram would be great). Another general idea I would like to see become reality is to see less common castle designs. We have a number of square/rectangular castles, so let's see some with round towers or rounded walls. Maybe one with walls who meet at angles other than 90 degrees. A castle with some wooden/tudor type additions to break up the stone look. A sea fortress/observation post with a high tower for watching the sea. Basically, let's see some variety.

Basically, I don't mind what we get so long as Lego still expand upon their medieval town idea started with MMV. I think both the new Mill set and the Blacksmith's Forge are great additions, but I would love to see a manor. Designed in the same vein as MMV, a manor with a knight as master would be lovely, and would really compliment the other village sets. It could have some grounds, too, so a good designer could let loose his creativity on some great garden structures.

All good ideas. Since I got into Lego Castle near the end of the 2009 I missed out on all previous Lego castle sets. Not a big deal, except the jousting sets. The Kingdom's set barely has any barded horses. =(.

Peasant minifig pack, civilian sets, dragon knight castle. All of that would be great. But what I really want is a jousting set so I can get barded horses. (4.6 each on bricklink seems too pricy for a single piece)

A seaside castle would definitely be interesting. Maybe a little fishing hut on the edge. Most of the castles just have military stuff. Would be nice to see a hybrid where its a castle with some peasants and civilian buildings inside the castle or surrounding the walls. Probably would be best suited for a 150USD creator set.

The port set is probably just a pippe dream. I want there to be a few more Castle ships and I think that is the best shot. Something like the Troll ship is probably too big. I would prefer ships a little larger than the old Sea Serpent set. But, I can understand not wanting ships.

I would like ships if i felt they had a point, for example i would like ships if we had the option of also having trade ships, so one could chase and steal from the other, and i would like a busy medevil port with lots of action going on.

but ships just to move troops around. I lose interest. :sadnew: It's just a weirdness i have with lego.

I also hate all peach minifigs, which is why im not excited about the pirates of the carribian release.

I just had a great idea, A Medevil Doctors House think about it, medic operations, amputations, plauge doctors costume.

we never look at the medical side of medevil life, could be interesting. :laugh:

I would like ships if i felt they had a point, for example i would like ships if we had the option of also having trade ships, so one could chase and steal from the other, and i would like a busy medevil port with lots of action going on.

but ships just to move troops around. I lose interest. :sadnew: It's just a weirdness i have with lego.

I'm in relative agreement. For me, the ideal set up would be a wave of naval centric sets. It will probably never happen but here is my ideal set up.

A port-Reasonable large. It would have two longish peers for ships to come up and dock. It would come with one mid sized ship. A balista or catapult either on the end of one of the docks or on the shore section. It would need a building or two on shore to represent store houses or stores. A small fishing boat with fisherman would be a nice touch. A harbormaster and a couple soldiers for the landside portion along with a few men to crew the ship.

Sea Fortress-This could go a couple different ways. One possibility is a lone fortress on an island that is implied to be guarding the port. Another is a mostly landside fortress with some overhang onto the water. I favor the former. I would picture this being primarily a tall tower sticking out of a smallish fortress on an island with a small dock and a small boat. Think a little smaller than the Black Falcon Fortress, but with a fairly tall tower to act as an observation tower. The fortress would feature a balitsa or catapult (or both) to defend the port. Maybe a pair of flags, one to signal that everything is okay and one to signal that hostile ships are approaching. A similar set up to this would also work if the fortress were meant to be a prison island.

Military Ship-This will be an attack ship/troop transport. It would feature 1 or 2 balistas on the front. I figure this one could be about the size of the Troll Warship, but with more to the ship. It should come with several archers or crossbowmen. Perhaps a knight on horseback to lead the charge once they hit the docks and spill out. If they are going to keep using wizards, I could see them putting one here to imply that is there to throw lightning and fireballs, or put more wind in the sails.

Smaller Multipurpose Ship-I'm thinking something along the lines of the Sea Serpent set. If possible, a little longer and a little wider (2-4 pegs for both). This could be sold as a treasure transport, but would easily double as a cargo ship or smaller troop transport.

Fishing Boat-This one would be the small set of the bunch. Either use the one piece boats from the Pirates line, or make a brick built one of similar size. Nothing terribly fancy. The only real question is one fisherman or two. Could be expanded into a larger set by including a seaside shack for the fisherman.

I just had a great idea, A Medevil Doctors House think about it, medic operations, amputations, plauge doctors costume.

we never look at the medical side of medevil life, could be interesting. :laugh:

That could be interesting.

How about...

Village Prison(£19.99)

A bley/dark bley tower with an entrance on the bottom floor and two floors above, both of which are other cells. Inside the bottom floor would be an office, with a chair and a desk. In the cells would be the usual things: chains, skeletons, rats, etc. It would come with two Lion knights, a male peasant and an elderly female peasant.

Market Raid(£14.99)

Some stalls with various things (books, food, clothes, etc.), a horse and cart, some treasure chests and some barrels. It would include a new female civilian, a child civilian and two Dragon knights.

Niether will come true, but there's always hope!

I'm in relative agreement. For me, the ideal set up would be a wave of naval centric sets. It will probably never happen but here is my ideal set up.

A port-

Sea Fortress-

Military Ship-

Smaller Multipurpose Ship-

Fishing Boat-

All of these would be great, if this type of designs and options were avaliable in lego I would happily buy as many as my MLB (Monthly Lego Budget) would allow.

But as it is medevil ship just don't do it for me

This would be for the Kingdoms theme;

New "faction" I use that term very loosely lol, Forestmen! Same old classic Forestmen hat, new faces, torsos and that new bow!

Peasant Hut: $19.99

Includes 1-2 small peasant homes or 1 large one. Included fence pieces that can be arranged in a modular manner :grin: to keep the farm animals safe. Notable accessories include: Brown Horse, Chickens, and maybe a new sheep mold, pitchfork, hay bales, buckets and other misc items. Also included either a nice brickbuilt tree or spruce single mold tree (would live a cypress but that is ridiculous lol) Minifigs includes 2 peasants and Forestman who could either steal farm animals or give something.

Forestmen Hideout: $49.99

Pretty much self explanatory, a nicely constructed hideout, multiple brick built trees and some single mold trees about 2-4, remake of cypress tree would have to be a new mold, possibly slightly shorter than original. 2-3 Forestmen, Lion Knights in wagon carrying misc gold/treasure or a knight.

Possibly a throwback of 6079 and 6071

Edited by Macoco

Market Raid(£14.99)

Some stalls with various things (books, food, clothes, etc.), a horse and cart, some treasure chests and some barrels. It would include a new female civilian, a child civilian and two Dragon knights.

Niether will come true, but there's always hope!

I like this idea. It would be great to go with a village set up, and there would be lots of useful pieces involved (hopefully food!).

I know that religion is controversial but I'd love to see a church released as a civilian exclusive. :classic:

Imagine; some unique architecture, a lot of stained glass, monks and maybe a few printed books and tiles! :wub:

I would also love, love, love to see a new and re-imagined wolf pack band of raiders, mercenaries and thugs. :thumbup: Alongside I hope LEGO releases a new pearl color blend, something to the effect of dark pear/rust orange to look like old worn metal, and that their weapons, helmets and shields make use of it.

I posted some of this in another thread.

I am hoping for a UCS or exclusive jousting set. Something with tents and a grandstand. Including two to four knights with barding (hopefully the silver lion barding from the dragon knights prison set) and pages serving the knights. A few civilians spectating and selling food and some royals to watch the tourny. Oh how grand that would be!

As for a civilian set. I agree a simple farmhouse or residence would be very welcome. As for a business I would prefer a bakery. A new molded piece I would love to have is a sack of some sort. Like a sack of flour or grain. We have barrels, boxes, crates, and chests but most brick built sacks don't look quite right. The bakery would come some baked goods and loaves of bread as well. A butchers shop would also be great but I know that is not very kid friendly.

I find maritime sets great, but so far TLG never really has designed a good looking Cog. I would want ships that look correct for the period and not just copies of later era ships. I would enjoy an active port with associated buildings. However, since TLG has just now started giving us civilian structures. I feel they can and will do more with the landlocked variety before they move to more naval oriented civilian buildings.

I would also kiss some booty for a tan antenna piece so we can simulate a crop like wheat growing. That would be sweet!

Yes Dazmundo they have made a tan antenna... but to fill a whole field of wheat you would need hundreds of the tan antennas. If I bought every antenna available on bricklink it would only fill a space 10 studs by 30 studs and did you look at the prices? Only 3 stores have more than 50 of this piece and the cost runs from 50 cents to a dollar a piece. That is a little rich to just make a simple crop. Some pieces are just too rare to be used in large numbers that is why I would like them to release it again and make it a bunch of them...

I like the church idea someone said a few posts before. LEGO probably won't do it because of the religious stuff involved, but it would still be a nice idea. They could do a lot of cool stuff with a church design (Perhaps some stained glass for example?)

I know that religion is controversial but I'd love to see a church released as a civilian exclusive. :classic:

TLG stated at one point that they wanted to remain conservative with all their products, nothing offensive, affiliated, or political would be included in the sets.

With that being said, they could include a building with Gothic architecture of sorts-which I'm guessing they'd be cool with.

As others have stated, and TLG has listened , civilian sets are great! :thumbup: Anything civilian based is fine by me.

I'm really hoping for a return of the forestmen faction, and non-exclusive BPs.

As others have stated, and TLG has listened , civilian sets are great! :thumbup: Anything civilian based is fine by me.

I'm really hoping for a return of the forestmen faction, and non-exclusive BPs.

Yes, this brings me to the subject of Robin Hood!

But no just Robin Hood. What do you think about the complete world of the dark middle age where King Richard and the crusaders are fighting against King saladin for Jerusalem. Where Prince John to exploits England. Where Robin Hood and the Black Knight Ivanhoe fighting for law, order and peace in several fronts.

Whoa, we would see soooo many characters and locations. Armies and peoples. Cities, fortresses, houses and castles.

Some of my favorite locations would be:

-Locksley Castle

-Torquilstone the fortress of Reginald Front-de-Boeuf

-The Tournament including civilians, aristocrats, juggler and knights

-The Dungeons of Nottingham including Mortiannas Witch-cave

-Jerusalem with awesome crusader- and saracen minifigures

-The Fortress of Dürnstein, Austria (King Richards captivity) including Leopold V and Philip II of France

- aaand don't forget "The Sherwood Forest" with some treehouses and forestmen.

I believe these complete theme would be very realistic. Because:

-the actual lion emblem does fit ideal to King Richards emblem

-the POP-theme give LEGO good possibilities for Jerusalem

-everybody like Robin Hood :sweet:

Edited by Elander

Elander I understand your desire and even share interest in this period of history. LEGO will not do historical sets from that era for the very reason they will not do a church moc. The crusades are all about religion and the killing that was done in its name. Generic forestmen raiding from the king and giving to the poor is very workable, but what you are asking is outside anything LEGO has ever done in the past.

TLG does not replicate historical castles even ones not involved with the crusades. Why? To do so with a $100.00 limit on parts would be an insult. You can barely even build an accurate keep with $100.00 worth of parts and likely designers wouldn't even be able to include minifigs. Such a product wouldn't sell very well. The best we can hope for is an expensive UCS castle that is more realistic than the current castles we recieve and geared toward AFOLs. I would desire such a product and I think LEGO would seriously consider it.

Personally I am glad LEGO will never try these type of products. Even though I would really enjoy them, it would be controversial at best and possibly catastrophic for long term sales. The long term health of the company is more important to me than a few sets I would like to see released.

Hmmm,

ok. The Crusader-theme would be to violently. You are right, I agree. I was shocked when I saw nazis including the Indiana Jones theme.

But I haven't problems concerning different religions. The killings weren't only in the name of church, it were in many names. I thinking a bit relegion would enrich some historical themes.

If:

-buddhistic temple or Shiva concerning Asia-theme

-roman, egyptian or greek gods

-Christs, Moslems or Jews

...but first have LEGO to produce a real historical theme. I can't remember that LEGO have done it.

LEGO could create a real Egyptian-theme. What we will see. A Pharaoh action-theme like Indiana Jones.

LEGO could create a real Asia-theme. What we will see. Ninja-Go action consening freaky skeletons and gaudy colours.

LEGO could create a real Roman or Greek theme. We see Atlantis including some monsters and treasures.

I think a real historical theme would be very interesting. Primarily to see if more older peoples buying these sets. Why LEGO didn't?

-------------------------------------------------

Ok, back to topic. :grin:

I missing the old modular style from the 80ties and 90ties. LEGO could create a city-wall system in two or three parts.

-City Gate

-City-wall with tower

-City-wall with catapult

In combination with the Market Place and some other city houses could everyone collecting these sets and building his own city. (As example like the exclusive city-houses: Green Grocer, Cafe Corner... But not so huge and expensive!)

I agree with you conserning UCS Castle so huge like Death Star. With many many details and well-appointed rooms. Exclusive aristocrats, knights and ladies.

No risk, no reward LEGO. :tongue:

Edited by Elander

A Sub-theme thats like a mix between Castlevania and LOTR with Gothic Castles ,ruins ,caves ,swamps ,forest ,villages and monsters.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

I am sure Lego would never do this, but something like a collectible series but theme specific.

So for a castle version, it would have minifigs like Ninja, Samurai, Various knights, Forestmen, Vikings, Peasants, and include the recent Persians and Spartans/Greeks. Maybe some of the fantasy ones too like skeletons, trolls, elves, dwarves, wizards, ghosts, zombies, etc.