Sign in to follow this  
Sire Pirol

Grunwald 1410 -2010 (WIP)

Grunwald_bitwa.jpg

Introduction

Hello everybody. This is Sire Pirol. Since the great 600th anniversary of the Battle of Grunwald (July 15, 1410)is coming up, I have decided to make a brickfilm that will recreate the battle. This topic will be dedicated for interested members to watch my work on it, and support me in it. By supporting I don't just mean cheering me on, but also providing me some useful historical information and some tips.

History

Some people might not be familiar with Grunwald. Grunwald should be more widely known for it was the largest battle in the middle ages. About 70,000 knights participated in this battle. The battle was between the Teutonic Order vs. Poland with Lithuania. The Teutonic knights also invited knights from all of Europe. This was the time when the Teutonic Knights wanted to "Christianize" the pagan Lithuanians. The Teutonic knights also claimed some Polish Lands as theirs. Lithuanians received Christianity from Poland, therefore the knights had no pretext to keep on attacking Lithuania. The Teutonic Knights declared war on Poland and Lithuania. After some hard battles, Poland gathered a massive army along with Lithuania, and that army was to take the Teutonic capital of Marienburg. The Teutonic Knights were not aware of this army until a Hungarian envoy saw the army and told the Order on a diplomatic meeting. At once, the Grand Master of the Order, Ulrich von Jungingen, took a massive army of Teutonic Knights, went out to find a defensive and strategic point to fight off the Polish Army. After a campaign the two armies finally met near a village called Grunwald. There, the largest battle in medieval era, had taken place. The Battle was about 10 hours long, and it resulted in a decisive Polish victory. The Order was totally crushed and it never came because to it's former glory.

Some Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald

The Movie from 1960:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ977-3FAMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiW3RXW6f5M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sePGXp19OoQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxq_Ohi0_s&feature=related

My Work

Here are the screenshots from my work so far:

4788776913_9f9925ecb0_m.jpg

4788776071_167d69a5b2_m.jpg

4789405014_080e1b3183_m.jpg

4877770478_bac1de7f55_m.jpg

FLICKR

Polish Soldiers sing Bogurodzica

I will try to make a brickfilm in honor of that battle. I will provide some screenshots so you guys may track my work. I will try to finish sometime next week because I will not be able to make it in time for the anniversary.

Edited by Sire Pirol

That's a good start Sire Pirol. I'm not that familiar with the Battle of Grunwald, but based on your reference pic it seems you're on the right track with your cavalry units. Just don't overlook the other details such as the backdrop which is really important in Brickfilms.

Also, I think since this is a Brickfilm WIP, it would be best if this were transferred to the Brick Flicks and Comics forum.

Edited by KielDaMan

This is actually quite nice, I'm very curious about the film you're making. However, as a purist I think you shouldn't use 'SHIFTY' chinese clone bricks. The red horse on the 3rd photo is probably the most lame example of how bad the chinese bricks can be. I can also see a couple of broken parts, such as the helmet on the 2nd pic.

Edited by Corydoras

This is actually quite nice, I'm very curious about the film you're making. However, as a purist I think you shouldn't use 'SHIFTY' chinese clone bricks. The red horse on the 3rd photo is probably the most lame example of how bad the chinese bricks can be. I can also see a couple of broken parts, such as the helmet on the 2nd pic.

I hate the shifty aswell. My parents bought me sometimes the shiftey when I was little (2 sets) thinking it was lego. I threw out the sets but I never knew the horse was a fake. I was thinking of not putting the horse in the brickfilm, because you know horses are not red. But eventually I decided to include it in the brickfilm to "increase" the cavalry, because really, I have only 6 horses excluding the red one. Thanks to you I realized it's a shifty. :o As for the broken helmet. I do not really have a lot of black helmets. The black helmets are an extreme need for the Teutonic knights. Most of my helmets are the shiny helmets from the "Fantasy Era" and dark gray from "Kingdoms" and "Crusaders." And by the way, the knight may have been hurt in a battle and his helmet crushed. That's why he might have lost an eye. ;)

Thanks for the support guys. I have also included a little status on the first post that tracks what scene I am doing right now.

There is a couple of ways you can deal with lack of bricks. If I were you, I would ask some friends if they have any LEGO they no longer play with (especially Castle) stored somwhere. Many people would gladly give away their old toys or sell them. :) It's a fairly easy and cheap way to expand your collection.

I am happy to announce that today is the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Grunwald. Unfortunately I did not manage to finish my brickfilm in time for the anniversary. I was not in a hurry because I focused on quality rather than quickly finishing. But the anniversary was one of the reasons why I started this project in the first place and put a temporary pause on other projects I was working on.

This was a trailer for the upcoming anniversary. A little treat to get into the Grunwald mood.

It even inspired me to put those kind of effects and camera movements on my brickfilm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx2LUSU9qCE&feature=related

Edited by Sire Pirol

UPDATE

Polish forces are entering battles and Lithuanian Soldiers already did what they were supposed to do. Here is the new screenshot:

4877770478_bac1de7f55_m.jpg

Edited by Sire Pirol

I know it has been quite a time since my last update. I would just like to inform to people interested in the video I have finished making the pictures a long time a go at the end of August. Since that time I have been editing it and adding audio. The movie is almost complete I it will be released this week.

I know it has been quite a time since my last update. I would just like to inform to people interested in the video I have finished making the pictures a long time a go at the end of August. Since that time I have been editing it and adding audio. The movie is almost complete I it will be released this week.

Good news! Since I'm half-Polish too, I love this subject for a brickfilm! I'm curious...!

Hey Everyone! Thankyou for the interest in this project! I am happy to announce that I have released the video today. Since I treat this topic as a ideas and discussion about the history of grunwald aswell as advice about my Grunwald project, I decided to put the final video in the Brickfilms section. The topic is located here.