Sign in to follow this  
LegoRomania

Best years of Lego sets Discussion

Hi,I created this thread to discuss about the best year of Lego sets.

For me the best years were 2007-2013.

Favorite themes and sub-themes of those years:

1.Exo-Force-I liked more the final wave from 2008

2.Power Miners

3.Atlantis

4.Space Police

5.Pirates of the Carribean

6.Cars 2

7.Ninjago(only 2011 and 2012,the next sets are horrible)

8.Mars Mission

9.Monster Fighters

10.Dino

11.Galaxy Squad

12.Bionicle(2007 and 2008 sets)

13.Hero Factory(2010 and 2011 sets)

What is your favorite year guys?

Also you can post pictures of your favorite sets from your favorite years here. :D

Edited by LegoRomania

Agreed, 2007/2008 was a great year for Lego. Sad that we have to reminisce though, 2016 has kinda been a bust :sceptic:

2009 was an excellent year. Agents, Castle, Pirates, and Indiana Jones all had great years. Power Miners was introduced (shame it only lasted two years). The Farm sub theme of City was introduced for the first time ever.

Medieval Market Village, The Grand Carousel and Tantive IV came out. Fire Brigade is, in my opinion, the best modular to date.

One of my personal favorites, the Winter Village line, started.

Star Wars had another strong showing.

10/10 year for sure.

2009 was an excellent year. Agents, Castle, Pirates, and Indiana Jones all had great years. Power Miners was introduced (shame it only lasted two years). The Farm sub theme of City was introduced for the first time ever.

Medieval Market Village, The Grand Carousel and Tantive IV came out. Fire Brigade is, in my opinion, the best modular to date.

10/10 year for sure.

Totally agree. And I missed them all :( Started collecting again in 2014 *cry*

The years 1977-1986 were of course the best years. The introduction of Technic and the minifigure and new themes like space and castle opened so many new possibilities for playing that is is hard to see which other era could be better. Only the years from 1955 on, when the System of play was introduced, can be compared.

Agreed, 2007/2008 was a great year for Lego. Sad that we have to reminisce though, 2016 has kinda been a bust :sceptic:

Let's hope 2017 will be good.

Totally agree. And I missed them all :( Started collecting again in 2014 *cry*

2007-2013 were the best years of Lego and I don't have any set of those years because in that time was my dark age.

Only in 2014 I started collecting again.:(

And this year I decided do not buy any 2016 set.Let's hope 2017 will be good.

Edited by LegoRomania

2009 had a lot of great stuff, so did 2008 and 2012... the AAT from 2009 will always hold a special place in my heart, it was the biggest set 6-year-old me had ever had.

2009 is the year I got back into Lego, so the sets I bought from that time are kinda personally special.

I would say 2013 probably had the best sets for me overall. Star Wars PT and OT sets were solid. The BTTF DeLorean was great. Finished LOTR. I would guess I probably bought more sets that year than any other year thus far.

Let's hope 2017 will be good.

2017 looks like it's going to be a step up from this year at least. The Batman Movie sets look good so far, Batman CMF series, Star Wars 8 sets, Maybe POTC 5 sets, another City People Pack, The Ninjago Movie, Nexo Knights Forest Monsters, Series 17, etc.

2017 looks like it's going to be a step up from this year at least. The Batman Movie sets look good so far, Batman CMF series, Star Wars 8 sets, Maybe POTC 5 sets, another City People Pack, The Ninjago Movie, Nexo Knights Forest Monsters, Series 17, etc.

The person that was present at SDCC said that NK villains are like a game:

fire beats wood, wood beats water, and water beats fire.So the sea monsters are coming next...

I don't think that Lego would reveal the final enemies for 2018.So sea and forest are coming next year.

Edited by LegoRomania

For me, it's 1990:

- last year of grey 12v train era

- Classic Town Monorail 6399

- introduction of M-Tron

- introduction of 9V technic motors & Control Center

The person that was present at SDCC said that NK villains are like a game:

fire beats wood, wood beats water, and water beats fire.So the sea monsters are coming next...

I don't think that Lego would reveal the final enemies for 2018.So sea and forest are coming next year.

Interesting. I haven't heard that until now, thank you. I suspect the Forest monsters will come in January/March and the Sea monsters will come in June/August.

Back on topic, I'll second 2008 being a great year. So many great releases.

10/10 year for sure.

It's hard to argue with that! There were a lot of great sets brought out that year, plus the return of the entire Pirate(s) theme. And in addition to all the fantastic stuff from that year, lots of great sets from the previous couple years were still available.

Oh gosh I could list every year as a favorite Lego year. Here is my synopsis though of favorites:

2000-2001: First start getting Lego Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Bionicle sets as a kid

2004: Great year for Bionicle, lots of fun times

2007: Just when Bionicle and Star Wars where getting a little stale, Lego introduced the Café Corner which kept me as a FOL during all of my teenage years.

2009: Some great Star Wars stuff and more modular buildings, but the real knockout punch for me that year was the Emerald Night formally introducing me to Lego Trains.

2012: The Haunted House and the Town Hall in the same year drool! Plus we got to see updates of some classic Star Wars ships such as the Tie Fighter and Y Wing

2015: The Force Awakens wave was fun, and my childhood favorite Bionicle was back.

2016: SO MANY GORGEOUS D2C SETS. I know Hoth sucked, and I am a tad disappointed by the Winter Train now that it has photos online. But the Porsche, the Bucket Loader, Big Ben, Brick Bank, and ESPECIALLY the Disney Castle have all caught my eye. Wish I had money to buy them all!

The only hard part of 2016 was the loss of Bionicle again...

And constantly reading these forums with people claiming this year quote "sucked" :|

Edited by xboxtravis7992

1978-2003 (1998-2003 because of Adventurers)

Adventurers was a great theme.I hope they will reboot the theme in one day.

1987-1990

Futuron, Blacktron, Space Police, Pirates, Forestmen, Black Knights... So many epic sets in a span of just 4 years, and I was the perfect age at the time to enjoy them :)

2009 was a good year, as many years have been since, but for me, my favourite is 2005 since that was the first year of Vikings, which is one of my all time favourite themes. It s a pity TLG discontinued it so soon, it has a lot of potential.

Personally I think nailing down an "era" of best sets is hard because for most of the past decade, sets have been gradually improving. I'd consider this year's sets better than last year's in general, and last year's better than the year before, and so on and so forth. And when I look back, even sets that seemed phenomenal at the time (and were a vast improvement on what had come before) start to seem dated. For instance, I loved Ninjago from the get-go, but the earliest Ninjago sets pale in comparison to some of the more recent sets.

Personally I think nailing down an "era" of best sets is hard because for most of the past decade, sets have been gradually improving. I'd consider this year's sets better than last year's in general, and last year's better than the year before, and so on and so forth. And when I look back, even sets that seemed phenomenal at the time (and were a vast improvement on what had come before) start to seem dated. For instance, I loved Ninjago from the get-go, but the earliest Ninjago sets pale in comparison to some of the more recent sets.

I agree.

I think that the quality of minifigures and builds is greater now, and anything from 2 decades ago will pale in comparison. However, I also think that the ideas that they were using back then were far better than what they are going on now. Forestmen is a better idea for a theme than Elves. Wolfpack is a better idea for a theme than Nexo Knights. That's where the real difference lies. If they could redo those themes with modern minifigures and builds, they would be better than anything currently offered.

1987-1990

Futuron, Blacktron, Space Police, Pirates, Forestmen, Black Knights... So many epic sets in a span of just 4 years, and I was the perfect age at the time to enjoy them :)

Same here :wink:

Most of the modern sets don't appeal to me - the printed minifigs look ugly, and most the sets look blown-up. Yes, there are some gems like the Technic Porsche 911, but they are quite rare.