Dr Kilroy

What's your first Train set?

traintech1.jpg

I'm a big Lego Trains fan, but I haven't got any Train sets... for now. :classic: I'm buying a great set - 4558 Metroliner with speed regulator - on Monday. :grin:

4558-1.1174537294.jpg

What are yours first Trains set? :classic:

My first train set I got for christmas once and I loved it. It only had a circle of track, but I spent hours watching it go around and around. My first train set was the World City 4511 High Speed Train. It was, and still is, a great train. I look foward to buying another loco to stick on the end of it to make it double ended.

My first train I bought in 1999 (about 10 years ago) Nothing compared to some of the older train

It was Railway Express 4561/4560 or the one that had track and a speed regulator

4560.0.jpg

I enjoyed watching go around the track and hearing the electronic hum of motor as it sped along :wub:

Really a cool train still, great dining car and I loved how they were watching a space film hehe

4561 here also. This set gets talked down by a lot of people for not being terribly realistic...It does have huge play value though. Automobiles, a station platform, a service vehicle, cargo--hours of fun as a stand alone set. Not to mention it turned me into a train head, which subsequently turned me into a City fan.

When I was a kid I had the classic 7722 battery train set (no longer have it though). My first train set as an AFOL was (like others in this thread) the 4561. Regardless of how good it is as a train, it IS a good parts pack (both train specific bits and general bits like the trans-blue windows)

4559. It isn't very realistic, but at the time I loved the streamlined front.

My first train set was the Train Track Snow Remover. I never really liked it because it seems really unrealistic.

I hope you soon got other train sets. The train track snow remover without other train sets is no fun.

My first train set was Road and Rail Maintenance 4546. I got it in November 1991 for my birthday. I told my parents that I wanted that set so much as a birthday present. I knew I'd be a great addition to what I was wishing for Christmas of the same year: Load and Haul Railroad 4563, Manual Level Crossing 4539, and Straight Rails 4515. And I really got what I'd been wishing! And my brother got Railroad Tractor Flatbed 4543 for Christmas. How convenient! :sweet:

My first train set was the Train Track Snow Remover. I never really liked it because it seems really unrealistic.
It's a great set, if you modify it like this:

speedometer-2.jpg_thumb.jpg

Click on pic to get a bigger one

speedometer-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

Click on pic to get a bigger one

In this way you can know how long your layout is and how fast a train can. I don't know the max.speed anymore. The battery is dead for 2 years. Still need to get a new one :tongue: .

Well I hope you get in near future trains which you are habby with.

I know most of you train heads have been building/collecting for a long time but my first (and only) train is Emerald Night! I was given this as a gift in June and through an enforced LEGO absence I only had time to build it this weekend.

I've never been a train fan before in my life - but I now realise what all the fuss is about. I got 2 boxes of the flexible plastic track (Heretic! I know... :tongue: ) and I've really enjoyed running it. The new PF with the IR kit is pretty clever and I like how it is possible to run 4 trains simultaneously with the same remote - very useful.

My local LUG (the Scottish part of Brickish) runs a lot of train displays and it's great that I've now got the kit to contribute. I suppose I need to make up for the fact that it's taken me 23 years to get my first LEGO train by building loads of MOCs in this fantastic theme!

My first train set was the 133-1 locomotive and I still have it. The yellow piston moving when you pushed the train was cool and I think there was only 2 other sets that had this. I've upgraded mine to use the old 12V motor and with some 70's wagons it makes a nice little train and it's my favorite of all the 60's and 70's locomotives.

Like many of you I wanted a train set for a long time. Even in my dark ages I never hesitated to enter a toy shop and browse through various sets. I always wanted LEGO trains but they were always to expensive and too hard to get in my country. So, after I endend my dark ages with purchase of several large technic sets, my wife found out that one her older co-workers has large lego train. I immediately wanted to buy it, but she said that it's not for sale. After some time I "unofficialy" found out that we were supposed to get this train as wedding present (we were to get married in a few weeks). But, beacuse this was "unofficial" information I could not ask what train it is, so these few weeks of uncertainty were really hard. I knew that the train was cca 10 years older so I hoped its not 4559 or 4560. I wished for 4563, but when I finally opened the package, there was 4558 Metroliner. At first I was not so happy with this, but when I began building It I realized how great train it is.

My first train was 171 to go with my 4.5V motor.

Until after my dark age, I had a simple loop of track and two points. It was still the highlight of my lego town.

I agree with vgo, 133 is a sweet little loco. It was one of the trains I've bought since my dark ages ended. 725 is my favorite though :classic:

Mine was the 7740. You can't help but get hopelessly addicted if you start off with this one.

The 7740 was also my first train set, and I have to agree that you become completely hooked once you've put that beauty together. :wub:

182-1.jpg

My first train set was #182 way back in the 70's. During my childhood I've focused on the 12 V grey area, building once a huge layout from ideabook #7777:

oldlayout1.jpg

As AFOL I got some 9V sets as well but I do not care much about collecting set, I prefer building my own trains designs these days.

Holger

In my early days I did not have any trains .... and because I have had a very long dark age, my first train set was the 7897 Passenger train.

7897-1.jpg

My first LEGO train set was the #7720 Battery Train Set which I received as a child. My parents paid $59.99 back in the mid-80's for this set. It was my only train set growing up. I recently built a 9V version of the engine which can be seen here.

7720-1.1122607782.thumb2.jpg

After my 'Dark Ages' my first AFOL train sets were #10133, #10020, and #10170.

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Edited by Cyclone Breezerider

My first train was 7810-1.jpg

I made a track around my Lego town setup when I was a child out of the old blue tracks and filled in some of the gaps with just any old bricks I could find.

Fast forward nearly 25 years and my sister has given me my nephews

7745_brickset.jpg

IMG_0004-2.jpg

I need to get it off the desk and working on a new Lego town AFOL layout at work! And you can just spot my old 7810 to the left of the picture :grin:

Edited by banditloon

Same as aawsum = did not have any trains when I was a kid and as I came back only recently I skipped 9V era.

If it counts, my first train was Airport Shuttle monorail, which was very quickly followed by RC trains.