jimmynick

Apartment Block "Blue Whale"

This is an apartment block that students live in. I walk by it frequently and had a rush of inspiration to create a model of it.

14912148569_ccf4efaf74_z.jpg

14912063819_0c6f650e3a_z.jpg

See more pictures at Flickr.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by jamesn

This needs to be built in bricks right now! And then distressed a bit - broken windows, graffiti , water stains and junked bikes in the stair wells.

Very JG Ballard. Very 'High Rise'.

15099269675_b1f2555a7b_z.jpg

Each floor has a door for a lift because I find stairs finicky and a pointless waste of space in LEGO builds. The rest of the floor is split into a studio-sized area and a 1-bedroom-apartment-sized area. You could stack these units as high as you liked, really. I chose 4.

Very nice. I'd love to see more of those modern style buildings. The color combination is very nice, as is the SNOT work on the windows.

My only concern would be the size - doesn't it look a bit small when combined with the modulars? Anyhow an inspiring building! :thumbup:

Looks great! I like the use of the panels below the windows.

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!

Looks really great! Any plans to build it in actual bricks?

Looks great. Would be good to see it come to life.

It's not really my 'style' to build things in real life, but I will be building something as soon as the parts come. Keep an eye out!

My only concern would be the size - doesn't it look a bit small when combined with the modulars? Anyhow an inspiring building! :thumbup:

This is what the building looks like next to Cafe Corner:

14919731659_0787c8fd6e_n.jpg

You're right that it doesn't tower over like an apartment building perhaps should, but I prefer a smaller kind of low-key style for modular buildings (sort of what like alex54 used to build) so you can fit lots of different styles and functions of buildings into the same or a smaller space.

Looks great! I like the use of the panels below the windows.

They're actually SNOTed tiles - like most of the things on this building!

This is amazing building! Care to share an lxf file for it?

I've attached a pared-down .lxf that contains one module each of the floor, the ground floor and the roof. If you want to build this MOC, have at it.

PS: I made this. Please don't make money off it / sell instructions / etc. but feel free to inspect the model and build it.

BW2.lxf

Edited by jamesn

No worries. I will only use it for seeing some technicnes and perhapse a construction of a model

You're right that it doesn't tower over like an apartment building perhaps should, but I prefer a smaller kind of low-key style for modular buildings (sort of what like alex54 used to build) so you can fit lots of different styles and functions of buildings into the same or a smaller space.

Many thanks for the pic. Looks indeed better than I would have thought. If you had more space you could just combine two of them to get an even more realistic look.

I really like it! My only issue is that it doesn't really work very well as a modular, with the windows being squashed up against any buildings next to it...

Would you mind if I took the .lfx and modified it so that it was now a corner building with a working elevator?

I stand by the design in that the source building has the same windows that look out on other apartment blocks, but you may redesign it into a corner building if that's what you want to do.

On 9/1/2014 at 11:04 PM, jamesn said:

I've attached a pared-down .lxf that contains one module each of the floor, the ground floor and the roof. If you want to build this MOC, have at it.

PS: I made this. Please don't make money off it / sell instructions / etc. but feel free to inspect the model and build it.

BW2.lxf

i could not open it?

I love in a similar apartment building (its even blue, too!) so I enjoy seeing this build. I would put the blind wall next to the other modulars.

In my apartment building, both end walls are blind and 6 of these buildings are linked. Modular indeed!

16 hours ago, gbaker said:

i could not open it?

The file is downloading as zero bytes, i.e. no data. It is a 4 year old thread, but just to be sure I tried to open it and got the same thing. Old files that were hosted on eurobricks have this happen all the time which is why its advisable to use bricksafe or some similar dedicated file hosting. That answer doesn't help your desire for this file which can probably only be obtained if the OP still has it, but if you're going through a lot of old threads this will be a common occurrence with unusable old LDD files that were once hosted by the forum and not off-site. 

Edited by koalayummies