Masked Builder

[MOC] Nuparu Revamped

Nuparu was my favorite Toa from the Ignika wave. Then again he was just plain cool. :laugh: Anyways, I wanted to do something special to commemorate that he had been out for five years so I built this guy! Really I just made him meatier.

img_3317.jpg

img_3318.jpg

img_3320.jpg

img_3321.jpg

img_3322.jpg

img_3324.jpg

img_3325.jpg

img_3326.jpg

img_3328.jpg

Built January 2011

Brickshelf

Flickr

Normally, I like revamps that try to use similar pieces to the original set. However, here I have some misgivings. It's hard to see where there's much genuine improvement in this MOC. The only changes that seem to have been made-- making the arms and legs more complex-- simply imbalance the original black-and-light-gray color scheme of Nuparu Inika by eliminating any large areas of light gray anywhere besides his hands and feet. Additionally, his legs and arms alike are less streamlined now. The change in the upper arms could have helped the proportions a bit, if not for the fact that you also made the lower arms longer. You did make him taller, but this just makes his armor seem ill-fitting (a problem I also had with the Toa Mahri version of Nuparu, which had the torso the same height).

Perhaps if you gave some insight into why you made the changes you did, the revamp would make more sense to me. As it is, the MOC isn't low quality by any means, but I can't say it's especially impressive compared to the original set.