Sign in to follow this  
SavaTheAggie

C&O H8 Allegheny #1602

traintech1.jpg

3596770831_95afd6a095.jpg

Full Gallery (includes work in progress photos)

Chesapeake & Ohio H8 Allegheny class (2-6-6-6) articulated steam locomotive, the tallest, widest, heaviest steam engine ever created. By herself, the H8 weighed a staggering 724,500 lbs; with her fully loaded tender she topped out at earth shaking 1,066,100 lbs. She was capable of producing up to 8,000 horsepower, the highest ever calculated on an articulated steam locomotive, greater than even Challenger and Big Boy. In fact, her massive boiler, the largest ever installed on a locomotive, was large enough for the boiler of the Big Boy to fit inside.

She was named after the mountains where she worked, pulling mile long trains of 150+ coal cars up and down the Allegheny mountains, but was also capable of pulling long troop trains at speeds up to 60 mph.

She's built in a massive 10-wide, and yet she's more than likely still in scale with most 8-wide MOCs. She's fully track compatible, capable of navigating turns and points using a floating design inspired by Benn Coifman. If you're attending Brickworld, she'll be in attendance, too.

--Tony

IMpressive and huge train, very very great job !

I'm not a train fan, but I love nice models, and this one is awesome!

:sing:

My jaw dropped! Massive size of that locomotive!! Wonderful work! Can i ask how long u took and how many motors are in there to move this giant??

REally nice!! Now, this is a real chief! :thumbup:

This is epic trainage Tony! I know you said you were going big...but geez! I'm really looking forward to seeing this (and more importantly seeing it run) at Brickworld. I hope you are contributing to the Steam Train Design Techniques talk. I'll expect some additional information on this MOC during that discussion. :classic:

See you in about 2 weeks!

-Dave

IMpressive and huge train, very very great job !

I'm not a train fan, but I love nice models, and this one is awesome!

Thanks much! The few people that have seen her in person have all commented on how she looks more like an O scale model than a LEGO MOC.

:sing:

My jaw dropped! Massive size of that locomotive!! Wonderful work! Can i ask how long u took and how many motors are in there to move this giant??

REally nice!! Now, this is a real chief! :thumbup:

Thanks much! I've been thinking of building an Allegheny for some time, but the first serious look into a design happened in mid December. However, the first real bricks didn't start coming together until mid April. I'm too lazy to do the math so I'll leave the actual counting of days to you.

She's powered by three motors, two in the tender and the third is disguised as the three wheeled trailing truck. (So if you want to get incredibly technical she's not, in fact an Allegheny but a 2-6-6-4, until I build her a non motorized trailing truck)

This is epic trainage Tony! I know you said you were going big...but geez! I'm really looking forward to seeing this (and more importantly seeing it run) at Brickworld. I hope you are contributing to the Steam Train Design Techniques talk. I'll expect some additional information on this MOC during that discussion. :classic:

See you in about 2 weeks!

-Dave

Thanks! I'm hoping there will be enough clearance somewhere for her to run, since I don't have a layout of my own. I'll be at the Steam Train Design Techniques talk, but I don't know how much I'll actually contribute. I'll certainly chime in if the subject turns to one of my MOCs.

--Tony

I'm hoping there will be enough clearance somewhere for her to run, since I don't have a layout of my own.

You know, I was wondering where you were intending it to run, seeing how it's at least ten studs wide. I know some clubs have clearance standards up to ten studs wide, but I'm always depicting your engine smashing into the rail-side structures that aren't further apart from the rail than than.

But, KA creation, Sava. Altough I think it would work better with motorised driving wheels instead of 9V-motors, but having seen parts of the frame on flickr I'm having suspicions that it'll be too difficult and unreliable to implement.