• 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Neptune carrier

A big red vacuum cleaner in the depths of Atlantis

Set #8075

Theme: Atlantis

Year Released: since December 2009 (2010 officially)

Piece Count: 493 (19 extras)

New parts : Red tile 1 x 3 (x3) and Dark bley brick 1 x 1 with stud on one side (x8)

Printed parts : minifigs legs and torsos, slope 45° 2 x 2 decorated with knobs and screens (x2)

Minifigs: 4, 3 divers and 1 manta warrior

List Price: EUR 64.99 (Amazon sells it for EUR 55.80 .. what’s wrong with Lego prices ?)

January sets are on shelves !

I planned to buy more #3177 but it was already out of stock when I returned to my toy store. As my daughters are found of sets with things that you can hang, hide, etc… I decided to come back with another Atlantis set.

The box

It’s one of the biggest. Compare it to other Atlantis theme.

8075-box1.jpg

Same size as Winter Toy Shop.

8075-box2.jpg

Already well-known front.

8075-box-front.jpg

Back displays as usual extra functions supposed to add some fun to the set : flick-fire missiles with lime round brick (4), trapdoors with tools on one side and spear guns on the other side, an aquatic scooter that I would call subbike, the car that you can park on the lower deck of the carrier. I must admit that the angle of view is great as all that you can see on this picture is what you get … and nothing more. I could stop my review here in fact.

8075-box-back2.jpg

Top shows the minifigs included

8075-box-top.jpg

That’s the kind of box I like :blush: : it’s easy to open (just cut the seals, nothing to punch with your thumbs), easy to reuse for storage and easy to flatten. :thumbup:

This is a big set. The manual is divided into 2 booklets, and use piece call-out. Of course, you get an USS (useless sticker sheet), mainly intended to decorate the crappy technic panels. 4 numbered bags that YOU SHALL NOT MIX TOGETHER, manual says (but no fine yet if you do). Some loose parts : tipper drum halves in red and a trans bright green windshield.

As usual, just shake the box before opening and you will get a real mess ! :sing:

8075-content.jpg

USS and Instructions

Stickershit

8075-stickersheet.jpg

First page with tables of the laws.

8075-booklet-first.jpg

Random page

8075-booklet-random.jpg

Last 3 pages.

Atlantis theme sets.

8075-booklet-atlantis1.jpg

Sets in action.

8075-booklet-atlantis2.jpg

For those with webcam, internet acces and time to waste and who like virtual and fashionable things.

8075-booklet-atlantis3.jpg

The last and the most interesting. The inventory. It’s mainly dark bley and red.

8075-inventory.jpg

Bag 1

Let’s open bag 1. Two smaller bags in it.

8075-bag1.jpg

The building begins with minifigs, and then the subbike, the car and ends with the black manta.

Let’s open a bracket for minifigs

8075-minifigs.jpg

This minifig is my preferred one. He looks as a tough guy, a real adventurer, not an altar boy. He looks great in his diver suit ! He’s depicted as the biker, hung on the rear of the carrier on the front picture.

8075-minifig1.jpg8075-minifig1withhelmet.jpg

This one seems to be the brain of the crew. He’s the pilot of the carrier. He’s great too.

8075-minifig2.jpg8075-minifig2withhelmet.jpg

This one is the novice, the trainee. The young one that only look for racing on the bottom of the sea.

8075-minifig3.jpg

And now, new propaganda from Copenhagen. Stop polluting the seas otherwise you will turn to this ! It does not feel in great health. TLG issued a new headgeartant wouldn’t be easy to reuse in other themes.

8075-minifig4.jpg8075-headgear1.jpg8075-headgearside.jpg

It’s made of soft stuff like rubber and can be easily bent.

8075-headgearsidebent.jpg

Manta warrior in full suit. How Schrecklich !

8075-minifigfront.jpg8075-minifigbackside.jpg8075-minifigback.jpg

In fact he is ! There are 3 divres against only one manta warrior … but only divers can be frightened.

8075-minifigback1.jpg

8075-minifigback2.jpg

Oups ! I forgot to speak about the ring. It’s green painted with gold with a manta pattern.

8075-ring.jpg

Done !

Here we are at the end of the building. 7 extra pieces on the right.

8075-bag1build.jpg

The sub bike. Very smooth and simple design

8075-bag1view1.jpg

8075-bag1view2.jpg

The car. Nice and impressive …

8075-bag1view3.jpg

… with a real car base !

8075-bag1view4.jpg

and very few pieces in fact.

8075-bag1view5.jpg

The black manta has a very classic but efficient design, with smart reuse of car pieces.

8075-bag1manta1.jpg

The belly

8075-bag1manta2.jpg

Bag 2

Two smaller bags in bag 2. Only red, black and dark bley parts to build the core of the carrier. 8075-bag2.jpg

Lime round plates are hidden behind the hinges. You may see both decorated slope on this picture. The white one above and the black one below. 3 extra pieces on the right.

8075-bag2build1.jpg

The top of the lower deck is smartly built with hinge plates. The correct angle is obtained thanks to black door rails plates.

But it’s time to open booklet 2

8075-bag2build2.jpg

Bag 3

Only one smaller bag in bag 3, (but who cares ?). Only red, black and dark bley parts to build the lower deck of the carrier. You may see these 1 x 10 curved slopes in red.

8075-bag3.jpg

And when attached to the former step …

8075-bag3build1.jpg

(5 extra pieces on the foreground)

Close-up 8075-bag3build2.jpg

It’s time to open bag 4.

8075-bag3build3.jpg

Bag 4

Two smaller (aso) … The pearl gold curved brick is hidden under the front hood … Lego is emptying some Indy stocks !

8075-bag4.jpg

and tipper drum parts

8075-bag4parts.jpg

Trapdoor made with this ugly crappy cheapplastic-looking technic panels. You’ve got tools on the left hand side. To leave them there is the better way to lose them as they are not firmly held.

8075-bag4f1.jpg

That’s not the case for spear guns on the right and side.

8075-bag4f2.jpg

At last, it does not look so bad. (4 extra pieces)

8075-bag4build.jpg

Side view

8075-view1.jpg

Front view. It reminds me of some star wars ship …

8075-viewfront.jpg

I like the design very much. That kind of big mouth with a slim nose

8075-view2.jpg

With vehicles and figs

8075-view4.jpg

New pieces

3 tiles 1 x 3, design number 63864

8075-tiledesignnb.jpg

8 bricks with stud on one side, design number 87087

8075-brickdesignnumber.jpg

Global appreciation

The carrier is well designed, not too big, not too heavy. You don’t have to be “big-handed” to take it and the building is strong enough for several take off and landing from the air. The way the large propeller is held is not the best as it tends to move round his vertical axis.

A second manta warrior would have been great for playability. TLG is a bit stingy for a set of that size. In 2010, this set will be probably found between 45 and 65 EUR. In the same time a manta warrior would be sold for 2.65 to 3.5 EUR as an impulse … It's going to be cheaper to buy parts separatly ! (Most of 8075's parts are very common

Most of pieces can be reuse. Only technic panels are a bit useless and tipper drum parts for those who don’t have a city.

Red is dead. I have so many red bricks that I don’t know how to use them. May be I should build a giant Chinese flag …

Every time I see a set with a lot of red bricks, I hesitate to order only those I lack of.

The main flaw is the price. It’s not expensive … it completely overpriced, it’s thief. For the same price, I ordered on BL 6441 Deep Reef Refuge a 12years old collector item full of exclusive parts. And it was not produce by cheap workforce at that time (8075 is made in Denmark – I wonder what and for how long – China, Hungary and Czech R). So, happy Xmas TLG, that was my donation for this year ! :laugh:

There is (still) something rotten in the Kingdom of Denmark :tongue: Just look what happen to Atlantis !

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

Thanks for the awesome review! i have to admit that this set didn't look so great from just the box shots, but after this review it certainly seems a lot better. I love the clever use of pieces, and all the little sub vehicles also included.

I very like this set,thought.A very good design,a lot of play,got pieces,etc.I want it with the squid gate to my birthsday(60+40=100!Like the price of many big sets :tongue: )

I will buy this for sure! :thumbup: First i ahd my doubts about this whole theme, but this set looks to be one of the best of the line. It looks great and of course the minifigs are outstanding, thanks for the review!

the best set of the atlantis series so far

smooth and great design

but SO expensive!

if it costs 65 euro where you live then it will be around 85 in Greece and that is not worth it..

but i so want to get this one so i will try!

thnx for the review!!

My son would like to know... is it bathtub worthy/playable?

It's 20 cm high, 15 cm large and 30 cm long so you have to put a lot of water to make it dive. Otherwise, as it's Lego, it will sink properly.

I won't try (Lego are not easy to dry) but If I were you, I'd remove black driving wheel parts and some transparent round plates that could escape during the wreck.

Please take picture if you try.

Amazing shape! And so many cool pieces in Trans Neon Green!

Thanks. I didn't remember the name for that color. In fact, there are only two pieces apart from visors : the windshield,

this one.

8075-trcolor.jpg

One question: Are the yellowish-white parts glow in the dark? They look like...

Yes it's glow in the dark opaque Bionicle spine.

The green translucent is an all new Lego color introduced with Atlantis.

I wonder why they bothered. It's so similar to trans neon yellow that I can't see it making a huge impact on any Atlantis set, if they'd just used the existing colour. I thought those green bits were trans neon yellow, early on in the rumour season.

Still, I suppose more variety in colour can't be a bad thing.

Excellent review, and very good review style, too. This isn't a set I'm that interested in - Atlantis overall doesn't really do it for me - but I certainly enjoyed getting a close look!

I wonder why they bothered. It's so similar to trans neon yellow that I can't see it making a huge impact on any Atlantis set, if they'd just used the existing colour. I thought those green bits were trans neon yellow, early on in the rumour season.

Still, I suppose more variety in colour can't be a bad thing.

Excellent review, and very good review style, too. This isn't a set I'm that interested in - Atlantis overall doesn't really do it for me - but I certainly enjoyed getting a close look!

The green looks better than yellow. This set is great. I love all the vehicles and figs in it. It is way too expensive though :sceptic:

Very interesting set, I still say it reminds me of three things - The Thunderbirds, Marine Boy and Sealab 2020 !

Thanks 'Daoudbazzar' for a great and informative review.

I bought it EUR 64.99 (Maxi Toys - Belgium-France)

Amazon sells it EUR 55.80

And Dreamland (Belgium-Netherlands) EUR 49.99.

dreamland_2009_news.jpg

It would be easy to find it around EUR 40 at the end of January ...

great review!

i kinda like this model. the model deserves credit for just looking the way it does. The sub has a completely different shape from what we used to get and they've been very creative with several parts, like the half red cylinders.

it's still difficult to see how big it is though... 500 parts for 60 euro... hmmm... sounds expensive...

A nice review daoudbazaar. :thumbup:

This set looks like another nice Atlantis set.

The figs are nice, im really liking all the new double sided faces. :wub:

The vehicals are quite nice, I like The Sub Bike the best.

The Manta is nice aswell, as you said, a good use of that car piece. :thumbup:

Thanks for the Review!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

Thanks for the review. This set isn't quite as good as I thought it was but still very well done and a good one. However I wasn't planning on getting it and this has further swayed me towards that decision, as I'm planning on spending much less money on Lego next year and this is not a priority for my Gotham project.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Awesome review!!! You should join the reviewers academy!

I'm not a huge fan of Atlantis but your review is great, and your pictures are really good!!

Thanks very much for this review, I kinda´ like the set now.

Atlantis however is like Space Police (and some other themes too) to me: I look at the pictures, I appreciate the design, I find it good that it was made and generally feel good about it.

But I never buy a lot of the sets, probably only the Impulses.

I don't get why the manta ray is brick-built when we have a really good manta mold already.

Because the brickbuilt manta looks much better, has greater colour variety, can easily be built by someone who doesn't get the set and even has a wings function.

Batbrick Away! :devil: