GRogall

New Lego Exclusive 10217 Harry Potter Diagon Alley

That is really nice looking, but I would have liked a few more shops for that price tag. :sceptic: Meh, this one will be one to miss.

Thanks for the pictures and info. :thumbup:

I think the price is perfect. Just imagine it as an uber Medieval Marketplace. 2 buildings for $100, that means each building is $50. Multiply that by 3, and you've got $150, not even counting the amazing figs.

:laugh: 93 users are vieweing this topic right now!

Edited by CallMePie

Wow what an amazing set, however I am rather concerned about that huge price tag.

But still, the best exterior buildings I have ever seen.

This is definitely the absolute best set ever! It's almost like the Castle Medieval Market Village equivalent. :wub:

I am very much looking forward to see this set in the stores next year. :sweet:

:cry_happy:

Do I need to say more? ...of course I have to. It's fantastic. More so, it's fantastically awesome. Just everything about it. What a great way of LEGO to end this theme. :thumbup:

The minifigures are great: finally we have the Weasley twins! They were the same clothes, but I'm sure their facial expressions are different. Ollivander is also a great addition and so are the newly coloured goblins. We've seen the other figures before, but you won't here me complaining. I'm looking forward to the pictures of the minifigures. I'm going to love it. :tongue:

The buildings are perfect and I like them all equally. Ollivander's Shop is so detailed, I love the colours. The interior is also nice, with the wand cases. Gringotts, the biggest of the three, looks magnificent also. I can't imagine it being done better, the design looks so good like the film counterpart and the descriptions given. I like the chandelier on the inside, as well as the paintings and the desk. Borgin and Burkes looks very much like its film counterpart with that glass roof. The colours are, again, greatly combined. The interior is a bit bare, but I don't mind and the cabinet has to be placed there. I don't see any flaws with the buildings, like no holes on the outside or anything. Just, perfect. You could just make the other buildings of Diagon Alley in the same style, put them together and you'll have a great Diagon Alley for yourself! That is what I'm going to do when I'm ready with my LEGO Hogsmeade, hopefully. These buildings even fit with the Medieval Market Village set, although they look a bit too modern to go with it, still they would fit.

The street signs, the lamp posts and little shopping stands like with the owls, or the hats (dark red wizard hat!) are also very nice. They replace the other shops a bit and that's a very nice touch. They are nice details.

As for the price, I think it's a good price for a licensed set. 2025 pieces, thats only 21 less than the Café Corner set! And it has the same price, but you get three buildings instead. And 11 minifigures! An a bunch of nice details for on the Diagon Alley street.

A few years ago I tried to make my own Wizarding Wheezes, and with the release of the 6th film I had the idea again. Seems like I'll finally work it out so it'll fit with these lovely buildings when they're out. Of all months, January. January will be a great month for me, I'm pretty certain I'll get this set in that month.

:wub: Ah, I love talking so much about LEGO Harry Potter. I just can't help it. :tongue:

Edited by Matn

Wow! 95 users are looking at this topic!

This is a really fantastic set with terrifically-detailed buildings, amazing new figs and a whole collection of other bonuses!

I can imagine this being very popular when it's released!

Wow, definitely a must get for me!

Thanks for the pics!

Edited by Condor

:oh: This is a really nice set with a great variety of parts! Moreso than the average modular, because here we have three building in different colours! Nothwistanding the fact that it's a HP set and such has the great minifigs and accessories that are the norm for HP, it's also a great parts pack for MOCers. And the price is not unexpected considering it's a licensed set and similar in size/number of parts to the Grand Emporium. Anyway, one more great 2011 set in the fight for my Lego budget! :cry_sad:

I somehow knew lego would re-release diagon alley.....but not this big!

OMG! *oh2* I have to get this!!!! But wheres Zonkos?

Yes, it's got a high price tag, and I'm a cheap bastard, but it looks totally worth it to me. As for adding other shops, this gives a great basis to MOC your own and, you never know, perhaps some future sets will include add ons like Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes and the Leaky Cauldron (I know, not "technically" Diagon Alley).

I'm glad I have a few extra months... the LEGO fund can't handle all of the current sets, let alone another $150 one just a few months from now.

These look fantastic, Some of the buildings will go perfect with the MMV default_classic.gif .

I already planned to mod the MMV into Hogsmeade...... This will look great on the display shelf alongside the rest.

Here's the Brickshelf folder. I love Fred and George! Ollivander looks very much like his film counterpart, great. Look at those signs: Wizarding Hats, Magic Animals and Cauldron Sale. There you go, three new signs for three buildings we can create ourselves!

Great parts and great colors. We even have glow in the dark pieces.

Great figures (Ollivander, Fred and George, more goblins...).

However, and I'm sorry to be a party pooper, I dislike the "Café Corner-style" building techniques, SNOT, etc. Leave them to modular buildings, thank you very much. Just my opinion.

Svelte! You new this was coming! Why are we not having a Harry Potter month to celebrate this new found artwork!

Svelte! You new this was coming! Why are we not having a Harry Potter month to celebrate this new found artwork!

I'm gonna go ahead and pull a KimT

who says there not? :wink:

Boom!!! Sold. I'll def take this before Hogwarts.

While the price may seem high it is well under the magic 10c** per piece ration that I like. That being said, it is still expensive but at least TLG has an assortment of good looking sets under a 100**.

I do think that with all of the interior details in Olivanders, Bourges and Burkes feels really sparse as far as the interior is concerned.

Great parts and great colors. We even have glow in the dark pieces.

Great figures (Ollivander, Fred and George, more goblins...).

However, and I'm sorry to be a party pooper, I dislike the "Café Corner-style" building techniques, SNOT, etc. Leave them to modular buildings, thank you very much. Just my opinion.

I think there is a difference between the advanced CC building techniques and SNOT tiling. While I love advanced techniques these really don't have much in the way of SNOT work. Almost every surface has exposed studs.

I can't wait to peek at the instructions to see how they did the leaning bank columns. One thing I must say in regard to the columns, first of all I love the ribbed surface, and second of all. Thank gods that they didn't two big-megablocks, single-piece columns like Battle of Almut. That was a hugely disappointing aspect of a set which was otherwise entertaining to build.

** I can only speak about pricing in USD.

Anyone else notice the disembodied head of Hagrid?

c_10217_detail_1_small.jpg

Edited by gotoAndLego

....... I'm left speechless. I was secretly hoping for Hogsmeade but this wipes out every doubt that could have lingered in the bowels of my mind. The only concern I have is that I hope this dark red hat really is dark red, and not light blue like in the other pic (I need Professor Vector for my Hogwarts!)

vector.gif

Edited by Euvor

While the price may seem high it is well under the magic 10c** per piece ration that I like. That being said, it is still expensive but at least TLG has an assortment of good looking sets under a 100**.

Yes... it's most definitely worth it, especially when you value the classic figures you get (not the skeletons and such).

It might be an easier pill to swallow if they released (at an average price of around $50) three separate sets... and then added Fred and George's shop, and any others they may want to along the way.

Anyone else notice the disembodied head of Hagrid?

:laugh: I did, and was wondering about it myself! I didn't get a close look though... hard to tell with the white background, I thought it just might be the hair.

EDIT: and the other hair next to it... what the heck is that all about? Whatever... awesome set.

EDIT 2: I only now looked at the HD picture with Hagrid's disembodied head... :oh: Maybe he's all dressed in white. Maybe he's got the invisibility cloak! :laugh:

EDIT 3: The picture of the BOX shows "whole" Hagrid, body and all. I need to stop posting and drool over the pictures for a while before making and rash judgments. :look:

Edited by fred67

I'm not a big Harry Potter fan, but this set looks good!

I know absolutely nothing about HP, but boy is that pretty! Could be MODded into some nice Town layout I think as well.

My thoughts exactly. The only HP I knew was my laptop. :grin: Good point on the town idea. :thumbup:

These columns... :wub:

:laugh: I did, and was wondering about it myself! I didn't get a close look though... hard to tell with the white background, I thought it just might be the hair.

EDIT: and the other hair next to it... what the heck is that all about? Whatever... awesome set.

I guess that qualifies as the disemheaded pimp hair of Mr Malfoy.

The only concern I have is that I hope this dark red hat really is dark red, and not light blue like in the other pic (I need Professor Vector for my Hogwarts!)

Just the use I'd thought of for it too! :grin:

It's so you can interchange between normal Lucius Malfoy and Death Eater. He has a hood as well as hair, see.

WOW! I am in absolutely no way a Harry Potter guy, but I must say that's an astounding set right there! If it weren't so expensive, I could certainly see myself picking one up just to implement these buildings in my town layout. I can't tell which three of the buildings I like the most!