Sign in to follow this  
ihira

So I just came back from a 15 year absence/dark age and...

This is what Lego has done to me and my wallet over 6 months.

I know this probably isn't very impressive for some of you folks but I wanted to share :)

I never thought I'd be doing this at this age (28)

Still have a couple castles I don't own yet. I'm sure you guys can easily identify them

dscn0395w.jpg

My top picks are probably King's Castle siege, and Vladek's Dark fortress. Both are amazingly awesome designs!

Edited by ihira

I'm jealous of the Flying Ninja Fortress. I got one off eBay(advertised as 100%) that didn't have the frame for the rotating wall. I am, however able to build it with that part just missing a wall.

I have the Vladek's Dark Fortress too! :laugh:

Man I used to have so much fun with it when I was much younger. Nice collection you got there :classic:

By the way, I remember a long time ago when I found a box of lego in my new house and there were minifigs from the flying ninja fortress :tongue: (rock raiders and 80-90's castle figs too)

For a moment I thought you had King Leo's Castle, it was a set I always wanted when 7 years old.

Haha! Love the sets stacked on and around the scratching post! Nice collection though. Its a slippery slope though - I used to only collect castle, now its anything Lego!

Haha! Love the sets stacked on and around the scratching post! Nice collection though. Its a slippery slope though - I used to only collect castle, now its anything Lego!

Tell me about it...I thought I would only buy castles but I've already expanded to some Technic, Xmas seasonal, and some 50% off big sets on Boxing day.

I still eventually would like 6086 Black Knights Castle and 6090 Royal Knights Castle but boy these are rare and pricey on ebay, still haven't found a decent deal. I'm not really craving 6091 King Leos and 6080 Kings unless I find it realy cheap.

Yeah, this disease spreads fast. It's almost impossible to suppress it. :tongue:

I started with Castle and Modulars/Town. Then I started into SW and it all snowballed. :wacko: That is a nice collection of castles you've got there.

This makes me smile. I went through the same thing back in 2007. The Fantasy Era Castle line brought me out of my dark age with a vengeance.

When I came out of my dark age I bought every castle set I had missed out on. Luckily for me I had already collected just about everything up until 1998. Strange enough I was able to get all of the Knights Kingdom and Viking sets for cheaper than their original prices. Those sets hadn't sold very well and were still on the primary market well after LEGO stopped making them.

The old sets and multiple copies of the Fantasy Era sets set me back $15,000 in that first year. I feel your pain financially. The good news is all of those old sets have just appreciated since then.

I wish you the best of luck picking up the rest of your desired sets. Just about every castle has some redeaming qualities and having all of them is like a time machine through LEGO history. It is so fun to build them all in sequence of their release.

Welcome to the History forum. It is great to have another castle collector here at Eurobricks!

I am extremely impressed, amazing collection there.

Though I can't quite make out what the castle left of MMV is...?

That is the Troll Mountain Fortress.

Ah yes now I see it, thanks! :classic:

ihira

That is an impressive collection for sure! I haven't seen that many castles next to each other before. Very neat to see. Black Knight's Castle is my favorite of all time. But I don't have the majority of those sets either. I love the Black Knights though.

Keep up the great collection. I can't wait to see updates with the remaining sets.

DaleDVM

$15,000 in one year on Lego???? *oh2*

My first year (this last year) out of my dark ages, I probably only spent close to $500 and I thought I was going over the top with the obsession.

Have fun collecting everyone.

@ TheLegoDr. It didn't seem like that much at the time but it just kept adding up. I did buy a bunch of classic castle figures that year off of bricklink/ebay. That was likely half of the total amount.

Ihira how bad were the prices for picking up the older sets? I know they can cost quite a bit.

Time to stop collecting and start designing your own. ;) :thumbup:

PS: Welcome back from the "undead", I mean darkages. :laugh:

$15,000 in one year on Lego???? *oh2*

Like ihira I've just come out of a fairly prolonged dark period. If I total up what I've spent on old sets in the past few months and extrapolate that out to a whole year, factor in the exchange rate and $15,000 isn't too far of the mark. I've since told myself I really must slow down, but there's this urge to accumulate as much old grey as possible before it's all gone.

The advantage of being an AFOL is that you have the money to do that sort of thing, this disadvantage of being an AFOL is the complaints for the other-half...

@ ihira - Awesome collection. Seeing all those Castles together is really impressive.

I've been into LEGO the past 3 years due to my children, specifically the SW line. My son got a couple of the larger Castle sets early on but once he started getting more SW sets his Castles got pushed off to the corner. I have to admit though there'e something about the Castle line that's just appealing to me. I'm not sure what it is. Even though 90% of the LEGO in my house is SW, I've picked up Castle sets here and there over the years. I feel like I'm looking down a cliff and I'm getting ready to fall. I kind of already regret not picking up more of the Kingdoms sets.

@ ihira - Awesome collection. Seeing all those Castles together is really impressive.

I've been into LEGO the past 3 years due to my children, specifically the SW line. My son got a couple of the larger Castle sets early on but once he started getting more SW sets his Castles got pushed off to the corner. I have to admit though there'e something about the Castle line that's just appealing to me. I'm not sure what it is. Even though 90% of the LEGO in my house is SW, I've picked up Castle sets here and there over the years. I feel like I'm looking down a cliff and I'm getting ready to fall. I kind of already regret not picking up more of the Kingdoms sets.

Will you be buying the new LOTR sets?

Ihira how bad were the prices for picking up the older sets? I know they can cost quite a bit.

I keep track of all my Lego purchases and how much I spent on them so I don't go out of control.

The discontinued old sets costs in CANADIAN $ in order of purchase. shipping included.

7097 Troll's Mountain fortress - $147 from ebay. Got caught by duty fees :(

7094 King's Castle siege - $175 from ebay. The prices of this set are quite insane on ebay, I've seen them go over $200 usual.

8877 Vladek's Dark FOrtress - Brand new $133 from ebay.

6093 Flying Ninja Fortress - $110 from ebay. This one is rare and it was a buy it now auction so I jumped on it.

6082 Fire Breathing Forress - $59 from ebay.

8781 Castle of Morcia - $85 from ebay. Very good deal for a discontinued Castle!

6085 Black Monarch's Castle - $94 from ebay.

10176 Royal Knight's Castle - $134 from bricklink.

I already owned 6081 Kings Mountain Fortress from a kid and MMV and 7046 Kingdoms Castle I bought during sales from the US. Canadian retail prices and their sales are pathetic compared to the US I rarely buy from here haha.

I've spent about $1800CAD since May 2011, Castle and non-castle which is not too bad considering I did have to pay premium on some of the Castles.

Someone spending $15000 in 1 year seriously?!? o_0

Will you be buying the new LOTR sets?

I want to be a responsible family man and say that I'm not going to buy any LotR sets. However when it became official that there would be LEGO LotR I did give my wife a warning that I would be spending a little more money than I normally do. Of course she just shook her head called me a "nerd". She knows how much I love LotR. At this point, I really can't say how many of the sets I will actually buy. I'm waiting until the official photos are released so I can examine them closely and then decide. I know in the end I may just be kidding myself. I want to exercise some sort of restraint but I feel that in the end, I'll be unable to resist. Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton

Time to stop collecting and start designing your own. ;) :thumbup:

PS: Welcome back from the "undead", I mean darkages. :laugh:

Yes, theres this part of me that wants to start free building MOCs but I'm in the process of obtaining another Castle (6090 Royal King's) and I still want the 6086 Black Knight's still to add to this collection.

Once I take a picture of all the Castles together *then* I think I can move on.

I an completely empathize with you as a Dad of 43 whos sons is obsessed with lego, I have come back to it myself and have been collecting and building. I enjoy it mostly because my boys do but I remember when i was young and it was my obsession as well. I would just like to have time to myself to build my own creations. But soon that will happen.

LMW

Welcome back to the Lego craziness, wow looks like you have more than made up for those years of absence, nice collection

ihira - welcome! Nice collection of old castles. But are you interested in the even older ones? From the '80s?

As for the 6086 Black Knight castle- it's great, I don't have it and on ebay the prices of this set are crazy...

You surely did some serious ebay shopping!

I'm 22 and originally came out my dark ages back in 2007 with about 7 or so star wars sets, after a 5 year gap. I didn't go mad and entered another dark age shortly after. The toy story sets brought me back to lego in 2010, and really got into lego again picking up a few of the kingdoms set, loads of star wars, potc, modulars, ( missed cafe corner, and market street in my second dark age), and the superheroes. I had 6090 when i was a kid and really want it again, but the CC came first.

Edited by brickingit