Sign in to follow this  
MassEditor

Ch. III, Cat. B: Go No Further

The dwarves had travelled for days to find the old Avalonian trail. Perched high above a raging river, the trail proved to be as treacherous as the elders had warned. Several dwarves, encumbered in heavy armor and laden with weapons for the march into Avalonia, fell to their doom in the ravine below. But the dwarven war party had no other options. Despite the dwarves' efforts at keeping their invasion plans a secret, the elves had systematically flooded and caved-in every tunnel leading to Avalonia. The mountain trail was the last way into the elven lands from Mitgardia, barring a full-blown invasion through the plains connecting the two lands.

16254152351_0012b7a04a_z.jpg

Treason and betrayal were on the lips of every dwarven soldier as they slogged along the perilous trail. How had the elves - and their Drow allies - discovered the dwarven war plans?

The minds of most in the war party were on these matters when they heard a call from the path ahead. Several elven archers appeared from among the boulders and trees. Another, clad in ornate battlemage armor, strode forward to address the dwarves.

"My dwarven brethren, your tunnels are flooded, your plans laid bare... Why do you continue with your aggression against our lands? Your ancestors strove to build the good relations which have allowed Mitgardia and Avalonia to prosper together. Now you seek to undue this?"

16255256452_76bae50d4e_z.jpg

The dwarves, surprised at the suddenness of the elves' appearance, chatted among themselves for a moment, eyeing suspiciously the elves ahead. The party's commander stepped forward, unsheathing his sword as he approached.

"Elves, our fight is not with you unless you continue to stand in our way. Now move aside, and we will cleanse your lands of the Drow scourge which you have been unable to contain."

The elven battlemage did not move.

"You expect us to stand aside as you invade our lands and lay waste to what the Drow have not already destroyed? We appreciate your willingness to fight, but we will not let you into Avalonia as long as you come outfitted for war. Lay down your arms, and we will invite you into our homes and offer your our utmost hospitality."

The elf's words soothed the fiery spirit of some of the younger dwarves in the war party. The decision to invade Avalonia was a mystery to them - why should dwarves lose their lives in Avalonia when Mitgardia faces its own troubles? But the elder dwarves in the war party did not share these worries.

"You would stop us from destroying the Drow? So there is no doubt - your people have chosen to share council with the Drow. Move aside now or you will be treated as we treat all our enemies."

Again the elves did not move.

"You speak nonsense, we have lost many in our fight against the Drow. But will not tolerate any hostile, foreign army entering out lands. Dwarf-chieftain, you shall go no further."

The dwarf laughed and began to advance.

"It will take more than a few elves to stop our mission. I have several companies on this path, so I hope you came prepared for a fight!"

The dwarven soldiers had barely taken a step forward when a sharp crack rang through the air, as if lightening had struck the mountainside. The cliff quaked, and began to disintegrate in front of the dwarves' eyes. Boulders and trees slid into the river below. An impassable crevice formed along the path, the result of powerful magic cast by the elven battlemage.

16255256432_61f1905604_z.jpg

Thrown off his feat, the dwarf chieftain looked back to see his soldiers fleeing from the collapsing mountainside. He picked himself up and joined them in their retreat, not before shouting a few curses upon the elves. He could hear the battlemage's reply above the rumbling landslide.

16254152581_284f97b5ea_z.jpg

"I hope your leaders will seek wiser council! The elves do not wish for bloodshed, not on our side nor yours. If you wish to continue this aggression, your options are few. There is but one way left into Avalonia and here the full might of Avalonia will be arrayed!"

--------------------------------------

A pic of the full MOC and another angle of the rockslide:

16068227708_e8957ccd93_z.jpg

16255255992_2484cc2444_z.jpg

--------------------------------------

Greetings! Finally got this Ch. III build done for Cat. B on the men's side. I wasn't particularly happy with the way the exploding mountainside turned out - I kept waiting for it all to come together in the end, but it didn't quite get there! This build had several reincarnations but didn't quite get what I originally had in mind. I feel like, with some more time, I could really make this one pop, but the holidays and life in general got the better of me. I've got my Cat. C builds in the works, but despite setting aside today for nothing but building, I don't think I'll have them done and photographed in time. They'll make a great post-challenge freebuild though!

Anyways, thanks for looking and feedback is always welcomed!

Edited by MassEditor

This is a fantastic build! The rockwork is superb, all te detail in the build is great, and the story is well done :)

Amazing build! Both the static and exploding rockwork is top notch!

Typing aloud here, I wonder what it would look like if the split surfaces of the exploding rocks had some trans-blue/red/neon-orange/neon-green/etc. covering them and the battlemage had a 1x1 round or two in his hands?

Fantastic entry MassEditor, the rock-work here is superb! I really like all the exposed studs, and the river, trees, and other vegetation give some color that makes this build stand out! :moar:

Great story as well, and the avalanche in motion is very well executed - I dare say this is one of the best entries that I've seen! :sweet:

Superb rockwork ME and as said on flickR go for more non nocturnus builds you rock! :)

That is just awesome.

Thanks Graham!

This is a fantastic build! The rockwork is superb, all te detail in the build is great, and the story is well done :)

Thanks a ton LordDan!

Very nice build and the detailing is just beautiful. :wink:

I appreciate that Behemoth!

Legendary work here, no doubt!

Thanks!

Amazing build! Both the static and exploding rockwork is top notch!

Typing aloud here, I wonder what it would look like if the split surfaces of the exploding rocks had some trans-blue/red/neon-orange/neon-green/etc. covering them and the battlemage had a 1x1 round or two in his hands?

Man, that is a great idea! That would give the rocks a nice "being affected by magic" look. I kinda want to mess with this build before I tear it down, I'll have to give this idea a try. Thanks for the feedback!

Fantastic entry MassEditor, the rock-work here is superb! I really like all the exposed studs, and the river, trees, and other vegetation give some color that makes this build stand out! :moar:

Great story as well, and the avalanche in motion is very well executed - I dare say this is one of the best entries that I've seen! :sweet:

Wow, thanks Garmadon, glad you liked it!

Superb rockwork ME and as said on flickR go for more non nocturnus builds you rock! :)

Haha, thank you sir! I have to admit, it's been fun building outside the Darklands for a change. It can get a little depressing over there at times! :laugh:

Absolutely breathtaking build! The rockwork is topnotch! The trees are excellent as well, overall a fantastic scene! The falling rocks are well achieved, great job! Lovely story as well! One question, isn't this longer than 32 studs? Or are you allowed to make the build any size and shape you want as long as you stay within the same stud count as 32x32?

Hey Matthew, thanks for the feedback! Hmm... now I'm a little concerned though! The dimensions are 16x64, which is the same number of studs as a 32x32. In the past I have seen challenge build limitations based on stud count rather than actual dimensions - I hope this is true with the Ch. III builds!

Excellent build, ME!

The rockwork and exploding rocks are both very well done! Nice build and story to accompany! I really like the dark green mottled throughout the rocks in contrast to the brighter foliage in the trees.

I am pretty sure someone else asked and it was stated in the entry thread that 16x64 would be acceptable, but I did not verify for sure.

Really love the rockwork here :wub: The trees growing out of the cliff are fabulous as well :thumbup:

Great to have you on the men's side, you should be alright with the base size as in the past its the stud count that's mattered. Not the arrangement of those studs :classic:

This is so lush. Not only an excellent cliff build, but the greenery makes this feel like a very rainforest-y part of Avalonia. I do agree that some more magic special effects would have helped with the impact of the battlemage's spell, but I also like the subtlety.

I'd say this is one of your best works so far.. The exploding/moving rock, the rockwork that looks like doing all kinds of weird angles, figure posing, foliage, moss growth on the rocks, everything top-notch!

Fantastic job, the rockwork is really impressive and the trees and greenery combined with the water give the build a nice colorful feel! The exploding rock is brilliant and well done! It's true that it doesn't quite pop on the overview like maybe it should; I think because it takes a few seconds to distinguish the exploding portions of rock from the rest of the rockwork - it tends to all blend in. Maybe if those sections had been completely or predominately light grey?

Nice job ME. As usual a great representation of skills are evident here. I like the rockwork, but agree that the explosion doesn't pop as it could. I have had those same moments where I thought everything would come together and it never looked the same as it did in my mind! Still a great build, so be proud!

Nice job ME. As usual a great representation of skills are evident here. I like the rockwork, but agree that the explosion doesn't pop as it could. I have had those same moments where I thought everything would come together and it never looked the same as it did in my mind! Still a great build, so be proud!

Thanks a lot Kayne, glad I'm not the only one with that problem! :laugh:

Fantastic job, the rockwork is really impressive and the trees and greenery combined with the water give the build a nice colorful feel! The exploding rock is brilliant and well done! It's true that it doesn't quite pop on the overview like maybe it should; I think because it takes a few seconds to distinguish the exploding portions of rock from the rest of the rockwork - it tends to all blend in. Maybe if those sections had been completely or predominately light grey?

Thanks Kai, for the feedback and suggestion! I tried using light bley for the exploded sections but then they looked a little too out of place. I was thinking an easy fix would be to extend the exploded rock further away from the cliffside, but I was afraid of pushing the "reasonable overhang" requirement a little too far.

Impressive build. Despite your feelings on the matter I feel the exploding rocks are well done.

Thanks blufiji!

That rockwork is just so inspiring. I really like this build.

Thanks bud!

Holy Lego. This is brilliant Mass, great rock work, fantastic story, and action!

Thanks LV, glad to see you back!

I'd say this is one of your best works so far.. The exploding/moving rock, the rockwork that looks like doing all kinds of weird angles, figure posing, foliage, moss growth on the rocks, everything top-notch!

Thank you very much Jorrith!

This is so lush. Not only an excellent cliff build, but the greenery makes this feel like a very rainforest-y part of Avalonia. I do agree that some more magic special effects would have helped with the impact of the battlemage's spell, but I also like the subtlety.

Thanks man! Yeah this is my first Avalonian build and I figured the key was loads of trees and plants!

This is mastery of rockwork! Very well done.

Thanks Captain!

Really love the rockwork here :wub: The trees growing out of the cliff are fabulous as well :thumbup:

Great to have you on the men's side, you should be alright with the base size as in the past its the stud count that's mattered. Not the arrangement of those studs :classic:

Thanks SK, glad to know I'm ok on the dimensions here!

Wow! This build is really impressive! Superb rockwork!

Thanks Andrew, I'm looking forward to your contributions around here!

Excellent build, ME!

The rockwork and exploding rocks are both very well done! Nice build and story to accompany! I really like the dark green mottled throughout the rocks in contrast to the brighter foliage in the trees.

I am pretty sure someone else asked and it was stated in the entry thread that 16x64 would be acceptable, but I did not verify for sure.

Thanks Slegengr! I've become quite partial to that dark green!

This is really brilliant and I really like the rocks in connection to the river below. No clue why you are so hard on yourself.

Stunning :thumbup:

I want say much, i think the picture says it all. Great idea and build, love the way You did that mountain side and that wegetation around.

Keep up the good work :blush: