mccoyed

Book 2 Challenge 3: Category A: Old Faces

The main forces of the dwarf army prepare to advance into Avalonia. Meanwhile, scouting parties range through the borderlands in search of drow. Occasionally, they encounter remnants of the ancient dwarven civilization that once stretched across all the North and West of Historica. They pause to pay their respects to the dwarven kings of old, buried as they are beneath centuries worth of earth, stone, and memory.

15635188465_a946db8a0a_z.jpg

Figless:

15632509621_9cc7d73a26_z.jpg

What an awesome abandoned statue! I love the way you tilted it and how eroded it seems.

Edited by Zblj

Very nice base! And I really like the use of the normal green. It's good to see something that's not all olive and sand green.

Oh jeez, this is fantastic. The angle and the olive green as moss make this quite special. :thumbup:

This looks like it would fit pretty closely to something I'm working on. I think old ruined mocs can be much more interesting than other ones and I think you've shown that potential here.

Great work, the olive green and the tilt really make this stand out! Love the inclusion of the seagull! :thumbup:

Edited by Kai NRG

Really nice interpretation of the category! The tilt of the head makes a huge improvement of the overall impression as well :classic:

The picture quality seems better on the figless picture however?

What an awesome abandoned statue! I love the way you tilted it and how eroded it seems.

Thanks!

Very nice base! And I really like the use of the normal green. It's good to see something that's not all olive and sand green.

Agreed. Since this is Avalonia, I thought a richer green would be good.

This is just great! I love the angle and the moss.

Thanks!

Very cool statue :) I love the part usage for it :)

Oh yeah? Which parts specifically? :P

Very nice approach, the angle really makes this look great.

Thanks, Vit!

Nice! Great work!

Thanks!

This looks like it would fit pretty closely to something I'm working on. I think old ruined mocs can be much more interesting than other ones and I think you've shown that potential here.

I struggled with how to differentiate this from the other two builds posted so far. I think that is the true challenge with Category A.

That looks awesome! Love the way it's tilted!

Thanks LV!

Great work, the olive green and the tilt really make this stand out! Love the inclusion of the seagull! :thumbup:

Heh. Glad someone noticed that!

Really nice interpretation of the category! The tilt of the head makes a huge improvement of the overall impression as well :classic:

The picture quality seems better on the figless picture however?

Yes. Something with the light quality. I took the figless pic the night before, with only my lamps and main kitchen light. The next day was a bit overcast and there was a lot of natural light plus the lamps and kitchen light. Not sure why the pics came out the way they did, but I did try to experiment with the lighting to compensate. You'll see four versions of the final pic on Flickr with different lighting. One turned out a bit blurry and I thought of using it because it almost gives an impression of mistiness. Decided that clarity was better.

Nice build, mccoyed!

I also like the tilt of the head, the olive green moss, and the normal green grass. The aged and crumbling look to the statue is nicely done.

Very nice build! All of the details are great, like how it has that little tree growing from out of the tilt. The border makes it look neat and tidy. Nice work!

Great work again, an awesome and unique take on this challenge! I was wondering how some newer entries would compete with the ChIII builds we've already seen, but this is certainly a match in my opinion. The weathered, mossy look of the statue head is expertly done. The border is quite nifty too!

Nice build, mccoyed!

I also like the tilt of the head, the olive green moss, and the normal green grass. The aged and crumbling look to the statue is nicely done.

Thanks! I worried quite a bit that no one would be able to tell what it is.

Wow, impressive work on that dwarf statue head! :classic:

Thanks!

Very nice build! All of the details are great, like how it has that little tree growing from out of the tilt. The border makes it look neat and tidy. Nice work!

That tree is one of my favorite parts too and was a bit of a last minute addition. That corner of the build just felt empty and weird without it.

Great work again, an awesome and unique take on this challenge! I was wondering how some newer entries would compete with the ChIII builds we've already seen, but this is certainly a match in my opinion. The weathered, mossy look of the statue head is expertly done. The border is quite nifty too!

Thanks, ME! The border was an attempt to come up with something that seemed Mitgardian but also specifically dwarven.

This is just wow... The angled head, and the weathering on it makes it look real old. Also love the base.

Cool, the angled statue head looks great! It kind of reminds me of some of the statues you see in the south pacific, actually. Really nice job!

This is dead on! I love the face, and the way you've made it really seem to have been around forever.

The idea behind this build is epic but carrying it out like this genius. So this is probably my favourite build by you yet and I really would like you to continue to contribute to the Mitgardian cause like this!

Fantastic. Love it!

Thanks Ces!

This is just wow... The angled head, and the weathering on it makes it look real old. Also love the base.

Thanks Jorrith!

Cool, the angled statue head looks great! It kind of reminds me of some of the statues you see in the south pacific, actually. Really nice job!

I based it off some concept stuff for The Hobbit movies. I thought of using it for the MEC contest but decided it belonged with GoH. Anyway, I'd bet that Jackson's concept artists based some of their work on stuff like the Easter Island statues so that's a good call.

This is dead on! I love the face, and the way you've made it really seem to have been around forever.

Thanks Kayne!

The idea behind this build is epic but carrying it out like this genius. So this is probably my favourite build by you yet and I really would like you to continue to contribute to the Mitgardian cause like this!

Thanks, Kabel. I really appreciate that. And don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I've been excited to build for dwarves for a long time, even before I joined GoH. Some of that enthusiasm must be making me up my game.

Brilliant to make a ruined statue and you pulled it off very well :thumbup: Superb border too, the way you incorporated Mitgardian colors works nicely :classic: