Hinckley

Captain Green Hair and Mr. Tiber's Steampunk Pirate Ship

indexed.gifthindexedgif.gif 72d

Here is the latest MOC from my comic, The Many Adventures of the Whacker and the Walrus: Captain Green Hair and Mr. Tiber's Steampunk Pirate Ship:

green_hair_steampunk_00.jpg

See the full gallery here

This is one reason why issue #6 (entitled: What's a Tiber?) has been so delayed. I meant to make a simple little steampunk ship which is where most of the issue's action takes place. But then I went to the museum and saw a model of the Santa Maria and thought it would be cool to make a detailed Pirate ship, which I made steampunk with some inspiration from my favorite steampunk creation, the Radiant Kestral (not mine). Then I got on MSN with Captain Green Hair and started asking advice. He gave me a lot of great advice :wub: but once it came to adding the engines, the decks and the sails I wanted it to be a surprise so I moved forward without his wise words. Which, may not have been the greatest idea based on my pathetic attempts to follow his string rigging tutorial:

green_hair_steampunk_11.jpggreen_hair_steampunk_14.jpggreen_hair_steampunk_15.jpg

Click pics to see closeups

I used twine that may have been too thick and then I gave up on all the little details that make Captain Green Hair's ships look so wonderful. The string rigging was hard and I admit I'm not sure I quite have the passion for Pirate building to try it again next time. I improvised with the netting trick you can see in the pics. I may stick to the good old brown ABS rigging in the future. But it was a fun learning experience and Captain Green Hair gave some excellent guidance along the way. That guy loves this stuff and he's more than willing to share his expertise. :classic::thumbup: Thanks Captain Green Hair!

But I did sew my own sales, which turned out okay :look: and there are a lot of little details I really enjoyed making like the bowsprite which I didn't know what it was even until CGH explained it:

green_hair_steampunk_16.jpggreen_hair_steampunk_23.jpggreen_hair_steampunk_03.jpg

Click pics to see closeups

So, now that that's done, I'm off to finally start filming the new issue. I've spent so much time on this one, I had to cut plans for Ras's house :cry_sad: (Sorry, Ras!) but we'll see that in the future. But I'm excited to see people's feedback. This is new territory for me, so advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and I hope you enjoy checking out my new creation...and just like the Captain Green Hair's creation-"Mr. Tiber's Telesell"-may the confusion about whose creation this is begin :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great work I love all the little details you've thrown into this ship :oh: . The dragon looks great as a figure head, are those small black dragons on the rail custom. Is there an interior for this ship, as there are no pics of an intterior. I hope to build something as big as this ship one day :thumbup: .

A wonderful work, plain charming and very creative indeed. If Captain Nemo had commanded a flying wooden

steam ship instead of his Nautilus submarine I´m pretty sure it would´ve looked exactly like that! :cry_happy::thumbup:

Great ship, I absolutely love it :wub: and I'm looking forward to seeing it in the next episode of The Whacker & The Walrus. :grin:

And also, thanks for making me aware of the Radiant-Kestrel, hadn't seen it before, it's great :wub:

Great work I love all the little details you've thrown into this ship :oh: . The dragon looks great as a figure head, are those small black dragons on the rail custom. Is there an interior for this ship, as there are no pics of an intterior. I hope to build something as big as this ship one day :thumbup: .

The small black dragons come from 4766 Graveyard Duel.

A wonderful work, plain charming and very creative indeed. If Captain Nemo had commanded a flying wooden

steam ship instead of his Nautilus submarine I´m pretty sure it would´ve looked exactly like that! :cry_happy::thumbup:

Somehow I think it's more likely that it would be commanded by Robur than Captain Nemo. :wink: But yes, it would have fitted perfectly into a Jules Verne novel :classic:

Edited by Quarryman

Wow, this is really something! It made me smile. :classic:

You've done a very nice job with the overall shape of the ship. I like how you've taken advantage of the fact it wouldn't be water bound by adding various windows and designs on the lower hull. The use of a wagon wheel as a window looks very nice.

All the steampunk details are neat. I especially like the front mast thing (the bow, I believe?) and the area behind the steering platform (heh heh, perhaps a pirate could help me out with the terms? :tongue:)

The only thing I don't like is the TIE Fighter windscreen... I think the idea of a big window there is good, but this one just looks out of place to me.

I don't know what this ship is going to be used for, but wouldn't it be wise to have some sort of weaponry on board? I see what looks like a cannon port [here], but I don't think it'd be much use, because it'd just shoot the engine. I believe a large steam cannon on the deck could look pretty cool.

Overall this is a very cool creation. I look forward to the comic!

I really like it!

This MOC makes me want to build something similar. :sweet:

I love the windows on the sides of the lower stern :thumbup:

Hopefully you'll be able to master cap'n green hair's rigging techniques soon.

I know i haven't. :look:

I'm still trying though. :cry_happy:

It looks like Cap'n Green Hair combed his hair. :laugh:

P

:oh3: NIIICE!

Such detail! I love it! Even though it doesn't make sense whatsoever how this monstrocity is supposed to stay airborne with just 2 engines! :wacko:

Gotta love air pirates! :wink:

Beautiful! If any single part screams steampunk ship to me, it's the TIE cockpit, and there it is, right where I'd want it.

Hmmm... I need to learn what it's called, but the railing/hull top between the fore and aft sections, the area in the dead center where it curves down... LOVE IT. My eye is drawn straight there by it's perfect shape.

I can definitely see the Santa Maria influence in her hull, and the rigging setup looks fine to me. With steampunk, I never expect fancy ships rigging since it isn't being relied upon for full propulsion. Oh, and I think the netting trick works well too. :thumbup:

It's just seriously amazing, I can find no actual fault with it, but I'm required by the laws of commentary on Hinckley creations to come up with one. :devil:

So, what's up with that tan railing. Not sure why it just nags at me to be a different colour, but it does. :wink:

Now I just have to figure out how to convince Mister Phes that this constitutes a Pirate creation so we can frontpage it when the associated issue of The Whacker and the Walrus comes out, for some nice cross promotion. :jollyroger:

Hinckley, you are amazing! :cry_happy:

This is simply stunning, you have put a tremendous effort into it, and this shows! I like the general shape, it is very well done, with a sleek and fitting hull, although I do think it could curve up a little more at the front perhaps. But then again, who am I to know! :tongue: The colour scheme is also very fitting. :sweet:

The engines are nicely built, a good use of greebles on the top. I think the rigging looks great, and you've done an awesome job on making those sails yourself.

The back section is very nice, some great details and a nice use of the TIE cockpit. :wink: Dose thos ship have interior? I guess we'll find out in the next episode...

Oh, and I love the figurehead, a very good choice. :laugh::wink:

Anyway, a great job overall, I can't wait to see the comic, this certainly sets the standard! :thumbup:

This is awesome. Really awesome. Awesomely awesome. Did I mention it's awesome?

I love all the small details which add up to make it truly great.

Awesome job.

:laugh: That's...Nice, cute, cool? The thought of seeing a full sailing ship bobbing through the air...

Anyway, the ship is beautiful. The sails are great, and the hull is very well built.

But...why is Alex mounted on the stern? :cry_sad:

green_hair_steampunk_20.jpg

One critique: I think you should either raise the engines higher or add another pair. It looks like too much wind could push the sails forward, and the whole ship would somersault... I'm no expert on flying ships, but that doesn't sound good! :tongue:

mando_helmet_viking_2.png

That's just plain incredible. :oh: The amount of detail is superb. You left nothing untouched!

Plus, the idea of a steampunk pirate ship is just sooooo cool! :wub: (Unique, too. I've never seen a steamifyed pirate vessel! :thumbup: )

Whoa...that's just plain incredible! I love the colour scheme (bar the tan rail), and as someone stated previously the TIE cockpit fits in great. Awesome engines too, I love the clear round look of them. Nice use of the brown gate and other pieces too, this really is a work of art. The overall shape is awesome, I love the slightly stubby look, and the idea of a steampunk pirate vessel is just too cool.

Great work Hinckley and I look forward to the episode!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

GASP!!!! :oh::oh: Hands down, that's the best airship I've ever seen. The parts, the proportions, the colours, everything fits together flawlessly. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is amazing Hinckley!! I love it!!

Just look at all those details.

I really wouldn't mind if one would start to think it was me who build this. :tongue::blush:

Interesting idea, pirate ships and steampunk. Brilliant.

What does concern me though, is CGH straightent hair.. :look:

And I believe he has just lost his left hand!! :sing:

Really looking forward to the episode. I also wonder what's a Tiber..

This is an incredible MOC. I love the ship very much! It's massive and huge! Wonder if you guys got watch Stardust? It reminded me of the air-ship too :blush: Great job guys! :thumbup::thumbup:

That's just plain incredible.
Whoa...that's just plain incredible!

Do I sense some copying going on? :wink:

I have to say, this is a fantastic MOC Hinckley. I love Steampunk, and large MOCs (never really attempted one myself though), and this is a superb example of both. I looks a bit, well, fat. But I think that adds to the character of the good ship. And Pirate ships are pretty cool anyway.

:wub: This is stunning work... and a great change of pace for someone who makes mostly buildings! :laugh: Perhaps Steampunk is your true calling? Steampunk MOCs often work (or don't work) due to the details, and you have always been good at those. My favourite feature is the rudder; it makes no sense at all, but Steampunk isn't supposed to make sense! :tongue:

While looking at the photos I thought of a few things I didn't like, but I seemed to have forgotten them. Perhaps the overall impression of the MOC makes me overlook its flaws... or maybe I'm getting old. :blush: You pick! :laugh:

Thanks. And as Quarryman pointed out, the little dragons are from 4766 Graveyard Duel. Those were the last pieces I put on the MOC. A last minute bit of inspiration. I was grabbing snakes for the stern and found the baby dragons and knew they would make a great little finishing touch. It give the ship that extra bit of personality and I couldn't imagine the ship without them.

And also, thanks for making me aware of the Radiant-Kestrel, hadn't seen it before, it's great :wub:

I really found that creation very inspiring. I can't point to any technique I used from it, besides the Tie cockpits :blush: but the feeling is one I was striving for. Thanks for the feedback!

Wow, this is really something! It made me smile. :classic:

You've done a very nice job with the overall shape of the ship. I like how you've taken advantage of the fact it wouldn't be water bound by adding various windows and designs on the lower hull. The use of a wagon wheel as a window looks very nice.

All the steampunk details are neat. I especially like the front mast thing (the bow, I believe?) and the area behind the steering platform (heh heh, perhaps a pirate could help me out with the terms? :tongue:)

The only thing I don't like is the TIE Fighter windscreen... I think the idea of a big window there is good, but this one just looks out of place to me.

I don't know what this ship is going to be used for, but wouldn't it be wise to have some sort of weaponry on board? I see what looks like a cannon port [here], but I don't think it'd be much use, because it'd just shoot the engine. I believe a large steam cannon on the deck could look pretty cool.

Overall this is a very cool creation. I look forward to the comic!

Thank man! All good points as usual. The mast thingy on the front is called a bowsprite. I learned that from chatting with Captain Green Hair. And yes, there are cannons behind those ports and they do aim right past the tank. They are stealth cannons, you wouldn't expect them and you can't see them. They're under the deck though, so I didn't take any photographs of them as I was tired when I was photographing and posting it. I will think about a steam-cannon, but there are two more ports on the stern I haven't added weapons to yet...Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad it made you smile.
I really like it!

It looks like Cap'n Green Hair combed his hair. :laugh:

P

Thanks phred! I enjoy getting feedback from real Pirates! Captain Green Hair combed his hair when he saw he would be photographed.

:oh3: NIIICE!

Such detail! I love it! Even though it doesn't make sense whatsoever how this monstrocity is supposed to stay airborne with just 2 engines! :wacko:

Gotta love air pirates! :wink:

Thanks and good point. I guess it's imagination-powered. :sceptic:

:laugh:

Beautiful! If any single part screams steampunk ship to me, it's the TIE cockpit, and there it is, right where I'd want it.

Hmmm... I need to learn what it's called, but the railing/hull top between the fore and aft sections, the area in the dead center where it curves down... LOVE IT. My eye is drawn straight there by it's perfect shape.

I can definitely see the Santa Maria influence in her hull, and the rigging setup looks fine to me. With steampunk, I never expect fancy ships rigging since it isn't being relied upon for full propulsion. Oh, and I think the netting trick works well too. :thumbup:

It's just seriously amazing, I can find no actual fault with it, but I'm required by the laws of commentary on Hinckley creations to come up with one. :devil:

So, what's up with that tan railing. Not sure why it just nags at me to be a different colour, but it does. :wink:

Now I just have to figure out how to convince Mister Phes that this constitutes a Pirate creation so we can frontpage it when the associated issue of The Whacker and the Walrus comes out, for some nice cross promotion. :jollyroger:

Thanks! And screw you with the tan railings. I thought we were friends. :tongue: The railing/hull top curving down was really fun to build and I love the way it turned out.

Cross-promotion? I need no promotion. I'm not in it for the glory, I'm in it for the art... :blush: ..whatever. Cross-promotion sounds great, let's talk about it...

Hinckley, you are amazing! :cry_happy:

This is simply stunning, you have put a tremendous effort into it, and this shows! I like the general shape, it is very well done, with a sleek and fitting hull, although I do ...

The back section is very nice, some great details and a nice use of the TIE cockpit. :wink: Dose thos ship have interior? I guess we'll find out in the next episode...

Thanks so much dragonator! I had big plans for the interior, and Captain Green Hair had a request list, but I gave up on that for time's sake. It was taking me forever to build it. The interior will be shown in upcoming episodes and I will probably build them separately for photographing purposes...

But where is my jacuzzi? :pir-look:

See? :laugh:

Thanks again for the help Captain Green Hair!

:laugh: That's...Nice, cute, cool? The thought of seeing a full sailing ship bobbing through the air...

Anyway, the ship is beautiful. The sails are great, and the hull is very well built.

But...why is Alex mounted on the stern? :cry_sad:

Mr. Tiber is an expert fisherman... :cry_sad: Just kidding. I liked the nautical feel of it and thought it made a nice ornamental stern.

One critique: I think you should either raise the engines higher or add another pair. It looks like too much wind could push the sails forward, and the whole ship would somersault... I'm no expert on flying ships, but that doesn't sound good! :tongue:

This is a great point. Shut up.

:tongue: Of course, I'm joking. This is probably a subject for a smarty like Sinner, but I believe you're right. Not to mention that without a tail rotor it may counter-spin against the current rotors and be impossible to manage anyway...I think *huh*

Ugh, I've been replying for too long and I have much work to do, so I shall thank everyone for the excellent feedback and hope I can show you this MOC soon in a fun comic! :classic:

This is probably a subject for a smarty like Sinner, but I believe you're right. Not to mention that without a tail rotor it may counter-spin against the current rotors and be impossible to manage anyway...I think *huh*

I thought the same thing, but didn't say it as I don't think Steampunk should be held to the same standards. The simple fact is it is it is impossible to make a steam powered flying ship. Thus alternate realities or some sort of fantasical power source has to be assumed. As for counter spin your ship is safe as it has two rotors. One would spin clockwise, the other counter-clockwise, cancelling out the spin. No counter force is needed.

I thought the same thing, but didn't say it as I don't think Steampunk should be held to the same standards. The simple fact is it is it is impossible to make a steam powered flying ship. Thus alternate realities or some sort of fantasical power source has to be assumed. As for counter spin your ship is safe as it has two rotors. One would spin clockwise, the other counter-clockwise, cancelling out the spin. No counter force is needed.

Oh, right. That makes sense. Is the rudder useful?

Oh, right. That makes sense. Is the rudder useful?

At that speed and out of the airflow? Not really... but it's funny! :tongue:

EDIT: For example;

sl0027030.jpg

Note that in addition to having large projecting fins, it also has rotatable engines that can be used to steer. But I wasn't aware that you were going for reality with this. Afterall, I wasn't with my Mobile Still. (No way could you make a tank that was self powered. It's pure fantasy! :laugh: )

Ive just started to move into other themed forums (other than castle and SW) and i have to say bravo! (mainly cause all other adjectives have been used)

The amt of time and bricks you have invested in this steam punk project have paid off

Cheers :thumbup:

Keep up the good work!

ISC