The Great Plains south of Avalonia, On the territory of Arfelan.

Recently military activity increased more than usual and this has been sighted on the plains, reports have stated that a rogue band of Avalonians go on the villages murdering and destroying everything on their erratic path.

On previous encounters the Justicators of Arfelan had dealed with them properly, but on these times there is no sign of them nor of Arfelan leaders.

Their absence have let the borders insecure and the Kaliphnites forces garrisoned near the southern pass had set to encounter them, but the scouts have informed that the forces may be stronger than anticipated...

img_9997.jpg

img_4113.jpg

img_4111.jpg

img_4115.jpg

This is a display test for minifigs battle formations, terrain and posing. I want to display a castle diorama on an event, but have struggled to find the more efficient way to depict a kind of realistic medieval conflict with the resources I have at disposal,(there are 6 baseplates of 32x32 for this test (there is the possibility to display 36 bases))

I mean I would love to have a battle of thousands of thousands of figs(like the many ones I have seen online and many here), but currently I have only maybe 200 for each side and dont know how to trick the eye so it can be seen as a more bigger army. I will try to use tents, siege equipment, transportation supplies and vegetation to fill gaps.

Any advice, critic, or comment is very appreciated. Greetings. :)

Edited by Niku

I wish i had that many troops! Great scene, When using vegitation if you dont have enough to cover the entire thing try to group it together insted of spreading it out. Just a suggestion.

Awesome amount of figs!

As BC said, a bit more vegetationwould add a lot.

That's quite a good sized battle scene :thumbup: Elevation change, ground texturing, and rock formations all break up uniform grass nicely :classic:

Hmm you're using Brickshelf, I'm not sure if it's a country thing but Brickshelf pics are and never have been viewable for me, I would suggest using Flickr instead but since everybody else here can see it maybe it's just me.

Impressive army and fine posing! I'm not really familiar with medieval battle strategies, but if you haven't already, I would advise you to do some research and try to replicate that. I think it looks good enough as it is now. :knight::thumbup: For the terrain, I would use a bit more green tiles. In case the battle has been going on for some time: more brown and some clumps of grass to show scars of war on the landscape.

Quite the collection of troops there! As others suggested, some more vegetation would be good here, and really like the idea of some tents and such as well :thumbup:

Impressive battle. Though I don't know how likely such a encounter between Avalonia and Kaliphlin would be at the moment. But of course it can be a historical battle scene. I would love a shot of the infantry running into each other.

Nicely done, some thicker vegetation might really improve it though.

Thanks, will surely try to add more folliage to improve it.

I wish i had that many troops! Great scene, When using vegitation if you dont have enough to cover the entire thing try to group it together insted of spreading it out. Just a suggestion.

I certanly will take your advice on notice, I think will look better grouping and focusing in certain places rather than spreading it out in a thin way. Thanks a lot.

Awesome amount of figs!

As BC said, a bit more vegetationwould add a lot.

Thank you too Titus!

That's quite a good sized battle scene :thumbup: Elevation change, ground texturing, and rock formations all break up uniform grass nicely :classic:

You are right, I will try them altought not very good at elevation change for doing it smoothly, will have ot search some examples of it. Thanks SK :)

Hmm you're using Brickshelf, I'm not sure if it's a country thing but Brickshelf pics are and never have been viewable for me, I would suggest using Flickr instead but since everybody else here can see it maybe it's just me.

Well I will have to migrate to Flickr because is not normal what you tell me, Thanks for the advice Isundir. :thumbup:

Impressive army and fine posing! I'm not really familiar with medieval battle strategies, but if you haven't already, I would advise you to do some research and try to replicate that. I think it looks good enough as it is now. :knight::thumbup: For the terrain, I would use a bit more green tiles. In case the battle has been going on for some time: more brown and some clumps of grass to show scars of war on the landscape.

Thanks Exetrius, I had made some research about battle formations they usually place the cavalry on the wings protecting the flanks, skirmish and archers on the front lines and the bulk of the army on the next two main lines, but if anyone can suggest a more precise source I will apprecciate it much. Now I just have been able to search on Wiki and Youtube :grin:

Quite the collection of troops there! As others suggested, some more vegetation would be good here, and really like the idea of some tents and such as well :thumbup:

Surely it will be add, I am working on the improving material to update this thread as soon as possible. Thanks for your sugestion LJ. :thumbup:

Impressive battle. Though I don't know how likely such a encounter between Avalonia and Kaliphlin would be at the moment. But of course it can be a historical battle scene. I would love a shot of the infantry running into each other.

Thank you Jacob, to be honest this is an isolated case of conflict, between some rogue Avalonians and the borders guards from Kaliphlin. I doubt will have more repercusions than just the territory of Arfelan, that I hope. :laugh::devil:

Also will try to get that shot of the infantry to make a more realistic posing for the figs.

Thanks to all, you have helped me and motivated me even more to develop something a bit more better. Cheers. :classic:

Very strange, I would try using a different browser, though I have never had a problem with Mac Safari and Firefox, I (back in my PC days), had some trouble with chrome and IE.

Nice battle shots Niku! :thumbup: I personally feel that 200 a side is heaps for a decent battle scene, especially if you have cavalry, wagons, buildings etc. It's not just the figs and thier accessories, it's also the amount of ground that you have to landscape, and with a huge area (that you would need for 1000's of figs), that can end up looking a bit thin. I've seen a couple of battle scenes at conventions that i have felt could have been cut down to half the size and been more effective. :wink: