Sign in to follow this  
CrazyDalton777

Duplo Figures Are Fleshies?

I was looking through a LEGO catalog this morning and at the start it shows stuff for 3 year olds (Duplo) and one thing I noticed was that they all have flesh skin and not just licensed (some of it was Castle/Knights). LEGO has always used yellow as it is generic on Minifigures but this seems to defy that. I mean if Duplo figs can have flesh, why can't normal LEGO sets have them?

If you count all System sets, then I recommend you Friends. :tongue:

First, to shorten your question, there is already an official answer to the question why current minifigures are basically yellow.

LEGO-DUPLO-World-People-Set.jpg

Judging from the World People set, I think the main reason is that Duplo want to keep figures flesh skins to educate kids that there are different kinds of people on the world, and yellow figures could be misleading. For Friends minidolls and earlier girl dolls, they were simply made to appeal older consumers who don't really accept unrealistic yellow figures.

Edited by Dorayaki

If you count all System sets, then I recommend you Friends. :tongue:

First, to shorten your question, there is already an official answer to the question why current minifigures are basically yellow.

LEGO-DUPLO-World-People-Set.jpg

Judging from the World People set, I think the main reason is that Duplo want to keep figures flesh skins to educate kids that there are different kinds of people on the world, and yellow figures could be misleading. For Friends minidolls and earlier girl dolls, they were simply made to appeal older consumers who don't really accept unrealistic yellow figures.

I know why LEGO uses yellow, maybe my question was a bit unclear so here we go, "How come Duplo figures can have flesh coloured figs instead of the normal yellow?"

And thanks for the answer, it makes sense. Kids that play with system are old enough (hopefully) to understand the ethnic diversity in the world.

Edited by CrazyDalton777

I always thought that was strange. Although, only since coming out of the dark ages. As a kid, I had I think one Duplo set and I think they were yellow. But I just accepted that LEGO Figures were yellow. I never questioned skin color. Now as an adult, you see color more. I think kids are more color blind. They know people are different, but it doesn't phase them. They just want to play with other kids.

I would agree that it would be good to get more variety for System scale LEGO. I'd love more skin colors, especially females. I'm really digging nougat color of (Vitruvius, Cherokees from Lone Ranger, etc).

I always thought that was strange. Although, only since coming out of the dark ages. As a kid, I had I think one Duplo set and I think they were yellow. But I just accepted that LEGO Figures were yellow. I never questioned skin color. Now as an adult, you see color more. I think kids are more color blind. They know people are different, but it doesn't phase them. They just want to play with other kids.

I would agree that it would be good to get more variety for System scale LEGO. I'd love more skin colors, especially females. I'm really digging nougat color of (Vitruvius, Cherokees from Lone Ranger, etc).

LEGO should release minifigure sets (like they did with the scientist set) but just for Flesh colours and colours like you suggested, it can't be hard, a lot of fleshie fans out there.

Please, the non-licensed need to stay the old normal yellow. That's the old, loved, and most recognizable for everybody. I don't care, I actually encourage more fleshies but ONLY in licensed sets. Normal sets should have only yellow. Maybe city could have other colors, but please, please stay away from historic themes.

I had forgot about the Technic figures until I found this one in my old collection. It may not be mini, but it yellow. :)

post-39356-14078990336062_thumb.jpg

Lego is lying when they're claiming they chose yellow because it's a neutral, non race specific colour. Because, why did they release this set in the same period they chose this colour? And yes, even an early minifig with red skin is included. My opinion is, that they chose yellow, because in the colour palette of that era (we only had white, black, red, yellow and blue bricks then) it was the colour that most resembled the white skin colour of most Europeans. For the same reason they made blue rails, because it was the best colour for metal.

My opinion is, that they chose yellow, because in the colour palette of that era (we only had white, black, red, yellow and blue bricks then) it was the colour that most resembled the white skin colour of most Europeans. For the same reason they made blue rails, because it was the best colour for metal.

Another saying was that yellow was the earlier starting color of LEGO bricks so they wouldn't use flesh colors at first. For now since normal non-licensed minifigures can also afford exclusive colors, using yellow skin is for ethnic reasons. "Yellow people" are more often used to describe Asians in slangs so I don't think that's the reason.

Earlier figure prototypess in Duplo set weren't flesh, but the very first group of modern Duplo figures did begin with flesh.

I actually dislike the use of 'flesh' coloured minifigs. It's super annoying when you see an interesting face print, before it registers that it's not yellow. It limits the use of parts in an unnecessary manner.

I have no issue with minifigs of people who's skin is darker getting appropriately coloured pieces though. In fact, I'd encourage more of this. Vitruvius, for example, wouldn't have the same feel if he were yellow.

I'm slowly getting used to 'flesh' colours mingling with the little yellow guys, but I'd rather everyone who's skin might be white in a real life equivalent be rendered in the traditional yellow.

Yellow is hardly a neutral color which is why that explanation is stupid. It's neutral for white and Asians maybe. I mean when they made Lando they faced the fact that yellow just doesn't cut it for black people.

Yellow is hardly a neutral color which is why that explanation is stupid. It's neutral for white and Asians maybe. I mean when they made Lando they faced the fact that yellow just doesn't cut it for black people.

I think you don't appreciate the time difference involved. You are talking about the Star Wars sets, which started end of the century. I was talking about the era of the first Lego people (Duplo, maxifigs, stiffies), which were introduced around 1974, also a quarter of a century earlier. Lego didn't use flesh at all as a colour then. It would have stood out as very odd. Even colours like grey and green were very sparsely used. So the only light colours they had were yellow and white, and they used yellow for system and white for Duplo, and the occasional red for the stereotypical indians.